NGD 2012 SE Tremonti Custom

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I have a serious case of GAS.
That could stand for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, or Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

SE Mark Tremonti Custom
The other SE Tremonti that is currently up on the PRS site has a standard tailpiece, and the Custom one I have has the tremolo on it like the USA built Tremonti guitar.
The Custom one also has the hotter 245 pickups on it instead of the ones currently offered on the regular SE Tremonti.

The new custom also has the neck on it like my SE Custom 24, a wide/thin pattern which is very similar to the mid 60s neck of my 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG.
The regular SE Tremonti has the wide/fat neck like my sons SE Custom Semi-Hollow and my SE Santana.
The wide/fat neck is great, I love it, but I prefer the wide/thin neck a little more.

There are two UK sites up now with info on this guitar, and one site is calling it the SE Tremonti Signature, while the other site is calling it the SE Tremonti Custom.
http://www.toneworld.co.uk/electric...-signature-limited-edition-in-gray-black-p998

http://www.musicradar.com/totalguitar/prs-unveils-se-tremonti-custom-564553

When my local dealer I deal with placed my order on October the 5th, PRS told him it was called a SE Tremonti Custom.

This is a 22 fret model and a 25" scale which is like my sons Custom Semi-Hollow.
I find it very easy to play with the 25" scale.
My SE Santana is 24.5", and the Gibson SG is 24.75" like most Gibson electrics, and my Custom 24 is a 25" scale.

I was not really going to get back to playing a Les Paul shaped guitar again after having owned a Univox copy in the early 70s, and then finally a real '73 Les Paul Deluxe I got in that year.
I am glad I went for this new model, it plays very well.

Currently there are only a few videos up on YouTube of this new guitar.

Anderton's Music in the UK released a video earlier in the week testing one out, and also the SE245.

It has been a nightmare getting this new guitar though.
Order placed October the 5th, and we waited and waited, and it never showed up.
My dealer called his PRS rep up, and she was surprised it had not shown up yet.
Upon further investigation she found out PRS shipping sent it to PA and not my WA state :(

Replacement was sent on Halloween (Wednesday) and it arrived eight days later at my dealer, but he informed me UPS broke it.
Something sharp like rebar or similar punched a whole in the top of the shipping box and went through the gig bag and finally the guitar :(

Another replacement was sent, but PRS does not provide some dealers with tracking numbers, and he did not know the date it was shipped, as his rep could not get him an accurate date.
I finally got the call yesterday on Friday that it had arrived, and was in perfect shape.
Third times a charm???
Looks like it shipped on the 21st according to the UPS tracking number from the box.
Tukwila, WA, United States 11/30/2012 11:36 A.M. Delivered
11/30/2012 6:12 A.M. Out For Delivery
11/30/2012 5:15 A.M. Arrival Scan
Seattle, WA, United States 11/30/2012 4:44 A.M. Departure Scan
Seattle, WA, United States 11/29/2012 9:44 P.M. Arrival Scan
Laurel, MD, United States 11/26/2012 6:36 A.M. Departure Scan
Laurel, MD, United States 11/21/2012 10:18 P.M. Arrival Scan
Easton, MD, United States 11/21/2012 8:52 P.M. Departure Scan
11/21/2012 7:25 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/21/2012 3:44 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Nine days for this one, one extra day probably due to Thanksgiving last week.

Picked it up this morning since they had to work on it first with:
Planet Wave Autotrim Tuners, Ernie Ball Cobalt strings in 9-42, and then do a complete setup on it.
PRS does a setup too before it leaves Maryland, but my dealer goes over it with a fine tooth comb and makes sure everything is setup perfectly.
I then added the Schaller Strap Locks to it.

Also picked up the new TC Electronics Delay Flashback X4 pedal.
I like this much better than my Wampler Faux Tape Echo one, and will be giving that one to my youngest son for his guitar setup.
It also has a looper in it so I can record a rhythm track on it, play it back, and play lead over the top of it.

I had picked up the TC Electronics Dreamscape pedal a month back too that John Petrucci of Dream Theater uses, very cool pedal too.
Check out the vids at the URLs above and also YouTube on these very cool pedals.

