NGD!! McCarty Singlecut PS #4389

Can we finally have Windy City Tone Fest with STL represented?

SICK guitar btw. :p

still cant believe you dont have an Archon yet though...

Dave, the Archon is still on the wish list. But I ordered an Original Sewell (found a NOS one on Ebay) Friday night, and a Freidman SS100 (Alan's favorite amp) last night.

That should keep me busy for a while!!

Congrats Pete. So what does your current lineup look like these days?

This new acquisition, the Jade Glow DC 245 shown here, the Aquamarine Obeche DC 245 Signature (my primary gigging guitar), and a PS Acoustic.

Plus the DC 245 Trem recently put in the oven, that someone already called dibs on. ;)

A modest collection! I already have GAS to go back to the WL and create another one! Oh well, it was good to be GAS free for about a year...

Hope to get a chance to try it someday ;)

No doubt you will! Alan will not be able to resist getting one, so maybe you will have two to check out!

I propose a beer to celebrate your new acquisition on my next trip to Chicago. We can grab Sergio.

Sounds like a plan!

I approve of this and my dibs have been noted. :beer:

Okay, dibs noted. But I bet you won't last a week after playing this one through my incoming SS100, before you need to get one of your own!! ;)

Can we finally have Windy City Tone Fest with STL represented?

Yes, we are about a year overdue to do that!

Thanks all, for the kind comments. And it's good to be back in action here, after my brief hiatus from guitar and gear obsession! :D

All GAS dead on arrival- nope never happens remember where you posted this. We are all a little gassy 100 percent of the time. We have no morals and the next ten top that sashays into our guitar store will be just as appealing as the last one. PRS - please help there is no cure.

Dave in Edmonton

So BrianC and Mike/rider1260 came over this afternoon for an impromptu visit to check out the Singlecut McCarty PS. It is always great to get together to check out new gear, good to have other guitar players play and comment on what they think. Also great to have someone else play my instrument so I can just focus on listening to the tones, versus what you are playing AND trying to listen to the tone at the same time.

So from that here are my thoughts. This guitar is the REAL DEAL! For my ears and preferences, this guitar has the best tone of any PRS I have owned. (And that is 70+ PRSi!)

First and foremost, it has the best neck lead tone of any PRS I have owned, with regards to that smooth buttery LP type of neck tone. It sounds amazing with the tone up, and off the charts with the tone rolled off. To die for.

With the bridge pickup, it has a really "wide" tone, meaning a great balance across a broad spectrum of lows, mids, highs, with nothing dominating. Just full and "big".

Sustain is crazy, and overdriven as you sustain it does that thing I love so much where the harmonics and octaves just swirl around, pure magic. Swirls into feedback eventually in a controlled and pleasant fashion, depending on volume and gain.

The 5708s are amazing. I prefer the 5909s usually over the 5708s, but these 5708s in this guitar, I wouldn't change a thing. Great clean, very chimey and sparkly like 5708s always are, but with all this wood of this thicker SC body, it has all the balls in the world you would ever want, which in DC 245s is why I think I prefer the 5909s over the 5708s. In this guitar, the 5708s give you the best of all worlds. Amazing touch sensitivity. Mike was playing some cool stuff where he was playing arpeggios on open chords, very clean and chimey, and quiet with soft picking, and then he strummed harder full chords and it broke up big time and got a lot louder.

There is something "different" in the Electronics on this guitar versus the previous SCs I have owned. The volume and tone controls just seem to do a better job of cleaning things up, when the volume goes down, tone is still good. When the tone control goes down, it still sounds good, just less treble. I think the electronics is a big part of what is different about this guitar. (Come on Paul, what's the secret?!?)

Brian commented that for gain tones it had that LP "Snarl" like Slash GNR tones. I agree, in a great way. A real "Rock" machine!

We played through the JVM 410, the JVM 1, and Brian's modded Dark Terror (which is a cool little amp!). I have a Friedman SS100 coming this week, I am REALLY interested in how this killer guitar will sound through that awesome amp!!

My Jade Glow DC 245 held the prize for me as the king of LP-style tone in my collection, but it just got de-throned! ;)

We played my DC 245 408 Sig PS, which also impressed. That guitar is amazing, 6 pounds light with the Obeche Body, but still very HUGE in tone. (Can't touch the SC's Neck tone, though!) Those 408's are very flexible, that guitar will remain my #1 gigging guitar.

At home, I bet this Singlecut McCarty will be the most frequently played going forward.

Mike brought his Knaggs guitar, that played and sounded great! Beautiful guitar as well.

Anyway, thanks Brian and Mike for coming over, a good time, and really validated for me how special this new acquisition is!!

You got one of those Pete? Cool. Well done!

When you're ready for a REAL tone party, bring that bad boy down to Louisville and we'll see how it fares through my old Marshall. Which you're familiar with, IIRC. ;)

Only a little over 5 hours south on I-65. Depending, of course, on how long it takes you to get to the south part of Chicagoland...

...and I'll make sure to have plenty of bourbon on hand!

Last edited:
You got one of those Pete? Cool. Well done!

When you're ready for a REAL tone party, bring that bad boy down to Louisville and we'll see how it fares through my old Marshall. Which you're familiar with, IIRC. ;)

Only a little over 5 hours south on I-65. Depending, of course, on how long it takes you to get to the south part of Chicagoland...

...and I'll make sure to have plenty of bourbon on hand!

Yes, just got one in yesterday, couldn't resist after reading Les's thread.

Wow, it blows my mind to think of how great this thing would sound through your old Marshall!! ;)

Thanks for the offer, I just might take you up on that someday! BTW I am South and West of Chicago, so it wouldn't be too bad.

This guitar is the REAL DEAL! For my ears and preferences, this guitar has the best tone of any PRS I have owned. (And that is 70+ PRSi!)

I've had fewer than you, but still quite a number over the past 23 years, and this is also my favorite for the same reasons you mention!

There is something "different" in the Electronics on this guitar versus the previous SCs I have owned. The volume and tone controls just seem to do a better job of cleaning things up, when the volume goes down, tone is still good. When the tone control goes down, it still sounds good, just less treble. I think the electronics is a big part of what is different about this guitar. (Come on Paul, what's the secret?!?)

The pickups are specially wound for this model. They're not off-the-shelf 57/08s. Just how they're wound, and the materials used, etc., I have no idea, but they are very special and cool!

In fact, after much experimentation, and to get every last ounce of juice out of The Hammer Of The Gods, I upgraded the buffer on my pedalboard. I posted about it in the amp section of the forum, but in any case, with the vintage wiring of my guitar, at least, it really seems to preserve the signal integrity down to the last little detail. So it's something that might be worth messing with.

I always like to plug directly into an amp, but sometimes I just gotta use a pedalboard! ;)

THANKS Pete / Brian
It was great to try out all those great guitars :) and amps

Yes, just got one in yesterday, couldn't resist after reading Les's thread.

Wow, it blows my mind to think of how great this thing would sound through your old Marshall!! ;)

Thanks for the offer, I just might take you up on that someday! BTW I am South and West of Chicago, so it wouldn't be too bad.

Ready whenever you are...

Gibson%20Marshall%20dream.jpg

Back