NGD: S2 Custom Semi-hollowbody

IceTre

I bought a used S2 Custom Semi-hollowbody on Reverb. Listed as used but I couldn't find a scratch on it. I had an SE semi-hollowbody, which I liked the sound of, but the wide-thin neck wasn't for me. I wanted a little thicker neck, and the pattern regular neck of the S2 is more comfortable for my hand and playing style. (I've never liked thin necks.) The S2 sounds similar to the SE, but maybe not quite as bright, which is good.

The only think I don't like about the S2 is that the volume and tone controls are terrible. As soon as you drop the volume from max, the treble falls off drastically. On the tone control, nothing happens when you roll it down until you get halfway down, then the treble falls drastically, and way too much. So both controls are worthless. This matches the experience I had when I tried another S2 Custom. By contrast, the SE volume and tone controls are very usable.

Here's a couple of photos. I really like the darker sunburst of the S2, it's quite beautiful.

S2_front-all-2.JPG

S2_body_front-1.JPG

I have an S2 single cut semi-hollow and have similar experience. My SE Tremonti does not suffer as much treble loss either. Would probably be an easy fix with either a treble bleed or different pots. I rarely turn my volume down though. Will see what the experts say

Nice looking guitar!! I love my S2 Custom 22 - mine did have the pickups replaced by a previous owner, with Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers. I don't *think* they replaced the pots, but mine work well with volume roll down (I never touch the tone knob) - so wondering how much is the stock pickups.

I wrote PRS customer support about the pots, and they said I could ship it to them to check out. But I don't want to pay a bunch of money in shipping there and back if they're just going to tell me that the pots are working normally. I'd rather just replace the pots with better ones, and install a treble bleed circuit. Or pay a tech to do it.

Just pick up a core volume and tone pot. They come with the treblebleed and cap for under $20. Five more bucks for a push/pull but no cap or resistors.. You could reuse your cap and resistors or pick them up. Either way not much money or hard to do a swap.

SinSir, thanks for the links.

I had written PRS technical support. I sent a sound sample showing what I considered to be the problem with the tone pot-- I couldn't hear any difference until it got down to 3 or 4. Ryan Emmert of PRS said he thought it sounded in spec for an S2, but offered to send me a replacement push-pull tone pot. I told him I'd take him up on the offer. So I'll install that when it arrives and see how it sounds. (I decided that the volume pot is ok; there wasn't really a loss of highs with it.) Kudos to PRS customer support!

Meanwhile I've been playing the guitar and loving it! The action was high when it arrived, so I lowered it to where I like it. The intonation was fine. I also adjusted the pickup heights. It sounds great and is very comfortable to play. Great clean sounds, great dirty sounds. I've mainly been playing it through my 1996 Vox AC15 (for clean) and my Orange OR15 (for dirty).

Back