NGD: CE24 With Pics & Review

Drew

As you know, I picked up a CE24 from the guys at Total Entertainment in Daytona Beach FL. I traded in my MC58 as it was a guitar I felt had limitations when it came to certain styles of music I enjoy playing. That guitar was awesome. It just wasn't for me in the end. I'm going to give you an honest mature review of the CE. There is the good, but there is ugly as well and I'm going to give you in depth explanations of all.

Construction & Quality of materials: The body is a carved flamed maple top on 1 piece quartersawn mahogany back. The mahogany back is clear finished and is one of the best looking pieces of non figured mahogany I have ever seen. The trampas green stained flame maple top has a pleasant even broad figuring. PRS has upped their game on the maple grade for these bodies as compared to the previous generation of CE's. This cannot be understated as maple stops from the prior generation of CE's stunk. The total body thickness is 1 5/8". 1 3/16" for the back and 7/16" for the top. The top retains a typical PRS double cut carve but is shallower and the perimeter lip is almost non-existent. The body binding is natural and very clean per usual PRS quality. The neck is 3 piece flat sawn maple in pattern thin carve. This is a departure from the 1 piece quartersawn maple necks of the prior generation. The fretboard is a high grade Indian rosewood with plastic birds. Phase 2 locking tuners. 85/15 pickups with core electronics and McCarty switching. SE tremolo. The tremolo is where I have to knock the grade of this guitar down a bit. It literally sticks out like a sore thumb. You have a guitar loaded with high quality components and then there is this thing which has unplated rough cast zinc saddles and a very dainty and petite tremolo bar. For any person that uses the tremolo regularly, the bar alone makes the unit near useless. I have trouble gripping it with a dry hand in a controlled environment. Nevermind a sweaty hand outside. As a performance tool, the SE tremolo unit does not belong on this guitar. This is especially evident when Music Man guitars in this price range come with a precision machined Schaller made tremolo unit with all high quality plated parts. Some with a brass block too. Fender Elites come with a high quality unit as well. Shame on PRS for this.

Fit and Finish: Typical PRS quality in every regard. Unlike the S2 series, the CE gets a typical super tough PRS dipped in glass finish. The natural body binding is well defined with no rough edges. Frets are perfectly finished. Even though the neck is a 3 piece, PRS does a great job not making this obvious, especially at the scarf joint. I had to really look for it. Typical core quality fit and finish all the way around.

Sound: I do like the 85/15 pickups. They are balanced, have some bite, are defined in the low end, and sing in the high end. The bridge pickup reminds me of a more subdued Duncan Custom 5.. It appears PRS learned from the shortcomings of the 57/08's and 59/09 to deliver pickups that are not overly bassy like a 57/08 and not raspy like the 59/09's could get. They handle gain fairly well, unlike prior generations of the vintage voiced pickups. If I have a complaint, its the bridge pickup could be a bit hotter. That is my personal taste though. I really like my bridge pickup to push the amp. I have no complaints about the neck pickup. It's perfect.

Factory Setup: I have to rant a bit on this. The setup was not good. I suspect the nut is binding, which you never ever see on a factory fresh PRS guitar. The birth date of the guitar is roughly 2 weeks before I purchased so it's not the fault of the store. If you pull the tremolo sharp a half tone, it will not return to equilibrium without help. It will return a 1/4 tone sharp. So, that tends to scream nut slots to me. The tremolo saddle heights were not correct with the bass side being overly high. The lower frets buzz which requires a truss adjustment I have yet to make. The truss adjustment is normal but I've never had to adjust one out of the factory, even on PRS guitars shipped across country. I can let this go, but I cannot let inability to hold tune go. Whether it's the nut, the tremolo, or both, PRS should not let a guitar go out of the factory that cannot retain tuning.

Accessories: Gig bag. This is mildly disappointing. You get a hard case with most of the guitars in this price range. You get a case with a $1300 Fender. PRS couldn't come up with a cheap molded plastic case for these? It's not a $800 Schecter. Case, please.

