NGD - 2022 Tremonti Stoptail

xxxadixxx

Yesterday was a very exciting day as my "final" PRS arrived... even though I may have said that same statement 2 or 3 guitars ago. I have been on the lookout for a charcoal Tremonti stoptail for almost 8 months and have not had much luck. I scored a beautiful gray/black Tremonti Tremolo last summer which fit the immediate need for a Tremonti, but the stoptail version remained elusive. After much soul searching (and reading through several forum posts where members shared thoughts on how much or little the aesthetics of the guitar should influence the purchase) I reconsidered my search.

The Charcoal finish is still one of my favorites because of the sharp contrast of light/dark on the top paired with the natural back/neck. What was really driving me were two "issues" with my first Tremonti: the tremolo and the black neck/back. This shifted my search to a Tremonti stoptail with natural back and a darker top. There are not many contrasting finishes like that currently available and stoptail Tremontis are even more rare. I watched Reverb for a few months and even the Candy Pusher (SW), where a charcoal stoptail lasted 1 day!, with very little luck. A couple of weeks ago a gently used 2022 Tremonti stoptail came up on Reverb in Purple Iris. Admittedly, without seeing the color in person I was not enamored with the color, but it fit all of my minimum requirements and was in fantastic shape. The typical email exchanges, request for additional pictures, etc. followed and yesterday it joined my growing PRS family!

The original owner purchased it new late last summer and the guitar was built in July 2022 which makes it the newest of my PRS. While "used" there is very little wear on the guitar. There is a minor indentation behind the bridge (shown in the final picture) which is hard to pick up on photos, though you can feel it under your fingers. No other signs of use and it plays wonderfully (as expected from a PRS).

I am very excited and glad to have the new guitar in my collection. It will get cleaned up and a new set of strings later today before really being put through the paces (Schaller strap locks arrive tomorrow, safety first!). In person, the color is fantastic and the inconsistency of the top is something I prefer. The second shot below is the "money shot" where the darker top, natural back, and natural binding just hit all the right notes. That is what got me going down this path and this guitar fully met everything I was trying to accomplish. With my PRS family reaching the 5 guitar level... I should be done for awhile ;)

52621946097_6e17525301_z.jpg

52621946192_99c5c958c7_z.jpg

52622938223_7f613b5289_z.jpg

52622458051_911811fb9a_b.jpg

52621946587_7837d6f0cd_c.jpg

Yesterday was a very exciting day as my "final" PRS arrived... even though I may have said that same statement 2 or 3 guitars ago. I have been on the lookout for a charcoal Tremonti stoptail for almost 8 months and have not had much luck. I scored a beautiful gray/black Tremonti Tremolo last summer which fit the immediate need for a Tremonti, but the stoptail version remained elusive. After much soul searching (and reading through several forum posts where members shared thoughts on how much or little the aesthetics of the guitar should influence the purchase) I reconsidered my search.

The Charcoal finish is still one of my favorites because of the sharp contrast of light/dark on the top paired with the natural back/neck. What was really driving me were two "issues" with my first Tremonti: the tremolo and the black neck/back. This shifted my search to a Tremonti stoptail with natural back and a darker top. There are not many contrasting finishes like that currently available and stoptail Tremontis are even more rare. I watched Reverb for a few months and even the Candy Pusher (SW), where a charcoal stoptail lasted 1 day!, with very little luck. A couple of weeks ago a gently used 2022 Tremonti stoptail came up on Reverb in Purple Iris. Admittedly, without seeing the color in person I was not enamored with the color, but it fit all of my minimum requirements and was in fantastic shape. The typical email exchanges, request for additional pictures, etc. followed and yesterday it joined my growing PRS family!

The original owner purchased it new late last summer and the guitar was built in July 2022 which makes it the newest of my PRS. While "used" there is very little wear on the guitar. There is a minor indentation behind the bridge (shown in the final picture) which is hard to pick up on photos, though you can feel it under your fingers. No other signs of use and it plays wonderfully (as expected from a PRS).

I am very excited and glad to have the new guitar in my collection. It will get cleaned up and a new set of strings later today before really being put through the paces (Schaller strap locks arrive tomorrow, safety first!). In person, the color is fantastic and the inconsistency of the top is something I prefer. The second shot below is the "money shot" where the darker top, natural back, and natural binding just hit all the right notes. That is what got me going down this path and this guitar fully met everything I was trying to accomplish. With my PRS family reaching the 5 guitar level... I should be done for awhile ;)

52621946097_6e17525301_z.jpg

52621946192_99c5c958c7_z.jpg

52622938223_7f613b5289_z.jpg

52622458051_911811fb9a_b.jpg

52621946587_7837d6f0cd_c.jpg
Nice

As someone actively looking for a new Tremonti I love this post, congrats. I have considered the stoptail also, is there much of a feel or tone difference than with the trem version?

As a late model used guitar I am curious about cost, if you don’t mind sharing could you PM me…..I am torn between used and new and lately sometimes the cost difference on a late model guitar seems to shrink to the point of making it a harder decision than it used to be.

Smokin!!! Congrats on the score! Dig me some Tremonti. Mine is killer, although trem, but that's what I was looking for.

I 100% agree with you on the natural back. Looks great! One of the reasons I pulled the trigger on mine is a change up with its white back.

Great guitar man. I own a signature and an SE, and this is one of the few parts of the PRS line where there is a large difference between the two models. A lot of the PRS I play (SE or not) seem to really be close in style, sound, etc. but for some reason the Tremonti's seem very different, signature to SE.

Awesome guitar! How do you find the two (trem and stoptail) compare? I’m looking to get my first Tremonti and am leaning towards a stoptail, but they are harder to find.

I have a CU24, DGT, and a SSH so I’m covered in the trem front, but wondering how the two Tremonti models compare if I only get one.

Back