Will the real McCarty please stand up| Ted McCarty DC245 Willcutt Limited run Review

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
So folks, some of you spotted this guitar on the sofa in a previous post.
There isn't too much about this guitar on Youtube, which is a shame because it is an incredible guitar.
It literally out R9s a R9 while just weighing 7 pounds something and having double cut ergonomics.
The sound is sweeter than the 594 honestly, which is much more of a brighter guitar.

Here is my full video with lots of sounds and visuals.

I have a single cut version of this guitar that also came from Willcutt Guitars. I bought mine new back when they came out. I can honestly say that my Ted McCarty is a very special guitar. I know, we all think that right? I have had this confirmed by several players that I have let play it. This is one of those guitars that just went together right. It has tone qualities to it that I am not sure any of my other guitars have. It has won every shootout that I have done with it. I have always wondered if there is a double cut version out there that has the same qualities as my single cut. I would probably buy one if the right one came up for the right price...

...it is an incredible guitar.
It literally out R9s a R9 while just weighing 7 pounds something and having double cut ergonomics.
The sound is sweeter than the 594 honestly...
I have one identical to yours--and if I pause it on the headstock shot in the video, I believe our serial #'s are fairly close.

And yes, it sounds amazing and would probably out-R9 an R9 in a head-to-head matchup. Those covered 59/09 pickups are insane. (And the guitar weighs barely over 7 lbs., too!) Seriously, though--any PRS I've played from this 2010~2011 has been on another level from anything else.

I have a single cut version of this guitar that also came from Willcutt Guitars. I bought mine new back when they came out. I can honestly say that my Ted McCarty is a very special guitar. I know, we all think that right? I have had this confirmed by several players that I have let play it. This is one of those guitars that just went together right. It has tone qualities to it that I am not sure any of my other guitars have. It has won every shootout that I have done with it. I have always wondered if there is a double cut version out there that has the same qualities as my single cut. I would probably buy one if the right one came up for the right price...
Actually the guitar is incredibly special. I was thinking it was just me but reading all your perspectives is confirming it. I think I am seriously rethinking selling it now even if it is not a singlecut tremolo

I have one identical to yours--and if I pause it on the headstock shot in the video, I believe our serial #'s are fairly close.

And yes, it sounds amazing and would probably out-R9 an R9 in a head-to-head matchup. Those covered 59/09 pickups are insane. (And the guitar weighs barely over 7 lbs., too!) Seriously, though--any PRS I've played from this 2010~2011 has been on another level from anything else.
I think you may have something on the years. My Private Stock Signature Limited from 2011 has some very similar characteristics. Super light weight, resonant and with a sweeter tone than honey itself. Maybe PRS just got some incredible batches of wood that year

I see you decided to sell the guitar. Too bad you weren't in the states and willing to deal on it a bit. Your video made me get my Ted out and hang it on the wall. I am going to play it for a bit. It has been a while since I had that one out.
Reading all these comments is making me seriously rethinking selling it lol.

Wow - fantastic video, Utkarsh!! I really enjoyed that, it brought me back to my incredible Ted McCarty DC/SC 245 adventure that lasted from the PRS Experience in 2009 as the original Ted McCarty Limited Run was announced, through 2016 when the 594 was launched.

Well researched, especially considering you just discovered the model recently. Great tone demos as well!

Your video highlights something interesting for me, having owned many Ted McCarty guitars and 594's, both DC and SC.

Here is the count of my Ted McCarty and 245 Guitars, as I posted in my "2024 Return" Thread:

I did find an old spreadsheet that specifically tracked the Teds. It looks like I owned 29 Ted 245's in total, 18 DCs and 11 SCs. 5 from the original 2009 Run from PRS, 5 from the first Willcutt's WL run, 7 from the second Willcutt's second WL run, and 1 from Willcutt's third WL run (I had forgotten that there were three Willcutt Wood Library Runs!), 11 of them Private Stocks - 4 PS's that were a dealer spec (two of those traded to Howard Leese) and a whopping 7 PS's I spec'ed myself. Wow!

Those stats are just Ted's, I also owned 5 more 245's, 2 pre-Ted SC 245's (2008 Experience and Sunburst 245) and 3 SC 58's. So 34 total 245's. Possibly more, if I am missing any...

(Only 1 was a trem, it was amazing. I traded it to Howard Leese, he gigged that regularly for a couple of years from what I saw.)

(Also - I missed one 245 in my count above - and it happens to be in your collection now, coincidentally! LOL... I also forgot to count the 3 Private Stock McCarty Singlecuts from 2014, so I guess 38 total 245's. :))

So what I find interesting is that with the Ted McCarty's I found that I preferred the tone of the Doublecuts over the Singlecuts. The best Doublecuts to me sounded better than any of the Singlecuts. I liked the Singlecuts too, because they had that classic Singlecut look and vibe, but I preferred the Doublecuts, both for tone and for ergonomics for a gig. Of the 11 Private Stocks, I believe 9 were DC and two were SC.

Then when the 594's came out in Feb of 2016, I was smitten with those, and bought many of them. Then the SC 594 came out, I snagged two of the Prototypes built by the Private Stock team, and acquired many of the original Core ones, and then started building Private Stocks. Then I went though another SC and DC Ted phase in 2020 when PRS switched the Core line to the Nitro over CAB finish, and had a good mix of SC and DC 594s. At the end of the day, I always preferred the feel and tone of the SC 594 over the DC 594. My band experience ended in 2015, so I never played out with a 594, but I would have likely taken a DC 594 playing out, for the ergonomic advantage of a DC. But still, I clearly greatly preferred the DC over the SC in the 245's, and I clearly preferred the SC over the DC in the 594's. And for the life of me I have no idea whatsoever why that is! I don't even have a theory. I will have to think about that one.

