NGD: CE24 With Pics & Review

Very good review,Paul played mine himself before he shipped it to me so it was set up to perfection already.I absolutely love it and I really like the 85/15 pickups and with the coil splitting it can achieve some real nice acoustic tones almost "piezo" sounding.My only complaint if I had one is the trem bar is hard to grasp without a rubber grip.And a instrument like this really needs case.
I love how light and balanced it feels.The neck feels naturally superb and the rosewood fret board is nice and thick.

Remember those AMS and PRS homepage pics of new CE's with USA trems that caused all the confusion before their official release? Doubtful it would be "one of a kind" in any way...

Besides, the Mann trem is somehow(?) actually cheaper than the two-piece Excel bridge.

Those CE's never made it to the public.

I may just send the entire guitar to John Mann. He reworked my S2 and the work is top notch. I'll be in NH next month so I may drop it off.

The reason the Mann trem is cheaper is because it's manufacturer direct. PRS probably pays $180 for the excel bridge and then puts their markup on that.

Great review. I'm not fond of square bobbins. With such sexy curves from one of the best guitar body shapes...the square bobbins look blah! And the theory behind of the square bobbin is suspect at best with regards to tone (just my opinion). I agree on the scarf joint thing too and I don't dig the "raised" control plastic cavity cover or spring cover for that matter. Should be like the core models in my opinion. Thanks for the great review!

Those CE's never made it to the public.

I may just send the entire guitar to John Mann. He reworked my S2 and the work is top notch. I'll be in NH next month so I may drop it off.

The reason the Mann trem is cheaper is because it's manufacturer direct. PRS probably pays $180 for the excel bridge and then puts their markup on that.

Mann trem is one piece. Cheaper. Sounds awesome.

I have a 2006 CE 24 with real pearl birds and a dark cherry maple figured top, and a prs custom truss cover, pickups are HFS/VB it rocks !!!!! look at my avatar its on the right .

Good tip on pedals. I'll do some research.

I already got a quote from PRS for the PTC to put in a PRS trem. Their standard setup always includes a new nut so I can get everything sorted out at once. It would kind of be neat to have the only new CE (I'm assuming) in existence to have a factory installed core tremolo.

I really hope PRS bridges that gap between the 85/15s and the metal pickups eventually. They could call it the 88/16 or something. Something around 12 or 13 resistance for the bridge with an A5 mag using their latest winding tech. I'd be happy.

IF you're going to replace it anyway I would consider the mann one piece trem. It will be cheaper and twice as cool!

Great review. I wish they would have everything flush on the back of the guitar just like the core models, just like the CE's of yesteryear. I think PRS missed the mark on that.

Last edited:
Back