New tuning buttons

I have a much bigger issue with the fact the Custom 24’s are all routed for that freaking goofy shaped / proprietary shaped Paul’s pickup.
I thought the Cu24 still has squabbin 8515. The Cu2408 gets Paul's pickups.

Edit- Just checked the PRS site. 2024 Cu24 still has the squabbin 8515

My 2021 594 HB came with non lockers, and they work fine.
Like others I prefer lockers so I switched them out.
These new buttons are fine with me, no biggie. I'm sure there will be options to change if you are so inclined.

This is clearly just a cost-cutting measure. I wouldn't have cared if not for Paul's disingenuous justification that it improves the tone (lol not this nonsense again) and "musicality". Ugh. Going from beautiful open back gear tuners to closed back, going from aluminum metal tuning buttons to cheap plastic buttons and losing locking tuners on non-trem models is a crazy downgrade for such an already expensive line of guitars. I'm sure they're gonna hear about this for awhile.

I’m an odd duck. My favorite tuner buttons are the ones on my Silver Sky. The size, texture, and feel are right for me.

Paul is certainly a salesman, but nothing in the current PRS line is calling to me.

“The guitars that don’t have tremolos don’t have locks now”:oops:
The lazy string changers are going to revolt!:p:D
Oh that SUCKS. I'm so freakin spoiled.....

I want lockers on all of my prs guitars.

Previous owner of my Steve Fischer Angelus swapped out tuners. What's on it now was supposed to be drop in no mods. I was going to buy a set of original tuners to put on it but the lockers are low ratio which I've grown to really like plus they're auto trim!

I'm leaving them on there.

I think that's been the case for awhile on 594 and McCarty models.

Gotta say I prefer a locking tuner because I'm that lazy string changer to whom you refer. :)

Other than that, the shape of a tuner button is irrelevant to my existence one way or t'other.

I think the important thing (for me) about the 2024 models is that the McCarty now comes with its own pickup, the McCarty LT. While I like the 58/15 LT pickup, and think they sound wonderful on the 594, I'm less crazy about them on the McCarty.

So on the stuff that counts most, good choice, PRS!
What don't you like about the 5815LT in your McCarty? Bridge pickup by chance?

Going from beautiful open back gear tuners to closed back, going from aluminum metal tuning buttons to cheap plastic buttons and losing locking tuners
The tuner buttons changed. The Cu2408 still shows open back PIII and the 594 went vintage non locking years ago. The question is the Paul's guitar, says vintage non locking but shows lockers with the new buttons.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not a fan. I love the Phase III locking tuners: both the form and function. The buttons and the open back, the locking mechanism, everything. The new ones seem inferior in every way to me. While I don't think Paul is being disingenuous, the implication that our current guitars may be having their midrange robbed seems a big much!

I always figured I'd buy a new 24-08 at some point, but maybe I'll end buying one used. And yes, I know those are still locking, but are they open back? Not clear.

The site itself doesn't show the back of the headstock on the guitars, and isn't quite up to date. Oddly the Paul's Core has a photo with the new buttons, locking tuners and a caption that says "non-locking".

Thanks for the confirmation -- still like the old buttons, but that never would sway me really. And kudos to Paul for going back to his original design that (at least) he likes.

But in terms of the 24-08, are these now the identical pickups that are in the Paul's? They used to be different, didn't they? Still with some TCI pixie dust, but not labeled as just TCI.

Ah, if its just the buttons that are changing, who cares. I was told all non-trem models were going non-locking. Which I assume is false.

At least it wasn’t this…

gibson-g-force-tronical@1200x900.jpg

Back