Thanks for the great video and the trip down memory lane! :)

I think I really do need to recreate my old Chronicle Thread from VR here. I think it would help me understand things better if I had to write it all down now in sequence.

out on the 'Verb .. . and the flame headstock is tastier than the solid black IMO
p5a2k8pfrek2c7txhpej.jpg

I put a new set of strings on my single cut Ted yesterday. He will get to stay out in the light for a while and get played. :)

He is sharing a guitar stand with my McCarty 594 double cut.

Well I've not seen all your videos (don't know that I have that kind of time), but of the dozen or so I have seen, this one is the best (except no wife to give it all approval)! Great job all the way around!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and collection!!!

Last edited:
Wow - fantastic video, Utkarsh!! I really enjoyed that, it brought me back to my incredible Ted McCarty DC/SC 245 adventure that lasted from the PRS Experience in 2009 as the original Ted McCarty Limited Run was announced, through 2016 when the 594 was launched.

Well researched, especially considering you just discovered the model recently. Great tone demos as well!

Your video highlights something interesting for me, having owned many Ted McCarty guitars and 594's, both DC and SC.

Here is the count of my Ted McCarty and 245 Guitars, as I posted in my "2024 Return" Thread:

I did find an old spreadsheet that specifically tracked the Teds. It looks like I owned 29 Ted 245's in total, 18 DCs and 11 SCs. 5 from the original 2009 Run from PRS, 5 from the first Willcutt's WL run, 7 from the second Willcutt's second WL run, and 1 from Willcutt's third WL run (I had forgotten that there were three Willcutt Wood Library Runs!), 11 of them Private Stocks - 4 PS's that were a dealer spec (two of those traded to Howard Leese) and a whopping 7 PS's I spec'ed myself. Wow!

Those stats are just Ted's, I also owned 5 more 245's, 2 pre-Ted SC 245's (2008 Experience and Sunburst 245) and 3 SC 58's. So 34 total 245's. Possibly more, if I am missing any...

(Only 1 was a trem, it was amazing. I traded it to Howard Leese, he gigged that regularly for a couple of years from what I saw.)

(Also - I missed one 245 in my count above - and it happens to be in your collection now, coincidentally! LOL... I also forgot to count the 3 Private Stock McCarty Singlecuts from 2014, so I guess 38 total 245's. :))

So what I find interesting is that with the Ted McCarty's I found that I preferred the tone of the Doublecuts over the Singlecuts. The best Doublecuts to me sounded better than any of the Singlecuts. I liked the Singlecuts too, because they had that classic Singlecut look and vibe, but I preferred the Doublecuts, both for tone and for ergonomics for a gig. Of the 11 Private Stocks, I believe 9 were DC and two were SC.

Then when the 594's came out in Feb of 2016, I was smitten with those, and bought many of them. Then the SC 594 came out, I snagged two of the Prototypes built by the Private Stock team, and acquired many of the original Core ones, and then started building Private Stocks. Then I went though another SC and DC Ted phase in 2020 when PRS switched the Core line to the Nitro over CAB finish, and had a good mix of SC and DC 594s. At the end of the day, I always preferred the feel and tone of the SC 594 over the DC 594. My band experience ended in 2015, so I never played out with a 594, but I would have likely taken a DC 594 playing out, for the ergonomic advantage of a DC. But still, I clearly greatly preferred the DC over the SC in the 245's, and I clearly preferred the SC over the DC in the 594's. And for the life of me I have no idea whatsoever why that is! I don't even have a theory. I will have to think about that one.

Thanks for the great video and the trip down memory lane! :)

I think I really do need to recreate my old Chronicle Thread from VR here. I think it would help me understand things better if I had to write it all down now in sequence.
Looking at your record, I think you will forget more about Ted mccarty’s than I can ever learn. I would love a resurrection of your thread. And looking at some of your recent acquisitions, maybe it’s time for a new thread as well, with a slightly different flavour
I’m really liking the Ted singlecut more than I expected . But I can’t figure out what else I will sell if I keep it

I think you may have something on the years. My Private Stock Signature Limited from 2011 has some very similar characteristics. Super light weight, resonant and with a sweeter tone than honey itself. Maybe PRS just got some incredible batches of wood that year
My 2011 Stripped 58 Singlecut in my Avatar is in a different league than any high end Gibson I’ve ever owned.. and it’s 7.5 lbs..
Stock 57/08’s and the neck (jumbo frets, no binding) feels just perfect. It’s in between a pattern and pattern vintage size

Well I've not seen all your videos (don't know that I have that kind of time), but of the dozen or so I have seen, this one is the best (except no wife to give it all approval)! Great job all the way around!! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and collection!!!
Appreciate that. I put in a bit more time to do a proper track and a multi camera setup. Think I will do more of these but the flip side is each video will take longer

My 2011 Stripped 58 Singlecut in my Avatar is in a different league than any high end Gibson I’ve ever owned.. and it’s 7.5 lbs..
Stock 57/08’s and the neck (jumbo frets, no binding) feels just perfect. It’s in between a pattern and pattern vintage size
Aw man, you went there... Now I may have to get the SC-58 single cut out to play along with the Ted and the 594... That means I have to put one of these that I have out back in the case...

FYI, here is the Ted Thread I started here way back when this Forum started:

Ted Thread

This was started part way through my Ted adventure, and lots of contributions from others. There was a much more extensive Ted Thread on Vintage Rocker, it was 111 pages and 1105 posts! (I have a copy of all 111 pages for my records.)

Back