New tuners for my SE

sadmoodyfrazier

These are Vanson locking. Pretty good "cheap" tuners. It's quite a 100% compatible swap. The screw holes are not perfectly alligned but it was pretty easy to screw the thing. They are also non 100% perfectly alligned but you have to be totally insane like me to notice it. Also I like more the tiny pegs because I think they are more elegant than the big chunky ones. Anyway without burning in and stretching the strings the tuning is almost frozen.
119043643_2723971127849654_8393503505880781326_n.jpg

119044372_2723971084516325_4554146503926606493_n.jpg

That came out nice.

I've added the Grover Mini-Rotomatics on 3 SE's including an acoustic. All were 100% plug and play, all holes lined up perfectly and I've never had any issues with them.

That came out nice.

I've added the Grover Mini-Rotomatics on 3 SE's including an acoustic. All were 100% plug and play, all holes lined up perfectly and I've never had any issues with them.
Nope... I have had them refunded. I couldn't stand that not lining up machine heads. They were just horrible. Now I've placed original ones.

No, they were not the top locking ones. Id have to look up the exact part numbers, I think they were 406C but dont quote me, perfect drop in replacements on an SE EG, 245, and an SE Al15 acoustic.

No, they were not the top locking ones. Id have to look up the exact part numbers, I think they were 406C but dont quote me, perfect drop in replacements on an SE EG, 245, and an SE Al15 acoustic.
Please tell me. I'm going slightly mad to find something suitable for my SE.

All that said, you could just the the SE locking tuners directly from PRS:

https://us.prsaccessories.com/colle...-se-locking-tuners-set?variant=32118533128285
I would like to not to place the same machines. I mean... they are pretty cheap and looking to the price of the PRS SE Locking they are way overpriced if they are like the ones I have on my guitar. Also I would like to place on mine Schallers instead of Grovers just to have european machine heads and not overseas. Why? I don't know. But it would be sweet to.

The 406C's are definitely smoother and more precise than the standard SE tuners...no questions asked.

My hunch is that the Vanson tuners are made by Jin Ho in Korea. I say this because their part numbers are oddly similar to Jin Ho part numbers (Vanson =V07SP, Jin Ho = JN07SP) and the drawings are identical (first one is Vanson, second is Jin Ho) and Jin Ho makes tuners for many private labels. Now, according to John Mann's website, the SE tuners are made by Jin Ho so I would have expected them to line up, although it's entirely possible PRS spec'd a different mounting pattern, or Jin Ho has several patterns, or the Vansons are just machined differently. Or I guess PRS could have changed suppliers at some point. Notice that the drawings below tell you the "envelope dimensions" of the part, but they don't actually specify exactly where the screw hole is relative to the post. Most higher end tuning machine drawings either would show 7.8mm X, 7.8mm Y from the peg center, or show 11mm at 45 degrees. From the Vanson/Jin Ho drawings, there's really no way to tell if the screw hole would line up, or where it is relative to peg center.

Thanks for sharing this. I was considering buying private label Jin Ho locking tuners and would also have been disappointed if they didn't line up properly.

51uTf5EHtpL._AC_.jpg
j07splk.gif

My hunch is that the Vanson tuners are made by Jin Ho in Korea. I say this because their part numbers are oddly similar to Jin Ho part numbers (Vanson =V07SP, Jin Ho = JN07SP) and the drawings are identical (first one is Vanson, second is Jin Ho) and Jin Ho makes tuners for many private labels. Now, according to John Mann's website, the SE tuners are made by Jin Ho so I would have expected them to line up, although it's entirely possible PRS spec'd a different mounting pattern, or Jin Ho has several patterns, or the Vansons are just machined differently. Or I guess PRS could have changed suppliers at some point. Notice that the drawings below tell you the "envelope dimensions" of the part, but they don't actually specify exactly where the screw hole is relative to the post. Most higher end tuning machine drawings either would show 7.8mm X, 7.8mm Y from the peg center, or show 11mm at 45 degrees. From the Vanson/Jin Ho drawings, there's really no way to tell if the screw hole would line up, or where it is relative to peg center.

Thanks for sharing this. I was considering buying private label Jin Ho locking tuners and would also have been disappointed if they didn't line up properly.

51uTf5EHtpL._AC_.jpg
j07splk.gif
They don't line up and the tuning machines are horribly rotated. I'm happy if I helped you.

So happy to hear that. Do you have an idea about where these are made?

No clue...to be honest these are the SE guitars so realistically none of the guitar us US built so the question of where the tuners were built did not even really cross my mind. I was mostly worried about the fit which was perfect. I hate seeing a head stock with extra holes drilled into it, even little holes.

Well, this thread inspired me to order some Grover 406Cs for my SE Hollowbody. I figure I'm upgrading the pickups and electronics, might as well do the tuners as well.

Back