NPB Coming Soon...

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
New Pedal Board For Bass

Starting a new project for the bass rig.

Pedaltrain JR With Soft Case
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply
Planet Waves Classic Series Instrument Cable with Right Angle Plug, 0.5 feet (3-pack)
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi Bass Effects Pedal
TC Electronic Guitar Tuner 966120001 Polytune 2 Guitar Pedal Tuner

It will be arriving Thursday, and I will be putting it together Saturday.
Will post up some pics of the completed project.

I have an EHX Big Muff Deluxe Pi for the Pedaltrain II board, but the pedal for bass is more geared for bass than the guitar version.
I also went with the Junior Pedaltrain verses the Pedaltrain II size I have now as I do not intend having as many pedals for the bass rig.

Last edited:
New Pedal Board For Bass

Starting a new project for the bass rig.

Cool, can't wait to see photos! I just completed my own project to create a smaller, lighter, yet fully functional pedalboard this weekend. Hope you are as happy with your end results as I am!

Thanks.
I find it relaxing and rewarding doing projects like these.

My Pedaltrain II board I had to drill into it and also take off the end caps from the Voodoo II power supply and put on new ends from Pedaltrain.
I think I read that the newer boards are setup with the holes?
Not 100% sure, but if not, it is very easy to drill.

I may throw my EHX Talking Machine on their too, that ought to sound good with the bass, kind of like an autowah.
As for the Polytuner, this will make four.
I have one on my other board, an original Polytune 1 I keep in my gig bag for when I take a guitar to work, and I keep a Polytune II on the floor for tuning up when I case the guitars when the weekend is over.
And now I will have one for the new board as well.

The newer version II is way brighter than the original one that first came out.

Glad you are happy with the way yours came out too.

Yeah buddy! I like the idea of throwing the talking machine on there, gotta get a compressor too!

Thanks, I hear compressors are good for bass, but I am not exactly sure what they do.
Know of a good one to check out on YouTube for research?

Thanks, I hear compressors are good for bass, but I am not exactly sure what they do.
Know of a good one to check out on YouTube for research?

You can use it to do lots of things, but one of the main uses is to tame the volume differences between strings and individual notes, especially if you're doing slap stuff. Does your amp have one already? A bunch of bass amps do, or at least have a limiter built in.. Check out something basic like a Boss or something more swanky like a Demeter, look at secondhand stuff that has the word "bass" on it... everything with the word "bass" on it sells for almost nothing used.

Thanks Sergio.
The little Roland Microcube Bass does indeed have a push button for compression.
The Hartke A70 has a dial called a Limiter on it, and I have messed around a bit with it, but it works more like a noise gate kind of.
Number 8 on this link.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/143821/Samson-A100.html?page=9

I guess it does say as you move the knob clockwise it becomes compressed, so maybe it is one?

Placed another order this morning for this:
Line 6 Relay G50 Wireless Guitar System: Wired Tone, Wireless Freedom
I have one on my Pedaltrain II, and I got to thinking why not add one to the bass as well as I have been using the other pedalboard with the Hartke amp to be wireless.
Once you experience a good wireless unit it is hard to go back to having a cable dangling on the floor.

When I placed my order this morning that wireless was $399.99, and it is shipping now from their site, and the price dropped to $337.03.
You get your sweet bippy I called them up and they are refunding me the difference.

Also if you get one of these, order this cable which I did also, it is better quality from the guitar to the transmitter.
I have one on my other G50 setup.
Shure WA304 2-Feet Instrument Cable, 4-Pin Mini Connector (TA4F) with Right-Angle 1/4-Inch Connector

All the stuff arrived Thursday and Friday, and after work yesterday I dug into it and had it finished by around 7 PM.
The hardest part is having to put new brackets on the Voodoo power supply and drill into the board to mount it underneath.
The rest is pretty easy, just takes time.
I really like the Pedaltrain brand of boards.

