NGD 3 -edit

Here's PRS response the other day:

Hi Will,
Congratulations on your purchase and thanks for playing PRS. Here are the specs on your PS 408 Experience.
Specifications:
Model: DGT SSignatur
Neck wood: Figured mahogany
Fingerboard wood: Cocobolo with curly maple binding
Top wood: Curly maple
Back wood: Figured mahogany
Headstock Veneer wood: Curly maple with curly maple binding
Neck Carve: DGT
Side Dots: BlDot
Color / Stain: Faded AbaFade
Fingerboard inlays: Black lip mother of pearl birds with white mother of pearl outlpear
Headstock veneer inlays: Black lip mother of pearl Private Stock eagle with white mother of pearl outlines
Finish type: High gloss nitro
Pickups: Treble: 408 Bass: 408
Electronics: Signature
Hardware: Gold/nickel PRS tremolo, phase III locking tuning pegs with cocobolo buttons and curly maple backplates
Set-Up: D’Addario .010
Case type: Private Stock leather
Specials: Faded Abalone high gloss nitro finish, black lip mother of pearl bird inlays with white mother of pearl outlines, white mother of pearl “PRS Experience 2012 engraved banner as well as curly maple binding along the fingerboard and headstock veneer. This guitar was built for the 2012 Experience PRS Event.

Thanks,

Se****

Don't think this is a DGT/408 hybrid. LoL, although I've never felt a DGT neck if that was the only thing DGT.
Fretboard looks more like the advertised pernambuco than cocobolo(my 594 has it).

The listing-
Model: 408 PRS Experience 2012 LTD PS#3881
Neck Wood: Figured Mahogany
Fingerboard Wood: Pernambuco w/ Curly Maple Binding
Top Wood: Curly maple
Body Wood: Figured Mahogany
Headstock Veneer Wood: Curly Maple (matching) w/ Curly Maple Binding
Neck Carve: Pattern RRegula
Side Dots: MOP
Fingerboard Inlays: Old Birds Silver MOP
Headstock Veneer Inlays: PS Small Eagle w/Experience 2012 Banner - Silver MOP
Finish Type: HG Nitro
Pickups: Treble: 408 Bass: 408
Electronics: Volume, Tone Control, 3-way Toggle and 2 Mini Switches for Coil-Tap
Hardware: Gold/Nickel PRS Trem, Phase III Locking Tuning Pegs with Ebony Set Screw Buttons
Set-Up: D’Addario .010
Case type: Private Stock Brown Leather
Weight: 8Lbs. 10oz.
Specials: 2012 PRS Experience LTD Guitar, Pernambuco Fretboard, Matching Headstock, Matching Curly Maple Back Plates.

I don't suspect ANY foul play AT ALL!
Unless Paul Reed Smith or one of his prized luthiers did it, this thing looks like the day it came off the factory floor. Having ordered my ChineseRS experiment spec'd out (it's decent faking) and having SE's, and S2's, this is above the average core crafting. And that top... Sweet Jesus, that top..........

My speculation is that there may have been occasional confusion with Experience Private Stocks... Or at least this one.

Would love to have the paper, but I'd rather have this guitar and case any day over the paper. No doubt where this guitar was produced!!!
Wow, pretty wild difference for a PS! Beautiful either way. I think Pattern Regular is close to the DGT carve? Enjoy the heck out of it!

Definitely interesting. What's up with the bird inlays tho? It looks like 2 of them are outline only but I can't see any rhyme or reason behind it. Could just be the pics or my prevailing state of confusion :)

The fretboard could be either or, it's hard to tell from the pics. Both Permanbuco and Cocobolo have that kind of orange mixed with darker colors. Permanbuco is widely considered to be the best wood available for making violin bows. I haven't seen a lot of it used in guitars but it certainly makes sense. Either wood makes an excellent fretboard material but my personal vote would be for cocobolo as it has a naturally high oil content. The fretboard on my 594 is cocobolo and I love both the looks and feel of it.

Congrats, quite a unique guitar :)

No problem with either fretboard wood.
In person, it looks a little darker than the Cocobolo I own and pics I've seen. Doesn't really show those orange stripes per say. I know each piece is unique, but in person it doesn't scream Cocobolo at all.

Since from what I've read/heard they don't reissue the paper, who knows.
Lark was also contacting PRS, said the owner didn't provide them. Did say it was definitely a case dweller for sure.

Had someone hung fake new tags on it with nothing opened, I'd swear it was new old stock.

Board looks like cocobolo to me. Pernie has more of an orange color shade,not much depth to it.

Well... Wife and life happened... Might be putting it back on the market... and I'm not quite completely stupid enough to think I'll get what I paid butttttt... Reverb might have a friend soon even though I fLEbay acquired it.
:(:(:(

Last edited:
Well... Wife and life happened... Might be putting it back on the market... and I'm not quite completely stupid enough to think I'll get what I paid butttttt... Reverb might have a friend soon even though I fLEbay acquired it.
:(:(:(

Ahhhhh no! Do sell it, you’ll regret it

Bummer you may have to let it go already.

Interesting that they call it a DGT model considering the control layout is 408. So the only thing DGT about it is the neck carve, which isn’t a visible attribute.

Back