NGD 2012 P22 Rosie Orange Tiger, and pup question...

dmatthews

Dave's not here
***Sorry about the double post, it was suggested I post this here and not in "General". Cheers.***

So... I needed/wanted some acoustic sounds without changing guitars at a gig. The result is this P22 guitar that I fell in love with immediately.

So glad I picked this beauty up!
But now on to the question...
A friend of mine and I got into a discussion regarding exactly what type of magnetic pups are in this particular guitar. He is fairly sure that it has 5310s, and I "suspect" it has 5708s. It was built on December 13th 2012.
Here's the modcat:

Model: P22 or P24
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Ten Top
Neck Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Neck Carve: Pattern/Regular (Standard)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: 2013 Birds
Bridge: Piezo Adjustable Stoptail
Color: Orange Tiger
Hardware: Gold
Treble Pickup: P22

Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: P22
Electronics: 5-Way Bladeswitch

:rock:

We know that 5310 wire ran out, and that 5708 became the defacto pup for a P22 after that. The question is, how do I tell what my pups are? Now... I asked PTC what they were given the SN and was told they are 5708 based on the fact that the guitar was shipped after March 2012, but my friend insists that March 2013 would be more accurate.
Every P22 Orange Tiger with Rosewood neck and gold HW I've seen from 2012 lists 5708.
But... every other 2012 P22 is listed with 5310.
There in lies the conundrum. What are they? And thank you for your help!

And now for some more pron...

Gorgeous! If you're familiar with 57/08s, the 53/10s are more rounded in the attack, and less bright on the top.

I have no idea which pups you have, but nice IRW neck, and gorgeous flame! Congrats!

The specs page for the P22 still listed 53/10 pickups until the end of 2012. I purchased my P22 in early January 2013 right after they announced the change. My P22 is a 2012 Experience model with 53/10's. Based on the date, I would think your P22 has 53/10's but I don't know how to tell for sure since the MODCAT just says P22 pickups either way.

Gorgeous! If you're familiar with 57/08s, the 53/10s are more rounded in the attack, and less bright on the top.
Thanks! Unfortunately I have no first hand experience with either pup.

I have no idea which pups you have, but nice IRW neck, and gorgeous flame! Congrats!
Thank you very much!

The specs page for the P22 still listed 53/10 pickups until the end of 2012. I purchased my P22 in early January 2013 right after they announced the change. My P22 is a 2012 Experience model with 53/10's. Based on the date, I would think your P22 has 53/10's but I don't know how to tell for sure since the MODCAT just says P22 pickups either way.
Seems like I should have pulled a pup when I changed the strings for the first time the other night. Dang, I was in too much of a hurry.

That, sir, is an exceedingly pretty guitar in an perfect color. Congratulations!

RE: the pickups, if that was me, not knowing if they were 57/08s or 53/10s would keep me awake at night. I'd probably pull the strings unless they were a $12 set or something. I have successfully re-inserted strings with both Phase IIs and Phase IIIs when tinkering...just sayin...

Seems like I should have pulled a pup when I changed the strings for the first time the other night. Dang, I was in too much of a hurry.

Good idea but I'll bet it just says P22 on it. I haven't checked mine yet but I have seen others that say P22.

Great guitar either way though. I love the neck on it.

keep the strings locked in tuners; loosen strings completely. If your like me, and leave a little extra to wrap ( not necessary on locking tuners though), you should have enough slack to take out neck pickup to look at backplate.

P22's are the bomb.....I'd love to add one to my arsenal.

A split coil (white) wire is a good indication of 53/10s.

That gets me every time, Dave. *drool* The gold hardware is perfect with that color and top. And the neck...crap, more drooling! :biggrin:

I would start with pulling the pickups. If labeled "P22" then look at the electrical specs and draw a logical conclusion. And yes, it would drive me nuts, too.

Back