Total price came in at around $877.84, and here is the parts break down:
Pedaltrain JR With Soft Case

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Planet Waves Classic Series Instrument Cable with Right Angle Plug, 0.5 feet (3-pack)

Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi Bass Effects Pedal

TC Electronic Guitar Tuner 966120001 Polytune 2 Guitar Pedal Tuner

Line 6 Relay G50 Wireless Guitar System: Wired Tone, Wireless Freedom

Shure WA304 2-Feet Instrument Cable, 4-Pin Mini Connector (TA4F) with Right-Angle 1/4-Inch Connector

I have never added up the price on my guitar pedal board, would hate to think how much I have into it.
I also now have four of these TC Electronics Polytune tuners.
One for each board, one I keep on the ground to tune the guitars when putting them away, and one in a gig bag for when I take a guitar to work to play before work.
Very high quality tuner pedal.

Here are some pictures.

Unboxed, ready to go

1.jpg

Pedal board with the Voodoo power supply mounted underneath

2.jpg

Showing the brackets that mounts the Voodoo to the board
You take out two screws on each end of the Voodoo and install two new brackets that Pedaltrain supplies, screw them back in, then you drill four holes into the pedal board.

3.jpg

Velcro strips applied to the top of the board

4.jpg

Other part of the Velcro applied to the bottoms of the pedals

5.jpg

Pedals mounted, patch cables hooked up, and the power cables from the Voodoo to each pedal for power

6.jpg

All lit up like a Christmas tree
The small unit at the bottom left is the transmitter for the wireless, and it clips to the guitar strap.
I am going to get a few custom patch cables made up like I have for my other board that my guitar shop made up for me a few years back that are longer.
This way I can move the Talking Machine directly above the Big Muff and have more room on the board for future pedals.

7.jpg

Side by side comparison showing my two boards

8.jpg

Hmmm, what be those fancy red and green lights flying around
Picked up a portable laser awhile back for effects, groovy man :D

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guy's.
I spent close to an hour messing around with it earlier running both the Talking Machine solo, then added in the Big Muff.
What a difference in sound both pedals can add to the bass.

I am thinking already of a delay pedal.
One of the first pedals I bought when I got back into guitars was the Wampler Faux Delay one, but I later gave that to my youngest son.
I have the huge TC Electronic 4X delay, but if I get another delay, it has to be a small one.
Maybe another Wampler, or the smaller TC one, not sure which one sounds the best, will have to listen to some YouTube vids.

If I get around to it, I may make a short video with the bass playing through the two pedals I have now.

Thanks!

Just made a video showing the new board and trying out the two pedals.
I should have turned up the volume more on the Big Muff though, it was a little low, and the Talking Machine pedal was not letting the fuzz come out as much as I would have liked.

The riff I was playing kind of came to me yesterday when I was messing around with the pedals.

Signal Chain:
2014 PRS SE Kingfisher bass guitar
Neck pickup only, tone turned up full
Line 6G60 Wireless
TC Electronic Polytune II
EHX Big Muff Deluxe Pi
EHX Talking Machine
Hartke A70 bass amp

I ended up buying the TC Flashback which should be in my mailbox when I get home, and I ordered a Moog expression pedal which will be here Thursday.
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay and Looper Guitar Delay Effect Pedal

Moog ACCEP003 EP3 Expression Pedal

The expression pedal is for the Talking Machine, and I have learned a few things I did not know about that pedal as I have hardly used it.
It has built in fuzz you have to activate by playing with a few controls, will mess around with that over the weekend coming up.

There is a ton of other vids on this pedal if you search YouTube for:
EHX Talking Machine
The guy in this video does not do a lot of playing, mostly talking about its features.

Hooked up the Moog pedal today, and what a difference with the Talking Machine.
More like a wa wa with the way you can control the sounds of each position, very cool.
The new delay pedal is very nice too, and for a compact version of its bigger brother the X4, it is just as packed with features, and the loop section is very easy to use.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Les.I only have the clip I made last week two videos above that I made with my camera.
I wanted to use my Zoom R24 today and record drums and the bass, then add in my 408, but I forgot how to use it.
I need to read the manual again on setting up a recording along with drums.
I can do the guitars separately, but I want drums too.
Maybe next weekend when I have more time, as the Seahawks Broncos game starts soon.

Have not used the Zoom in awhile, so I am rusty with it.
I am really digging the Kingfisher, lots of fun.

Back