NGD: McCarty 594 SH Aquamarine - no, not the SC you expected

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I placed an order for a McCarty SC594 SH (Singlecut Semi-Hollow), Aquamarine, in August 2018, knowing it would be a while. At the time, expected delivery dates were April/May 2019. OK, I could deal with that. I ordered through @Brian G at Brian's Guitars, who is a great dealer, and whom I will certainly deal with again.

Unfortunately, as many of us have experienced over the last year or so, some stuff took a lot longer to work through production than expected. I'd list the various slips, but the point is: last week we found out it had slipped yet again, and Brian offered me a compromise that I accepted. Instead of the SC594SH Aquamarine that may one day come into being, he had a 10-top double-cut 594SH Aquamarine available in stock. We worked a deal, and that's what arrived today!

mPFkY1j.jpg

When I ordered the Aquamarine finish, Brian mentioned it is very hard o photograph accurately, and that frankly the variety of shades you see when you search the internet are due more to lighting and camera than the actual finish variations. I gotta agree! It was hard finding the right sunlight that lit up the top properly, and even then I had to adjust in Lightroom to get the on-screen to look like what I saw in real life. Even now that isn't 100% accurate.

haSzgq1.jpg

Even though this is a "10 top", there is a slight uneven look to the flame from any one angle under most lighting. But the top is 100% covered, you just need to wiggle it around a bit to see it all.

2pH4qEK.jpg

cGxX5Wj.jpg

3hspTlI.jpg

7OoFLy6.jpg

7gWpEH8.jpg

Nice hybrid hardware:

jAsNFgt.jpg

It plays just like I hoped - it has the heart of Rock'n'Roll and the liver of The Blues. Or something. The push-pull pickup "taps" or "splits" of the 58/15LT pups provide a nice variety of tones - the single coil modes are very convincing!

this was built before the TCI stuff was implemented, so just regular 58/15LTs, ha ha. Also has the 2019 version of the tuners, obviously.

The neck feels different from a Wide-Fat or Pattern neck. Seemed a bit beefier without being any harder to play.

So I need to go play it some more now...

Congrats, that’s a beauty! Aquamarine is a bear to photograph and it seems the core version is brighter than my PS version, but could be due to variance in the Maple top.

Pattern Vintage neck carve is my fav by far, the asymmetric carve really makes a difference on comfort level.

Thanks y'all!

Damn, Steve, that hot!
Why thank you! It is a really nicely playing guitar. Just came up with a chord progression with accoutrements I might be able to use in something, so, as usual, the new toy inspires!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the color, while also difficult to photograph, changes quite drastically in the light. At times it looks teal-black. Other times like Blue Matteo.

And another thing: I dunno if it is the bridge or something else, but it sustains forever! I feel like I have a compression-sustainer pedal on, but don't!

Fantastic! I also like the looks more than a SC.

Of course, your photo skills are top notch as well!

I'm not trying to be a jerk or a "downer" but I don't see a "10" on the back of the headstock? Still, she's beautiful but of course I would expect nothing less from a PRS.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or a "downer" but I don't see a "10" on the back of the headstock? Still, she's beautiful but of course I would expect nothing less from a PRS.

You need glasses. It’s there, plain as day.

Great looking guitar, Steve!

Back