Overall: Judging the stock instrument and the way I received it, I have to give the new CE a B- for a grade. Once I get the setup issues figured out and install a proper tremolo unit, the guitar will no doubt register a grade of A with me and I'll have it forever. PRS just cut 1 too many corners to achieve the targeted price point, in my opinion. It's a shame because the CE could have been an absolute home run. If I may make a suggestion to PRS, release another tier of CE or give it an artist pack option. This way people can pay to get a CE with a full thickness top, a 1 piece neck, and a proper PRS tremolo.

0506161615.jpg

0506161615c.jpg

0506161616a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Drew, very well detailed review of your new guitar.
Hopefully PRS takes some of your suggestions to upgrade in the future.
I know if they come out with a CE22 later, I too would like a USA made bridge.

I wonder how those black 85/15s would work out in my new S2?
Sorry to hear about the setup and nut binding too.
One thing I really like about my dealer is they give every guitar they sell two free setups.
One before you pick it up, and another one anytime down the road.

Nice write up, Drew. I didn't have any setup issues with mine, got her from Sweetwater and it was spot-on. I also didn't experience any nut binding.

I swapped out the SE trem for a MannMade 2000NOS; it's a worthwhile upgrade both tonally and cosmetically. And you can get a "b-stock" one (minor cosmetic flaws) from The Mann for as little as $175.

I couldn't be happier with mine. The 85/15s sound great full-on or tapped, and the satin neck feels great.

I hope you get all of your issues addressed.

Cool to hear your thoughts, Drew. Thanks!

Tops on old CE's were all over the place, I have one that's practically a "8-9" top and another that would probably be graded a "2" :rolleyes:. So while I can't completely agree with your assessment that all the old tops "stunk", I can say I haven't seen a new CE thats top hasn't looked really nice.

Bummer to hear about your trem/nut issues. The SE trem can be a decent piece with some work or modding (specifically with the arm, saddles, and string holes in the block) but unless you've got some spare parts lying around (as I did) it's not really cost effective compared to buying a MannMade trem.

If you get your nut issues sorted and the guitar still won't hold tune after wiggles, check out the trem block's string holes. Both of my SE trems performed better by polishing/de-burring and slightly enlarging those holes... They are a little tight sometimes and can grab the ball-ends of some strings.

Nice review. I appreciate the honesty. Looks like a keeper to me. Hope you get things squared away quickly. Two other things; love the clock! That's cool as cool. The other thing we're all dying to know is
. When is the 594 arriving? :D

Nice review. Looks like you've got yourself a Modified Monday axe there...I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you get the minor issues straighten out.

Pretty good review I'd say. The tops look fantastic, even though the trem isn't up to par. I'm still having mixed feelings about the new ce..
But I'd live to try one out, especially to check out the new 85/15 pickups.

Drew, very balanced and thoughtful review. A few comments. I have seen some really nice old CE tops and some that were kind of plain as well. As far as the new ones, all of the tops have been fantastic. As far as the nut goes, have the dealer cut the slots a bit bigger or try lighter strings for now to see if that is the problem.

Enjoy the hell out of that one and good luck sorting out those problems.

Thanks for your review.

I'm wondering, though - if the trem issue was nut binding, shouldn't the note return a quarter note FLAT rather than SHARP after pulling up on the trem?

My first question would be to ask if the collars on the tuners are tightened enough. I had the same problem on one of my PRS with the SE trems, and that solved it. The next question would be whether or not you changed string gauges. It`s been raining in Washington, DC for 18 consecutive days, and now most of my guitars won`t stay in tune. Some weather changes make neck adjustment necessary. I also didn`t tighten the screws on the tuners correctly and had a tuning problem once. Other than that, I`ve been extremely pleased with the SE tremolo on 3 of my keeper guitars, all with a 4 spring setup. By the way, your guitar is utterly beautiful..

Great review, appreciate the detail!
Sorry to hear about the trem/nut issue. Hopefully you can get this sorted out quickly and with little hassle.

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I'm glad because it seems no one has any in stock nearby for me to check out.

I keep looking for reasons not to buy the Sweetwater 'Satin Blackout' CE 24. These threads aren't helping.

