New tuning buttons

Soooo, I noticed something in the picture of the new buttons on the PRS website that completely cements my decision on these new buttons. I noticed that here is no screw in the end of them. They are molded on the tuner shaft. That makes them like the tuners on the silver sky. That cements a big NO WAY on my ever purchasing a guitar with them. If I did, I would immediately need to find a set of the Phase IIIs with the buttons like my other guitars. I don't like plastic buttons and I really don't like them molded on to the shaft like that. That is a cheap way of doing things IMHO and I don't want that on my guitars.

Not according to this:
Screenshot-20240116-140828-Chrome.jpg

I mean, WTF is that?

EDIT: Have they always had two screws per tuner? I thought they only had one. Maybe I just never looked, like ever!
Two screws on all the Phase IIIs I have.

Soooo, I noticed something in the picture of the new buttons on the PRS website that completely cements my decision on these new buttons. I noticed that here is no screw in the end of them. They are molded on the tuner shaft. That makes them like the tuners on the silver sky. That cements a big NO WAY on my ever purchasing a guitar with them. If I did, I would immediately need to find a set of the Phase IIIs with the buttons like my other guitars. I don't like plastic buttons and I really don't like them molded on to the shaft like that. That is a cheap way of doing things IMHO and I don't want that on my guitars.
The trem models have Phase IIIs with screws. So it's only on the tuning machines that come with stop tails.

FWIW, all of PRS' Core model vintage-style tuning machines have had molded-on buttons, going back to the first McCartys in 1993-4. They started out in that Gibson green, but recently they've been cream colored. So if that's the issue, it's not something new for you.

I have actually been thinking of putting the stock buttons back on it. The buttons is one thing I don't love on my DGT. They had a lot of issues with the early ones stripping out. That is the kind of thing that can happen when you use plastic.
It happens even more easily when you use wood, but why not order or trade for a set of the metal buttons and have exactly what you want?

Last edited:
I come from 35 years playing acoustic guitars. I would say up to last year, 95% of the time an acoustic was what I played. From owning and still owning ones by Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz, Taylors, Pre-war and playing so many others of friends and gig mates over the years…..To me, tone-wood makes a difference obviously in acoustics but I do believe it plays a part on electric guitars to. Tuner weight, size of headstock, bridge, saddle material, fret board material, thickness of the wood, etc….

In my opinion, if you have poorly dried wood, sloppy tolerances, big heavy tuners plus others issues I have hear Paul talk about, it will have an effect. Now if your pickups aren’t the best and you have effect pedals and an amp with high gain, well it probably doesn’t matter, unless it won’t or can’t stay in tune. Ugh! Tune that g string properly, adjust that bridge and nut slot the right way and no death gripe!!!

I can see both sides of the coin, but I’m on the side, in my opinion, that tone-wood AND finish matters on acoustic and electric guitars, and I like lighter tuners

Now let’s drink some coffee and play guitar!

I wonder if the tuning buttons are tuned to sympathetic frequencies. Jarring intervalic jumps between buttons, I'm sure have been avoided for a more harmonious headstock, that coordinates with neck and body grain patterns. I'm sure this is all properly categorized and sorted in the wood vault.
I wonder what the effect is in drop tunings.
Lastly, the pictures have them displayed like "Mickey Mouse ears"...and we must be reminded, the buttons are rarely arranged in this OCD type fashion during normal use.

I have loved PRS for a long time. But, with some of these new things they are pushing me away and want to get a Gibson. It seems they always feel the need to change something. Not everything needs to be changed Paul. You did a great job with the SC knob lay out, leave it (594 SC layout is stupid). The DGT type tuners that you moved to most models are amazing, leave it. The double piece stop tail was an upgrade, that was great. They moved to neck binding, whatever, some people like it, some don't (I don't on PRSs). Gibsons, fine, it is a Gibson. I don't know, does it add to the guitar? I don't know. What's next, SCs with pickguards? The new Myles model and the like is fugly. They should have just copied a tele like they copied a damn Strat (it was a great idea). I like the SS. The headstock is amazing I think. If the new DGTs have these stupid tuners I have to get a used one again quickly.

Darn, are we still talking about the tuner buttons? Some of you guys sound like Paul just spit in the face.
Well shoot...threads only little over a day old...lots of pickers here.

Some just take a bit to mosey on over and state what's in their noggin.

Appearance is a big thing...to the smallest detail for some. Even many profesionals are especially aware of what kind of image they give off...down to that gaudy belt buckle, carving onto the back of their $5k guitar.

I find that I usually like things better in person than I do in images. While I am certainly not offended by the change, I am not excited either. I will wait until I get to try one out before deciding if I like them better. I am more interested in how they feel in my hands than what they look like.

"The new tuning buttons will improve the musicality of the guitars."
".094 of an inch makes a HUGE difference."
"TCI pickups blablabla...".

Once again Mr. Smith is selling snowballs to Eskimoes.

It never ends.
I love it!

:D

I wonder if the tuning buttons are tuned to sympathetic frequencies. Jarring intervalic jumps between buttons, I'm sure have been avoided for a more harmonious headstock, that coordinates with neck and body grain patterns. I'm sure this is all properly categorized and sorted in the wood vault.
I wonder what the effect is in drop tunings.
Lastly, the pictures have them displayed like "Mickey Mouse ears"...and we must be reminded, the buttons are rarely arranged in this OCD type fashion during normal use.

TCT

I find that I usually like things better in person than I do in images. While I am certainly not offended by the change, I am not excited either. I will wait until I get to try one out before deciding if I like them better. I am more interested in how they feel in my hands than what they look like.
I took a new line with relief; I was hoping (also worrying, as I would most likely get my balls chopped off by Mrs Simon) they would do Soapbar DGT, which I would HAVE to buy, yet the changes to the line were cosmetic. Yet, for some reason, people get wild about them. Go figure, it took me two days to like the new tuner design. I think they are slick and fit in nicely

I took a new line with relief; I was hoping (also worrying, as I would most likely get my balls chopped off by Mrs Simon) they would do Soapbar DGT, which I would HAVE to buy, yet the changes to the line were cosmetic. Yet, for some reason, people get wild about them. Go figure, it took me two days to like the new tuner design. I think they are slick and fit in nicely

At least it will come with lockers.

You’ve got to have fun with these things. Paul is always going to be Paul, and that’s a huge thing when the headstock has your name on it. He uses what he wants, just like I would if there was a huge RJP brand of guitars floating around. We all have opinions, but that’s all they are.

letit+go.png

Back