Of Stools and Men

László

Too Many Notes
So, my son-in-law's company in Chicago makes logo stools among other furniture products, and they make them for PRS and many other companies. I've got a couple of the PRS stools, and also a stool they made for Mesa. Nice stuff. I can't help but notice stools now of course! After all, Scott has trained me to look at them!

Plus they're great for playing and recording in my studio.

Yesterday I was in GC to order a mic I need, and noticed that they had Fender logo stools, both regular and with the Custom Shop logo, so I went over to see what they were like. I was honestly surprised that Fender would put their name on these. Made in China, and you can easily see what corners were cut. The rims aren't as thick/solid, the vinyl isn't as thick or tight, there is less padding, the vinyl was wrinkly, and the whole assembly felt a little flimsy.

Perhaps I'm a little biased, but you can see the difference careful USA manufacturing can make in something as basic and simple as a stool. I have nothing against imported things, but if the whole idea is to make things cheaply and cut corners...stupid.

By the way, the Fender stools weren't priced cheap.

Honestly, GC is not known for its quality... more of quantity... Every high end guitar they have at our 2 stores here in STL are usually beat to hell. (Or look like a 6 month old with a runny nose was sneezing on them) I don't even really go there anymore... I order all my accessories and stuff online. If I need any quality high end thingys, I pretty much head to Eddies' Guitars!

http://eddiesguitars.com/home.php

This thread reminds me of a skit from SNL with Sinatra... :)

So where would be a good place to pick up some of the stools your son in law makes :)
My basement needs some seating for guests ( and I am in Chicago )

my dogs have stools all over the backyard, none with logo's, but some do have legs, and seem to move all over.

Soon we cant manufacture a thing in the western world.We are supposed to be owners,not workers.Thank god for companies like your sons and PRS.And even with a 7-10 % unemployment rate in most western world we need labour force immigrants our leader says.A very strange equation if you ask me.Is it to boost productivity or to lower wages and labor standard?To me it seems goverments today deals with people.Sorry if this perhaps is political but i will never buy a chinese PRS.Hopefully i can buy a swedish stool in the future :)

About 10 years ago there was a store called "The Stool Factory" right near the Guitar Center in Tempe, AZ. I used to joke about it way too much, my wife would just roll her eyes. Stuff like, "Why would I want to go there? I carry a stool factory with me at all times." Or another, "All the doors are marked Exit Only!"

Sorry to keep the joke alive for too long.

Back