I think if I wasn't happy with the tremolo, I'd call John Mann, and get a great replacement. They're not terribly expensive, and if it'd add to the enjoyment and utility of the guitar...well, what's not to like?

For when you want the bridge pickup a little hotter, I've got a tip (may or may not work for you): Suhr makes a compressor pedal called the Koji Comp. I know, compressor pedals usually don't sound very good, right? But this one can be dialed in to be very transparent, and very subtle. A nice side benefit is that you can boost the signal level just a touch, and even have the option of making it brighter or darker with a toggle switch.

A clean boost can also do this, but what I like about the Koji is that it can be set to be a remote bright switch for the amp as well as a boost, for those occasions where you might want that.

It sounds close to any studio-grade compressor I've owned costing thousands of dollars (of course, I'm speaking only to its use on guitars).

While I don't find that it's necessary with the 85/15s (they're hot enough for me), I do use it occasionally to goose the 58/15s into higher signal levels.

I think if I wasn't happy with the tremolo, I'd call John Mann, and get a great replacement. They're not terribly expensive, and if it'd add to the enjoyment and utility of the guitar...well, what's not to like?

For when you want the bridge pickup a little hotter, I've got a tip (may or may not work for you): Suhr makes a compressor pedal called the Koji Comp. I know, compressor pedals usually don't sound very good, right? But this one can be dialed in to be very transparent, and very subtle. A nice side benefit is that you can boost the signal level just a touch, and even have the option of making it brighter or darker with a toggle switch.

A clean boost can also do this, but what I like about the Koji is that it can be set to be a remote bright switch for the amp as well as a boost, for those occasions where you might want that.

It sounds close to any studio-grade compressor I've owned costing thousands of dollars (of course, I'm speaking only to its use on guitars).

While I don't find that it's necessary with the 85/15s (they're hot enough for me), I do use it occasionally to goose the 58/15s into higher signal levels.

Good tip on pedals. I'll do some research.

I already got a quote from PRS for the PTC to put in a PRS trem. Their standard setup always includes a new nut so I can get everything sorted out at once. It would kind of be neat to have the only new CE (I'm assuming) in existence to have a factory installed core tremolo.

I really hope PRS bridges that gap between the 85/15s and the metal pickups eventually. They could call it the 88/16 or something. Something around 12 or 13 resistance for the bridge with an A5 mag using their latest winding tech. I'd be happy.

Good tip on pedals. I'll do some research.

I already got a quote from PRS for the PTC to put in a PRS trem. Their standard setup always includes a new nut so I can get everything sorted out at once. It would kind of be neat to have the only new CE (I'm assuming) in existence to have a factory installed core tremolo.

I really hope PRS bridges that gap between the 85/15s and the metal pickups eventually. They could call it the 88/16 or something. Something around 12 or 13 resistance for the bridge with an A5 mag using their latest winding tech. I'd be happy.

Nice CE!

It would be VERY cool of PRS to make something between the 85/15 and the metal pickups. They don't really make anything in the mid output range anymore, with the Dragon II's being out of production now (and from what I hear, those were not everyone's favorite). I have a Mira X with a set of the SE245 pickups in it (used guitar, parts bin pickups, long story), my point is, I really like their output, they're hotter than 57/08's, the S2 7's, but not too hot. Would love to get something 12-13k on the bridge, and covered if I'm really lucky.

Anyways, enjoy that CE!!! A looker for sure!

It would kind of be neat to have the only new CE (I'm assuming) in existence to have a factory installed core tremolo.

Remember those AMS and PRS homepage pics of new CE's with USA trems that caused all the confusion before their official release? Doubtful it would be "one of a kind" in any way...

Besides, the Mann trem is somehow(?) actually cheaper than the two-piece Excel bridge.

I haven't seen the new CE "in the flesh" and obviously not played one.
From the demo's I've seen they certainly sound and look great.
My only complaint is that the plastic birds really do look chintzy and cheap. PRS could have done better than that.
Simple moons would look far nicer, but they seem to have gone totally away from that.

Regardless, while I'm tempted, I'm holding out to see if they produce a swamp ash or alder version, plus they list for $xxxx in my neck of the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back