Not a PRS amp, but a fun little amp.

C_corie

It does feature my 2014 PRS CU24!

It’s the mini Friedman into a Vox cab I stuck a British greenback in. It actually sounds pretty decent for what it is, I might keep it for a while. Into my Mesa 4x12 is wasn’t nearly as good- no idea why.

It does feature my 2014 PRS CU24!

It’s the mini Friedman into a Vox cab I stuck a British greenback in. It actually sounds pretty decent for what it is, I might keep it for a while. Into my Mesa 4x12 is wasn’t nearly as good- no idea why.

Sounds great in that tuning.
Drop D or D Standard?

I like it, I just wish it had a little more punch- it’s not totally a volume thing. It could even be the cabinet but it just doesn’t much push and to get some push you need to be close to half volume.
Claas D?

I like it, I just wish it had a little more punch- it’s not totally a volume thing. It could even be the cabinet but it just doesn’t much push and to get some push you need to be close to half volume.

'Punch' is all a matter of dynamic range. The lower the wattage, the less dynamic range is possible. To add to the issue (such as it is) with low-wattage amps, the smaller transformers and output sections generally don't have the damping factor to control the speaker as well, or the power to push it over the top.

However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of world-renowned engineers and producers use low-output amps all the time for recording. Flood (U2, Stones, many others) uses a low power British amp from Audio Kitchen for lots of recording chores. Chandler also makes a low power amp that's very popular in the big-time producer world.

Horses for courses.

I feel that for the kind of work I do, 30 Watts is getting pretty close to the low end of power I want, but I'm not opposed to trying out more stuff.

'Punch' is all a matter of dynamic range. The lower the wattage, the less dynamic range is possible. To add to the issue (such as it is) with low-wattage amps, the smaller transformers and output sections generally don't have the damping factor to control the speaker as well, or the power to push it over the top.

However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of world-renowned engineers and producers use low-output amps all the time for recording. Flood (U2, Stones, many others) uses a low power British amp from Audio Kitchen for lots of recording chores. Chandler also makes a low power amp that's very popular in the big-time producer world.

Horses for courses.

I feel that for the kind of work I do, 30 Watts is getting pretty close to the low end of power I want, but I'm not opposed to trying out more stuff.

I think because I’m used to my Vox AC4HW with an Alnico Blue- which even when cranked up is pretty loud but still dynamic.

I wish they made a 50-100 version, makes me want a Orange Crush 100w since it’s not class D.

Back