New Vela owner, looking to add a core guitar

jklotz

Hi guys. I'm new here. Been lurking for a bit, thanks to those of you that shared your knowledge and taught me a lot about PRS guitars.

So I bought a Vela a little while ago, and really love it. Killer guitar! I'm a tele guy, and play mostly old school country and country rock (otherwise known as "Americana"). We've been doing a few more rocking' tunes as of late, and having the ability to switch between bucker and split has been great! I'm still bringing my tele to gigs, but, for the moment, seems to be a backup that isn't seeing much action with the band. I really dig the Vela!

Given what I play, and that I'm mostly a single coil guy, the next "step up" to a core guitar seems inevitable. And Brent Mason is one of my heroes (I probably owe him some $ anyway, considering how many licks I stole from him). So I've been on the hunt for a Brent Mason Sig. This seem like a good choice, considering what I play?

Also, I've been looking around for one. Problem is there aren't that many around, and the few I've seen weigh a ton. I really prefer lighter guitars. There was a 7lb, 8oz natural one at Willcutt Guitars that I tried to buy but we had a miscommunication, and somebody bought it out from under me. Urrrggghhh! That was the lightest one I could find. The others list the weight at close to 9lbs, which is way to heavy for me. There is a white one on the GC website, but I called and they are not able to weigh it before sending out. Plus it's white, and I don't want a white guitar. Any suggestions on finding one that is light weight and not white?

Thanks guys!

That's probably the model I'd go with, although there are options like the 513, 305, etc. that are worth at least listening to before making a final decision since you like single coils. For what you want though, I think Brent Mason, Paul's Guitar or a 408 (there are differences, but also a lot of similarities) seem like great options. I don't know Brent Mason's stuff well, but I've really been considering getting one after I get a P24 or P22. :)

I have a couple 513s and they are both pretty heavy. (one maple top and one swamp ash). killer variety of tones, but a bit weighty.
I found a DC3 used and its great for SC tones, and light weight. But the Brent Mason almost has it all...Yeah, go with a Brent!!!

I'm surprised that the BMs you're seeing are up around the 9lb mark, that's Singlecut territory IMO.

Keep hunting, you'll find one for sure.

Given what you play musically, I think the BM is the right choice. Good luck on finding one you like.

Try a 513 if you can. It won't do a proper Tele, but it will do everything else.... very well....
On the other hand, the DGT in split mode gets close to Tele territory...maybe even sweeter sometimes. Then there are the fabulous bucker tones it makes.... :top:
There's a reason it's one of the best selling models.

Last edited:
The BM was the first thing that came to mind, followed by a DGT. The 408 is also a good choice - some similarities to the BM, but w/o the middle pickup.

The DGT was designed with David Grissom, a terrific roots/Americana player. Also does a lot of Nashville session work, like Mason.

So that might be more different from your Vela if you want diversity of tone.

If you can't find a BM I would look at a Pauls guitar then a 408 , the 305 kills and they are pretty light also
Good hunting

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm having a heck of a time finding a BM to try. I may try to get out to GC this W/E to play a DGT, and also see what else they have to play.

Well, I went to GC and tried a DGT. It was a pretty amazing guitar. They had a good price on it, let me use a 15% coupon I had and gave me a decent trade in value for a guitar I wasn't using much, so I bought it. I took it straight to band rehearsal. I'll post a NGD in another thread with some pics when I get some time. It's a really amazing guitar. (those 11's gotta go, my fingers are killing me after a 4 hour rehearsal!)

Anyway, now that I got bit by the pre bug, I stll think I want a Brent Mason, but I am quite happy with the DGT. I think I'm going to spend some time with this one, and hopefully, when I get ready, they will be a little easier to find. Thanks again for all of you that made suggestions.

Cool - congrats! (No welcome to the club until the NGD thread!)

Curious - do you normally play 9s or 10s? I played pretty much all 9s before I got my DGT, so the 11s were a bit of a shock, but somewhere in that time frame, PRS had switched to 10s by default so I was starting to switch to 10s. Point being - if you can, give the 11s a bit of time. They really don't feel like 11s to me because of the frets. There are times that I notice they're heavier than my usual, but not often. The fret size actually gives me a bit more of an issue than the strings.

Congrats on the DGT. I haven't played one, but I've heard good things about them. I have a Brent Mason, and I like it a lot. I'm a Tele player too, and the Brent Mason gets pretty close to that considering it's not a Tele, plus I can get some convincing Strat combination settings, and the neck humbucker is probably the best jazz tone I've ever gotten from a solidbody. I've never played another Brent Mason--they do seem to be hard to find; I got mine sight-unseen except for photos, but the playability and sound didn't disappoint me at all. I wanted a natural one with a rosewood fretboard, couldn't find one anywhere, and Sweetwater had a Whitewash one with a rosewood board, so I took a chance and ordered it. It's probably the most versatile guitar I have. It's not light--I haven't weighed it, but it's pretty heavy--not as bad as a Les Paul, but it's pretty chunky, although once it's strapped on it's not too bad (I use a nice thick Levy's strap with it). I am looking for a lighter-weight case for it, though--the standard PRS hardshell weighs a ton!

Yea, I noticed that. The case for my DGT weighs as much as a small amp! I was thinking the next purchase for me will probably be one of those really nice mono gig bags.

The DGT is a killer guitar. I still want a BM, but I'm quite content to spend a little time getting to know the DGT better, so I've got some time to find the right one. I'm pretty sure a sub 8 lb will turn up in a color I want sooner or later. Jeez, talk about 1st world problems.

Back