NGD X3

dkilpatrick

Makes guitar faces
It’s been a busy month for guitars around here.
It starts with Brian’s Limited run of SE Holcomb’s. Always wanted to try one, but never really cared for the Holcomb burst finish that it comes in. So when I saw this limited run, I grabbed a trampas green with a really wide flame pattern.
en43Y5B.jpg

tg5RJ30.jpg

tLjgLCN.jpg

Really fun guitar to get some heavy riffage going. The pickups are really aggressive in a good way. My only complaint was the plastic nut and non-locking tuners.

I went to see John Mann at the guitar vault and he hooked it up.
DNjLO7J.jpg

He modified the tuners to a locking set, and fitted a custom bone nut.

Next, thanks to the great enabler Bodia,
Who dropped a hint that he might be moving his Silver Sky.
We worked a deal and this showed up.
NVYf6rX.jpg

Hands down, the best S style guitar I’ve played. Ever.
Great sounds in every position. Addicting to play, and hard to put down.

I have to give a shout out to Shawn and the PTC. There was a problem with the wiring that was causing a pickup to cut out in one of the positions. They fixed it right up and got it back into my hands quick.
PRS customer service rocks!

A buddy of mine has 60’s era reissue Fender strat that we compared with the Silver Sky. They felt very different to play, but they sounded VERY similar. PRS really nailed what they were going for with this one.
Now he wants one too.

Last, but definitely not least,
While I was at the vault, I decided to give some of the new SE acoustics a strum.
Damn, these are some fine instruments that punch way above their price range.
After much A/B comparisons with all six of the new models. I traded in my A30E for an A50E. What I like, the body and the neck are slightly slimmer which makes it, for me, more comfortable to play and didn’t sacrifice any of the sound.

gz1yB1I.jpg

Tmuh4Yr.jpg

zTLWGu8.jpg

n2FsrzF.jpg

The top has some interesting figuring that is hard to capture in photos that really pop at certain angles.
1IJhLYj.jpg

I’d recommend anyone looking for an acoustic to give the new SE range a consideration.

Damn dude! Good run! I dig the Holcomb Ltd run that Brian did. Very cool!

Glad we could work something out on the SS, too. Totally agree with what you said about it. Sadly, I love a lot of guys that play "S" types, but not how I play "S" types. Enjoy it!

Wow, now that’s a great triple play, congrats! That curly maple veneer on your Holcom is terrific, but your new A50e looks even better! I thought the original SE acoustics were just as good as most Taylor’s at a far lower price point (I had several Taylor’s over 20 years, so not throwing shade on them at all).

Haven’t tried a SS, but I’m not much of a Strat or single coil guy.

Last edited:
Congrats on your acquisitions!!!

I really LOVE my A50E and totally agree that these things punch way above their price range. Their tone and play-ability are better than many guitars I've played that cost more than twice the price...not to mention the visual aesthetics are top-notch.

Congrats on all three, they all look great!!!

Damn dude! Good run! I dig the Holcomb Ltd run that Brian did. Very cool!

Glad we could work something out on the SS, too. Totally agree with what you said about it. Sadly, I love a lot of guys that play "S" types, but not how I play "S" types. Enjoy it!
I’m glad too!
If PRS makes more colors available I might even get a second one

What a trifecta month, they all look stunning, the top on the Holocomb reminds of Jupiter surface.
The birds and purfling on the Angelus are they true abalone?
CongratsX3

Back