I also inquired about that Gorgomyte stuff for fret boards and frets I read about on this forum, and they had some, and they threw in a pack.
This stuff is suppose to great for cleaning your fret board and frets when you do a string change.
http://gorgomyte.com/

On with some pics of my newest acquisition.
Is there a cure, I am not sure if I want to be cured ;)
The black/gray combo looks pretty nice I think.
I think it is time for me to look into a new camera too, not very happy with the way my pictures have been turning out as of late.

This is one thick guitar, much thicker than the regular SE Tremonti.
Weight wise I would put it on par with my SE Custom 24.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's about time. I already commented in the other prs forum lol

Happy NGD!

Nice guitars and amps you got there, and congrats on the new addition.

Nice.. I really liked the Trans-Black finish (looks like Mark's basically) but the purple was lovely in the flesh.. shame we got the cherry to review really, it was probably the worst colour of the three!

Thanks guy's, I am very pleased with the new addition.

The PRS Multifit case fits it perfectly too.
Amazing how many different PRS guitars will fit in the same case.

Zukabak, I had asked my sales guy at Sweetwater if he could get one of the black cherry ones if they had any in Maryland, and he asked, but none were in stock.
This was of course if mine never came in from my local dealer.
Does the black cherry one not look so great in person?

One thing...
I noticed when I first got my Santana and had the tremolo arm on it, the lid would push the arm down thus lowering the pitch.
I do not use the tremolo on the Santana or Custom 24, but I gave it a try yesterday on the Tremonti, then I took it off.

Will it hurt to have the case lid pushing down on the arm all the time, or is it advised to take the arm off when storing the guitars in the cases?

I'd definately take the arm off. These trem systems are a lot nicer than the old fashioned Fender screw in types... Probably another reason why I used to deck them and never use them. The SE one seems to work very well.

Great! was expecting to see your NGD when I came in today.

Looks like I will need one of those multi-fit. The standard singlecut and vintage cases I have didn't work for the SE

Enjoy it. I love it

Will it hurt to have the case lid pushing down on the arm all the time, or is it advised to take the arm off when storing the guitars in the cases?

Yeah, you'll have less tension on the neck when it's stored, meaning when you take the guitar out you'd have to wait for the neck to adjust to the added tension of the strings. Plus, you always want to take the trem arm off a guitar when it's being stored in a case.

Beautiful guitar though, I'm glad you finally got it! I should have mine in a couple of days if I'm lucky!

Thanks guy's for the tips on the tremolo arm.
Wish there was a knurled knob on it to make it easier to take off/on without using the small allen wrench each time.\

SOP, I predict yours will land Tuesday.

It was kind of cool to see the tracking info for mine once I had it off of the box it was shipped in.
To bad I did not have that info prior though, it would sure have saved a lot of guessing when it was going to land at the store.

My sales guy at Sweetwater just left me voicemail, he said PRS is out of the guitars until late January.
Looks like I got mine just in time :D

Corey-- is that a PRS multi-fit case you have it sitting in. Looks as if it fits well in it. I am trying to find a decent case for my boys SE245 and has the thick body.

Thanks guy's for the tips on the tremolo arm.
Wish there was a knurled knob on it to make it easier to take off/on without using the small allen wrench each time.\

SOP, I predict yours will land Tuesday.

It was kind of cool to see the tracking info for mine once I had it off of the box it was shipped in.
To bad I did not have that info prior though, it would sure have saved a lot of guessing when it was going to land at the store.

I didn't even realize there was a allen screw for the tremolo bar. I just went and tightened the screw on mine.

Corey-- is that a PRS multi-fit case you have it sitting in. Looks as if it fits well in it. I am trying to find a decent case for my boys SE245 and has the thick body.
Yes it is.
I have five of the cases now, and they fit my SE Custom 24, SE Santana, my son's SE Semi-Hollow, and now the SE Tremonti Custom.
I didn't even realize there was a allen screw for the tremolo bar. I just went and tightened the screw on mine.
I wonder if I left it just a bit slack, and then just pushed it in each time I wanted to use it, or if I should tighten/untighten it everytime I take it on/off?
Kind of a PITA to use the allen screw each time.

Well I have been using it just pushed in (never tightened) and never had any problems.

It is Virtuoso time again.
http://www.virtuosopolish.com/
Got out the new Virtuoso Polish and did the new guitar with it.
I think this is the best polish for guitars.
To bad my camera is taking lousy pics, time to ask Santa for a new one.
They are just not turning out sharp anymore, and they get blurry.

Pictures do not do it justice, it is so reflective and smooth.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Back