NGD – PRS Korina Custom 22 – Three Soapbar

vp101

Hey Folks!

I’ve always been curious about P90s and had heard about the fact that they’re a very versatile design. In March 2019, I took a trip to LA and tried out a few P90 guitars there. I was very impressed with the sound of P90s and knew that I’d own a P90 guitar at some point in the future.

However, after trying out various guitars, I understood that the LP shape and ergonomics were something that wouldn’t work for me. At this time, I also purchased a PRS CE24 and was quite pleased with it. I also found out that PRS had made a few soapbar models and was strongly considering getting one in the near future. Well, I finally have my soapbar guitar!

There was an all Korina PRS 3 P90 guitar for sale on Reverb and I purchased it some days back. I believe this guitar is something of a limited run and was built in 2008.

Specs:
  • Korina Neck and Body
  • Rosewood Fingerboard
  • Duncan/PRS Soapbar Pickups
  • 5 way Pickups with multiple switch that allows Neck + Bridge in position 3
  • Standard Neck (I think it’s basically the Pattern Regular) – I love this since I like narrower nut widths

I’ve had this guitar for a week or so. I’m absolutely loving the sounds I’m getting with this guitar. Hopefully, I have many more years of playing this guitar!

Edit - For some reason I'm not able to post images. I can see that there's an automated script that's preventing me from doing so.
AY2sOZD

Hey Folks!

I’ve always been curious about P90s and had heard about the fact that they’re a very versatile design. In March 2019, I took a trip to LA and tried out a few P90 guitars there. I was very impressed with the sound of P90s and knew that I’d own a P90 guitar at some point in the future.

However, after trying out various guitars, I understood that the LP shape and ergonomics were something that wouldn’t work for me. At this time, I also purchased a PRS CE24 and was quite pleased with it. I also found out that PRS had made a few soapbar models and was strongly considering getting one in the near future. Well, I finally have my soapbar guitar!

There was an all Korina PRS 3 P90 guitar for sale on Reverb and I purchased it some days back. I believe this guitar is something of a limited run and was built in 2008.

Specs:
  • Korina Neck and Body
  • Rosewood Fingerboard
  • Duncan/PRS Soapbar Pickups
  • 5 way Pickups with multiple switch that allows Neck + Bridge in position 3
  • Standard Neck (I think it’s basically the Pattern Regular) – I love this since I like narrower nut widths

I’ve had this guitar for a week or so. I’m absolutely loving the sounds I’m getting with this guitar. Hopefully, I have many more years of playing this guitar!

Edit - For some reason I'm not able to post images. I can see that there's an automated script that's preventing me from doing so.
AY2sOZD
Those are sweet guitars. One of three hundred limited run. As for pics, you have to upload them to a third party site like Imgur or Postimage. They’re free, and then you can link them in your post.

Congrats! What you've got sounds like a "KL-380" model, named after the PRS factory whose address is 380 Log Canoe Circle in Stevensville, MD.

FYI--there's also a "KL-33" and a "KL-1812," named after PRS's previous addresses. I suggest collecting the whole set! (I've never seen that done, but it would be amazing.)

Congrats! What you've got sounds like a "KL-380" model, named after the PRS factory whose address is 380 Log Canoe Circle in Stevensville, MD.

FYI--there's also a "KL-33" and a "KL-1812," named after PRS's previous addresses. I suggest collecting the whole set! (I've never seen that done, but it would be amazing.)
Learned something today.

Huh! I remember those guitars well from forums back in the day, but I never had the faintest idea where the names (numbers) came from. Very interesting!

I’m a huge fan of triple soapies, and have three. I think they’re most most interesting sounding guitars I ever played. And the maple boards sound really different from the rosewood boards. The early ones had SD hot P90’s, the later ones have SD vintage P90’s. Yours should be vintage. Congratulations on buying a korina, and having the hearing to understand it. If you raise or lower the pickups, you can alter the sound of the guitar tremendously.

I’m a huge fan of triple soapies, and have three. I think they’re most most interesting sounding guitars I ever played. And the maple boards sound really different from the rosewood boards. The early ones had SD hot P90’s, the later ones have SD vintage P90’s. Yours should be vintage. Congratulations on buying a korina, and having the hearing to understand it. If you raise or lower the pickups, you can alter the sound of the guitar tremendously.

I miss my first run 22Soapy! The one PRS I really would like to get back.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Yes, it's an amazing guitar. I've been playing it everyday since I got it and am amazed at the sounds on offer. Love how well it responds to the volume knob.

Also, I'm going to try and experiment with the height at which the pickups are set. That's something I haven't done. I'm curious to see how much the sound changes (in a good way).

Cheers folks! Great to be back in the PRS Family.

Back