NGD but confused about the specs... SE Custom 24 Satin Quilt

Andrea

Hi everybody, this is my first PRS and I love it so much. I had a killer deal on this guitar but I am a bit confused about the fretboard.
Official PRS spec say that fretboard is Ebony, but on this guitar it doesnt look right to me, it is more like rosewood.
Is it possible they shipped this model with two different wood types? It is a 2018 model so regulations was still a thing...
Thanks

T9dJdDP.jpg

I0mw1Qd.jpg

KK8RSj4.jpg

Nice looking guitar.
The board does have a Rosewood look to it, but I’ve seen a lot of figure in ebony in recent years since the world got over its fixation on pure black.

I’m with you VB, it looks Rosewoody. It may be a piece of dark Macassar, but it’s unlikely.

Rosewood fo’ sho’. Even if the color was right for Macassar/royal/exotic ebony, ebony has a very tight grain structure and wouldn’t have the open pores you see in the photo.

It's ebony alright. I had two guitars from the stealth series..a se277 and a tremonti and both had brown streaked fretboards very similar to yours but it was ebony, as was the case for my fender Silverburst Tele and my Taylor Mini .
Also, i recomend watching Bob Taylor's 'The State of Ebony' to help you understand why

It's ebony alright. I had two guitars from the stealth series..a se277 and a tremonti and both had brown streaked fretboards very similar to yours but it was ebony, as was the case for my fender Silverburst Tele and my Taylor Mini .
Also, i recomend watching Bob Taylor's 'The State of Ebony' to help you understand why

Good video. Streaky B grade wood is in vogue now for more modern instruments. I’m sure some traditional acoustic players and LP players will prefer the steak-free all black look, but let’s be honest, LP players should just be happy that their customs have fretboards made of wood now. :D I’m still a little skeptical about the fretboard shown here, though. Those seem like some awfully large pores for ebony (unless they found the wood laying in a desert, on top of a furnace, in direct sunlight, with a guy blowing a hair drying directly on it). :)

Welcome to the Enabler's Club Andrea! Congrats on that beauty! I suspect the specs are correct but as CP said a note to PRS will settle the score.

Sweet top!

Oh that might be the case then, i guess they started using more sustainable ebony on this run

Welcome to the Enabler's Club Andrea! Congrats on that beauty! I suspect the specs are correct but as CP said a note to PRS will settle the score.

Sweet top!

Thanks I really love it.
Also I am starting to think its a different sourced ebony on these models. Funny thing is that I contacted prs customer support but they are also confused about this and cannot tell me more as the specs calls for an ebony board

Back