New tuning buttons

All I play and own is PRS at this point. Huge fan of what goes on at the company but this change + the nitro finish on everything isn't appealing to me as someone who spends a lot of time recording heavy music. Hoping we get some modern spec'd guitars in the Core line soon (Custom 24 hardtail please!).
Custom 24 hard tail would be a dream! I have been looking for a decently priced used one for a long time in solid black and no cigar.

I have this lovely vintage bridge I am looking to sell.
It is a custom shop 1 of a kind model completed in 1883,
and has been lovingly cared for by its original owners.
It has 2 beautiful masonry towers with gothic arches,
and is currently located between Brooklyn and Manhattan.
Buyer must pay disassembly and shipping.
Price is negotiable.
(Buildings in background not included. Water not included.)

4959382721_b0770fcb09_z.jpg

Last edited:
What makes you think they'd ultimately phase out a screw-held button?
The McLaughlin was a very limited run guitar. I believe that is why the picture on the website of that guitar shows the screws. They are probably not making anymore of those models. All of the pictures on the website show the tuners with molded buttons, no screws, so that says that is what they are going to be. They probably had some leftover buttons from the McLaughlin and NF-53 launches and they are using those up now. That is why we see some guitars with the bolt on version like the one that was posted in this thread. I am sure those will go away when they run out of the bolt on buttons and they will be using the molded button version going forward.

This isn't the first time they have made a change that phased in as they used up the old parts. Look up when they started using the lampshade knobs. Those were phased in and only existed on some models until they used up the last of the old knobs.

Like mentioned a bit ago, it's Paul's gig. Entirely. But he's not stupid either. If he sees a downturn in sales because of it, he'll no doubt correct it in short order.
Not that it matters to me really, I'm running out of room for more guitars, my wife said so...I don't need to taste the end of the bullwhip. Or in her case, the last few centimeters of the cutting edge of her katana blade: "cho kisaki" should any of you care.:D
I don't really buy into the tone thing, but I can see a reduction in head dive if the weight change is significant enough to arrest what (if any) there is. That is one of the reasons I own and play PRS guitars, weight and balance during playing. Maybe it's an "old pilot" thing, I dunno. My SE custom and HBII have different buttons than my S2, and I barely notice any difference in them. TBH, I don't really look seriously at the construction and style of the tuners anyway. If my name was Carlos or Mark (or whoever) maybe I would be more particular and critical of them. But it's not so I just plod along with what I have.

Didn't read the whole thread, but one thing that struck me was that Paul mentioned that going to these lighter buttons improved the balance of the guitar. But one of my main criticisms of my Custom 24 is that playing sitting down, the guitar is weightier towards the bridge, which makes it a challenge to keep in a comfortable, consistent playing position. Making the buttons even lighter will make this problem worse, not better.

All in all though, this seems a pretty minor change to me. People will get used to looking at the new buttons pretty quickly, and for most models, these are the last thing you're going to notice. I'm skeptical that this change is at all due to tone considerations.

Didn't read the whole thread, but one thing that struck me was that Paul mentioned that going to these lighter buttons improved the balance of the guitar. But one of my main criticisms of my Custom 24 is that playing sitting down, the guitar is weightier towards the bridge, which makes it a challenge to keep in a comfortable, consistent playing position. Making the buttons even lighter will make this problem worse, not better.

All in all though, this seems a pretty minor change to me. People will get used to looking at the new buttons pretty quickly, and for most models, these are the last thing you're going to notice. I'm skeptical that this change is at all due to tone considerations.
Of course it is not.

Not sure about the buttons but tuners can definitely change the tone.

This one time at band camp... Ok it was actually in my band room, I decided to put phase IIs on one of my CEs that had wings. Swapped them over, tuned up and started jamming. My CE suddenly sounded like it was castrated!

I kept playing for a bit thinking this weak sound was a figment of my imagination. After a little while I put the wingers back on and that meaty tone that I loved was back. One reason that I like the winged tuners so much. Besides that, they're the OG and look cool AF.

Not sure about the buttons but tuners can definitely change the tone.

This one time at band camp... Ok it was actually in my band room, I decided to put phase IIs on one of my CEs that had wings. Swapped them over, tuned up and started jamming. My CE suddenly sounded like it was castrated!

I kept playing for a bit thinking this weak sound was a figment of my imagination. After a little while I put the wingers back on and that meaty tone that I loved was back. One reason that I like the winged tuners so much. Besides that, they're the OG and look cool AF.
The power of the wings compels us.

Damn right! It compelled them (PRS corp) to chop the wings off the owls to make those tuners!! There is a reason why we never saw a disclaimer to the effect of "No birds were harmed in the making of these winged tuners"!!!

Not a fan of the wingers and not a believer in the weight relief explanation. Smells like cost cutting to me, and while I’m at it not a fan of non-locking tuners on non trem guitars. Almost bought a McCarty Single cut at a local shop recently and couldn’t bring myself to spend the $$ knowing that I would have to swap-out the tuners. Hate to say, but Paul has left the path of the pursuit of tone…smells like cost cutting…

Anybody notice that the phase 3 tuners are out of stock?

I’m not a fan on of a non replaceable button. I like that about the phase 1-3 can have the buttons altered. Tone Ninja makes buttons for half the cost of PRS stock. I much prefer that so I can mod the look I want. I whole heartedly agree that a brass shaft resonates better. I made the switch on my Paul’s SE and the guitar rings more now. Weight matters more to me for neck diving purposes. Ideally as light as possible!

Anybody notice that the phase 3 tuners are out of stock?

I’m not a fan on of a non replaceable button. I like that about the phase 1-3 can have the buttons altered. Tone Ninja makes buttons for half the cost of PRS stock. I much prefer that so I can mod the look I want. I whole heartedly agree that a brass shaft resonates better. I made the switch on my Paul’s SE and the guitar rings more now. Weight matters more to me for neck diving purposes. Ideally as light as possible!
Just tried picking up a set yesterday... My local place has nickel and gold; out of hybrids, though.

Not too crazy about the look of the new ones, but it’s not a deal breaker for me either. I’ve really never been a big fan of any of the locking tuners on PRS guitars. I really never had any need for them on a fixed bridge guitar.

I wonder how they perform vs the older ones. All I hear is people saying how they feel too "cheap" and "toy-like"

Back