No mod guitars

Only mod on my '95 CU22 is a first run truss rod cover in BRW, made by the yeti. Dragon 1's will NEVER be taken out!

My '12 P22 has a TRC from right here. I think I got the last 2 that were available. No other mods needed.

I have a prs with dragon 1s. They rock

I bought this ce off of ebay because it was cheap AND I had read how much people loved dragon 1s. It sounded great from day one

The trem was not level, it was high on the bass side and it bugged me every time I looked at it.

I finally leveled the trem and it changed the tone quite a bit. I had to lower the pickup to get that tone back. I was shocked at how much small pickup height adjustments will change tone on a prs guitar.

This guitar also has a finish crack at the neck pocket which pissed me off because it wasn't disclosed by the seller and my first thought was it was junk. It hasn't gotten any worse and guitar is very stable even with heavy trem use.

Crack has to be finish only. I ditched the wings for phase 2s.

Last edited:
With that said, I have been contemplating, for about the past year, changing out the VB / HFS pickups on my CU24 for a more modern sounding PRS pick up. Not sure I will ever pull the trigger and do it ;).

That's the only mod I think I've done to a core model - VB/HFS out of my CU24, reissue T&Bs in.

The last guitar I modded was a 1965 SG Special. I had the Gibson trem removed, and a Tune-o-matic installed. The original post holes were simply filled with dowels and sanded kinda-sorta flush with the top.

It was 1970. Fun times.

Ruined the value of the guitar, so what. Who knew they'd ever be worth more than the $250 my dad paid for it?

Other than swapping pickups in the 90s, I've kept 'em stock.

I just picked up some reissue T and Bs. How would you describe them in your cu24?

They give the guitar that classic PRS sound that first grabbed my ears. The 2 and 4 positions have a little more spank and snap to them than the VB/HFS combo did. Maybe a tad smoother overall, as well.

13712750_1745237095751217_292731488_n.jpg

The only "real mods", which are fairly significant, are 2009 first generation PTC installed 57/08s. I bought a second DGT in '09 and got the coupon for a free set of PTC installed pickups. So, for the past eight years, with a one or two year exception, this guitar has been a DGT with non-engraved 57/08s as the tone generators. Briefly in '12 or so, I had the PTC drop in a DGT in the bridge position. It's back to all 57/08s - literally, some of the best pickups on the planet.

Other mods are sticker/decal related. Oh yeah...don't forget the coffee stained tip - the trem tip. Now matches the rest of the software....

Last edited:
My PS and newly acquired NF3 are the only non mod guitars I own. The NF could change at some point with a new pickguard, but I really like it as is. Only time will tell.

All three of my PRS have Schaller strap locks, if you consider that a mod. Only other thing I'll probably do some day is add a push-pull pot to my CU24 (and my P22 if it will fit) to be able to get the neck pickup alone in single coil mode.

Back