Archon head with Marshall full stack set-up

FatFingerBlues

Rockin that Old Time Rock & Roll
for those of you better knowledgeable about amp set ups:
I have a brand new Archon 50w head with a Marshall Full stack
I am running them as 2 parallel 8 ohms (as per the owners manual)
I was given a small box with my cabs that would allow me to run the two 8 ohm cabs in the single 16 ohm output

which way would you run it?
what are the advantages?

for those of you better knowledgeable about amp set ups:
I have a brand new Archon 50w head with a Marshall Full stack
I am running them as 2 parallel 8 ohms (as per the owners manual)
I was given a small box with my cabs that would allow me to run the two 8 ohm cabs in the single 16 ohm output

which way would you run it?
what are the advantages?
Can’t go wrong with what the manual says.

Do you notice a difference in the sound that is produced with the two different setups?
To be honest I haven't tried it yet
Only the 2 8 ohm outs
I wanted some more input before I did anything other than what the manual suggested

What is the source of this "box"? Sounds like a series connector?

With TWO 8-ohm cabs (the entire load of each cab is rated at 8 Ohms--usually by wiring two 16-ohm speakers in parallel), combining both cabs can only result in either a series 16-Ohm load, or a parallel 4-Ohm load. What does the manual say about the selector switch and the insertion of a second speaker cable? If the speaker output jacks are simply parallel wired themselves (you can see this inside the amp), then you'll get maximum power by running the two -8-ohm cabs on the 4-ohm setting. If the second speaker jack is wired to engage a different tap (usually the 4-ohm tap is most common), then you would leave the switch on the 8-ohm setting. It sounds confusing, but it all depends on how those speaker output jacks are wired.

In general, presenting an 8-ohm load to the 4-Ohm OT tap is fine--in that case, you double the reflected primary impedance to the power tubes, resulting in lower power, lower current, and in some opinions, more desirable tone. Just ask the late Howard Dumble or Eddie Van Halen! What you don't want to do is present an 8-ohm load to the 16-ohm tap. That would be bad, by halving the reflected primary impedance to the power tubes, thereby doubling the operating current and essentially melting them in place.

What says this operating manual???

Last edited:
Back