NSD

If your wife sees this, you`re screwed, blued, and tattooed. There won`t be a dog house big enough.

In my case, being sentenced to the dog house Is one of the consequences of getting a new guitar.

"Is that a new guitar?"

"Um, not exactly uh...well, it's sorta new."

"Does 'sorta' mean, like, earlier today, or yesterday?"

"Uh, it's like this..."

"OK, that's it, you're toast."

"Well, you've got the wrong knife for toast there..."

By the way, Les, the tone is friggin awesome. So now my gas list gets evens longer.

Glad you dug it!

Yeah, PRS is essentially the GAS Company. They're always coming out with something that's going to make you get out your wallet!

Here's a kinda bluesy/jazzy demo thing I whipped up for grins tonight with the Soapbar. A one minute jam. Rhythm guitar = neck pickup, lead guitar = bridge pickup.

Amp is PRS DG30, run on "edge of grit." Lead was tracked with same amp settings but with an Xotic BB pedal. There's a little delay I ran into the front of the amp on both tracks. The rhythm track has a subtle chorusing effect as well.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messy
Nice work, Les, I think you'll make a lot of converts with this clip. :)

Was out of town for the weekend... wow!!! Sorry to be late to the party, but wowza does that thing sound incredible! So precise and vocal on both parts. Gonna have to hope I can still get one of these by next year! Congrats Les!

You guys are too kind!

Would you speculate what the difference would be in the sound from the same guitar as a singlecut?

I haven't played the SC version. I'd expect it to sound a little different, with more oomph, perhaps more bass in the neck pickup.

But who knows if my expectations would be anywhere near the mark?

"Dahling, that guitar is so You."

"You think?"

"Oh yes, it's fahbulous. Where on earth did you find it?"

"Oh, at this exclusive shop in Scranton. I just happened to be checking their website, which I do, like, every day, and saw it. I said to myself, "I HAVE to have that. So of course I bought it."

"It goes, like, really well with that belt."

"Oh, dear, I know. I just had to match that belt with a guitar. Plus, it came with a case that I'm having redone in alligator with a mink interior. I'm wondering about Swarovski crystals to decorate the pickups."

"Oh my. Would that affect the way it sounds?"

"Maybe, if I were to, you know, play it."

"So spill. Is it, like, your favorite guitar now?"

"Oh honey, I don't give away my secrets. Let's just say it's the frothed cream in my latte and leave it at that. Oh, mum's the word; here comes my husband. I bet he won't even notice it."

"Wow, new guitar, huh? Looks great on you."

"Really? You don't think it makes my butt look too big?"

Geez, playing this guitar has become an all-consuming passion. I keep returning to my studio for "just one more play before my fingers fall off!"

My love hath no bounds.

Is it legal to marry a guitar?

I thought It'd be a decent time to post a little more about the Soapy 594.

In my earlier posts I mentioned how sweet this guitar feels and sounds; after a couple of weeks, that's still the word that comes to mind when I think about my reaction to it. The guitar feels like it's broken-in, it sounds like a great vintage guitar, and honestly, it feels like it's always been "my guitar."

I'm very much at home with it.

I occasionally blend the pickups on my McCarty Singlecut; however, on the McSC I tend to use either the neck or bridge pickups more by themselves. With this 594 Soapbar, I use its ability to blend the pickups a lot. It might be a habit I got into back in the day with the old SG Special, or it might just be that these pickups blend in a special way. In any case, I use the selector switch an awful lot, and it's great having it on the upper horn where I can see it and get to it right away.

The guitar sounds great with my 3 amps, but as I said in an earlier post, it's absolute magic with the DG30 Custom. The only dirt pedals I have on my board are the OCD and the Xotic BB, both of which I use a fair amount with the DG. And the guitar works quite nicely with both pedals. I don't have a preference which one; if I want to cut a bit of bottom end, I tend toward the BB. When I want full-range, I go with the OCD.

This guitar/pickup combination brings out good things in ancillary gear. Pedals and amps love the guitar.

The bottom line for me is whether a guitar can hang with the PS models I have that I am crazy about playing. The answer is that the 594 Soapy definitely can. If you're into Soapbars, and like the 594 layout, this is a winner.

Since you make a living writing, recording and playing music, it's likely you've spent a good amount of time playing this one. So after owning the guitar for a month, have your thoughts changed?

Back