1999 custom 22 - modded. PU change?

paulmapp8306

so, had my PRS CU22 since new in 1999. Its been modded somewhat. the tuners were replaced about 5 years ago when the "cam" style ones cracked. the tonepot was modded with PIO caps about 15 years ago. PUs are BK Mules (never really liked the Dragon 2s) BUT even those are modded lol - the neck PU has had its magnet swapped - from its stock alnico 4 to an alnico 2. Neck is unchanged.

So - Its a little "messy" inside, and Im contemplating complete new electronics (5 way rotary, tone and vol pot) and potentially installing some 57/05 PUs.

Question in - is it really worth it lol. Its not cheap....and It could probably do with a re-fret fairly soon. Do I make SOME changes - ie the pots, is it worth swapping the PUs? or do I just get a new model.

im a little unsure - especially as its no longer my No 1 guitar - that label now belongs to my tom Anderson Cobra S loaded with 3 x P90s.

Yes it's a guitar worth keeping, if it still feels "right" in your hands. (I mean, you've had it for 20+ years and worn the frets down on it, right?) And yes, I think 57/08's would be fabulous in a CU22. However--especially with 57/08 pickups--I would simply swap the rotary pickup selector for a 3-way toggle, put in some regular ol' non-push-pull 500k pots (and a treble-bleed on the volume, if you're so inclined) and go with it like that with all new cleaned-up electronics & wiring. Would be a killer guitar, very versatile.

If you would miss it, keep it, and if you are going to keep it, make it what you want it to be.

Yes it's a guitar worth keeping, if it still feels "right" in your hands. (I mean, you've had it for 20+ years and worn the frets down on it, right?) And yes, I think 57/08's would be fabulous in a CU22. However--especially with 57/08 pickups--I would simply swap the rotary pickup selector for a 3-way toggle, put in some regular ol' non-push-pull 500k pots (and a treble-bleed on the volume, if you're so inclined) and go with it like that with all new cleaned-up electronics & wiring. Would be a killer guitar, very versatile.
Id like a 5 way blade, but obviously that wont fit. I use those in-between positions a LOT, so going to just a 3 way isnt something Id really want to do. I wouldnt be adverse to a 3 way plus a coil tap though. Id only get one of the 2 in-between sounds of the 5 way, but Id add neck coil tap on its own which isnt a bad thing.

I have a 2004 CU22 owned from new. I recently swapped out the Dragon IIs for 57/08s removed the rotary and have three way blade and push pull splitter on the tone knob. Transformed the guitar. From spending its life in the hard case it’s now my go to gigging guitar along with a HB II SE piezo. It’s always played nicely but now it sounds like it plays.

I love the BKP Mules. I wouldn’t swap those for 57/08’s personally.

Just clean up the wiring and perhaps new pots and such.
I have Mules in my s2 standard 22...theyre phenomenal..
Bought it used with them I was honestly shocked how good they sound...

Do the 57/08s, add the 3 way and then 2 push/pull pots and you have a versatile setup. I did that with my SE DGT and it's exceptional now.

I have a 245 with 57/08s and separate push-pull pots. It really is the way to go, IMHO.

I kept the rotary in mine, and did put covered 57/08’s in it. It’s smoking hot now.

I have a 2004 CU22 owned from new. I recently swapped out the Dragon IIs for 57/08s removed the rotary and have three way blade and push pull splitter on the tone knob. Transformed the guitar. From spending its life in the hard case it’s now my go to gigging guitar along with a HB II SE piezo. It’s always played nicely but now it sounds like it plays.

I am in the same camp as these two gentlemen. I have an 06 CU22 that came with the three way toggle in it with a push pull tone for tapping stock. Mine is a stop tail. I was not a fan of the Dragon II pickups either. I had the PTC put 57/08s in it. That also took my CU22 from one that spent a lot of time in the case to a completely different sounding guitar that I love to this day. I added the resistors in it myself for the taps like the newer models have. It is one of those guitars that I will have to the end. It is also the first PRS I ever bought.

I forgot to mention that I also put lampshade knobs on it. That rally updated the look of the guitar.

Id like a 5 way blade, but obviously that wont fit. I use those in-between positions a LOT, so going to just a 3 way isnt something Id really want to do. I wouldnt be adverse to a 3 way plus a coil tap though. Id only get one of the 2 in-between sounds of the 5 way, but Id add neck coil tap on its own which isnt a bad thing.
I feel the same way about my CE22 - I am trying to find a schematic for wiring up a 3-way switch for positions 10, 9, and 6 on the old rotary (since I only use one of those "in-between" positions)

Back