NGD - Custom 24 30th Anniversary Katalox neck

mikecopley1986

Hi and thanks for reading!

I have been a long time lurker on here but never felt that I had the right to post here, I have just bought my first PRS and I can honestly say that I have never been as pleased with a guitar straight out of the box as I am with it.

Here's the story.

My local PRS dealership Wildwire Guitars, Selby (check them out www.wildwireguitars.com ) have always had a fantastic range of PRS Core, S2, SE and Private Stock Guitars, I can honestly say that in my opinion they have one of if not the best stock lists of PRS Guitars and others that i have ever had the pleasure of coming across in the UK.

Also the fact that Chris and Leon Downes (father and son) are the most helpful people that I have ever come across, nothing is too much trouble for them.

I had been looking for a long time for the perfect PRS for me and had never managed to find it (or have the money for it) and the same happened once again on Wednesday 28th October - The day that i had finally saved enough money to purchase the guitar of my dreams.

I was looking for something with a satin neck or something that was quick and easy to play and had seen a couple of single cut’s that they had in stock at the time along with a beautiful Paul's guitar. I spent some time in the shop playing these guitars but nothing felt right and Leon could tell that I wasnt happy with anything that I had tried. He asked me exactly what it was that I was looking for and after playing the guitars they had I said I want something with a satin style neck and by the feel of the gloss necks I wanted a pattern thin profile. To be fair he said that he didn't have anything that met my requirements.

He then told me that Jez Ayscough from Headline Music Ltd was coming into the store that evening to drop off some stock prior to their meeting the next morning.

When Jez arrived he asked me what it was that I was looking for and I told him that I wanted something that had a satin finished neck, he said that he has a few that might be for me and then proceeded to bring out three 30th anniversary custom 24's one with a Rosewood neck and two with Katalox necks and ebony fingerboards.

The Rosewood neck didn’t do it for me but the Katalox ones felt absolutely amazing in my hands and I was sold there and then.

I asked Leon if he would be willing to take one of them into stock for me to pop back over the weekend and try out with my own guitar, he fortunately agreed.

I came back on the Sunday and quickly set up my rig, from the moment that I plugged the guitar in I knew that i had made the right choice, I really couldn’t get the smile off my face!

The guitar gives me everything that i could ever ask for from crisp warm clean tones, blues and classic rock breakup and all the way to chunky hard rock tones.

Once again thank you to Chris and Leon of Wildwire and to Jez of Headline Music. Thank you for your patience and for finding me the guitar of my dreams.

Thank you all for reading.

WOW That is one killer score and it's BLUE
and this Katalox neck looks very similar (in color at least) to BRW

Enjoy it in good health and welcome :beer:

Gorgeous! I love the CU24 30th I have, and I'm sure you'll have no regrets at all. And welcome!

Very nice!

I understand that katalox is very similar to ebony. I love ebony as a fingerboard. Would love to hear one with a whole neck of that (or similar) wood.

I did find one guitar with an ebony front and back (sandwiching curly maple and padauk) but with a rosewood neck (BRW) and ebony board. To say that it "sustains well" is a great understatement. But it is a somewhat "non-traditional" recipe, with different pickups too, so it may be hard to compare to a mahogany and maple bodied PRS.

Would love to hear yours!

That Katalox neck looks nice! I had to look it up, never heard of it before. Very cool!

Thank you all for the welcomes!
lschefman - I have no regrets with this guitar at all so far and don't think I ever will!

G.wizz - it is the same family as rosewood and has the closed texture of Brazilian rosewood

Django49 - the sustain is out of this world to be honest with you. I'll see what I can do about getting a video done (I'm not the worlds greatest guitarist though!

I know of another 5 only in Europe with this neck and I have seen a couple in the USA as well.

Hi Guys,

As promised please see attached.

Not the best video of my playing ill blame it on being tired!
[video]https://youtu.be/I5lwKVFkwB4[/video]

Great looking guitar, love the birds on the ebony fret board!

Lots of sustain, that's for sure! Love the look - as G2* said, those birds on ebony.

Fantastic looking guitar; big congrats!
while the sustain is in spades, I also hear lots of snap and attack in your guitar....more than with a regular rosewood neck I would think. The pickups have a definite impact there as well I know, but that is what I am hearing. I like! :)

Those 30th fretboards just look sharp. Glad you found one that suits your needs! Congrats, looks great!

Man that's pretty...and definitely lotsa chime on those cleans. Congratulations on a superb instrument!

Intriguing neck, please do report back as you play with it more and get more familiar with it.

Back