NGD another Blueberry

Greywolf

Luthier and Sound Sensei
As I'm giving my son the SG I've had for 40 years , I've been looking at replacements , almost went with a P90 Iommi or Gary Clark , but the figure on this is particular one is VERY close to the SG I made for Carly Gibson of the Pussywillows.. It also matches my 335 . .. The maple cap is the same thickness as an LP , compund radius mahogany / ebony neck (10-16") and 24 fret 24 .75 " scale , similar to a Santana. the Burstbucker Pro neck (7.71k ohm) bridge (8.56k ohm) are a bit hotter than 58/15LT's do things a little differently: Rather than dumping one coil to ground for a single-coil tone, the push-pull switching on each volume control adds a small capacitor that revoices one coil for P-90-like sound without any notable drop in output. In addition, they feature potted coils to combat feedback at high volumes. there are some good youtube vids of them .. as they aren't PRS I'll leave you to the searching
24862542_10156205869727871_5956876376548117885_n.thumb.jpg.acc775225a6ec5e6c48b7f5aedf5497a.jpg
ajbps0i6zsuxclbhcgi2.jpg

Last edited:
The reviews on line indicate it's the best SG yet .. pleasently surprised it's about 1/2$ of a 594 10 top . The new gibby's are back to being good instruments , NOT quite PRS level ,as long as you don't get sucked into the high end they are a decent value

As I'm giving my son the SG I've had for 40 years , I've been looking at replacements , almost went with a P90 Iommi or Gary Clark , but the figure on this is particular one is VERY close to the SG I made for Carly Gibson of the Pussywillows.. It also matches my 335 . .. The maple cap is the same thickness as an LP , compund radius mahogany / ebony neck (10-16") and 24 fret 24 .75 " scale , similar to a Santana. the Burstbucker Pro neck (7.71k ohm) bridge (8.56k ohm) are a bit hotter than 58/15LT's do things a little differently: Rather than dumping one coil to ground for a single-coil tone, the push-pull switching on each volume control adds a small capacitor that revoices one coil for P-90-like sound without any notable drop in output. In addition, they feature potted coils to combat feedback at high volumes. there are some good youtube vids of them .. as they aren't PRS I'll leave you to the searching
24862542_10156205869727871_5956876376548117885_n.thumb.jpg.acc775225a6ec5e6c48b7f5aedf5497a.jpg
ajbps0i6zsuxclbhcgi2.jpg
Nice

ajbps0i6zsuxclbhcgi2.jpg
Wow!! Beautiful both the one you made and the one you purchased!! 24 Fret SG sounds tempting! Congrats

Carly is playing the Cafe' again next month, she loved the PRS blue Special with the flame neck I brought last time, can't wait to surprise her with her "clone" . She's on a short European tour that includes Jethro Tull ! Hers has a chambered Spanish Cedar core and a matching quilted back , along with pearl Harmonic Designs Z90s 24 fret mahogany /ebony neck. . Mine is due Saturday .... at least I have lots of other beauties to keep me busy while I wait .

Last edited:
This is all part of the Love of Santana journey I've been on since the mid 60's in SF . I've always been attracted to his sound , soul and guitar choices and an SG was his starting ground. The Les Paul custom I've had 54 years was a big part along with my Boogie , and now the Westie and McSoapy through the Paisely Blue Sierra .. To me the PRS Santana while more LP Junior ( which is why I built a walnut one) has an SG element as did his Yahama..
Thank you Devadip , Paul and Ted McCarty

That 335 is so sweet one of the Artists at the Cafe picked one up after playing mine. My HBII is a better instrument , but there is a reason 335's earned the status. SG's are a bit quirky but there is SO much history , like Tele's .. the imperfect lil brother that is somehow endearing.

While both are standard finish models , I looked a LONG time to find examples that are close to my bling standards.. spoiled by luthiery and PRS

LOL .... Way more Red- brown - natural ... I buy blue ones for my daughter ( her fave color to match her eyes) to hopefully pass to a grandaughter ..... dreams do happen ... of course if she does have a baby girl some day I''ll likely add a Bonnie Pink as a 1st bday present .... at this point my grandsons get the rest .

Although I regularly get requests by musicians to adopt them ( One on Saturday!) so they can have a few .. I always laugh and tell them there's a LONG line but I accept applications ... with a Private Stock being the typical admin fee ..... LOL ...

One of my friends asked me Why an SG? .... He's not a fan of them ...: Santana , Clapton, Derek Trucks, Angus Young, Frank Marino , Jerry Garcia , John Cippolina , Pete Townsend, Tony Iommi, Frank Zappa, Gary Clark Jr...'nuff said

Well she arrived this morning , Very beautiful , PLEK'd , and set up by the shop . Plays great , 3/4" AA maple top adds BITE.
Definitely a rock n roll beast . NO neck dive , they 've re-engineered the neck joint with the 24 fret and it looks way more sturdy .

The pickups are a bit on the harsher side but roll off the tone and they work well , spilt they work great for Slide . They are shooting for P90 vs a Strat which makes sense ..... Handles Open G with no issues (10-46 strings) and holds tune as well as being great for fingerpicking.

I'm a HUGE Derek Trucks fan , Now there is an artist I would LOVE to see switch .. hey since there is already a "T/S/ LP" body AND Carlos Santana also started out on one ...... ......just think what a PRS improved SG could.. be violin carved .. Derek Trucks Signature ?

she does look nice under the lights
image.jpeg.ba9e4c239c8c3559ba6e0d96267a2bf0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back