New tuners for my SE

For the record, I ordered a set of Jin Ho tuners with plastic buttons since that’s who John Mann says manufactures of SE tuners. The buttons of the JH didn’t fit the SE.

I measured the SE HB button shaft and it’s 4mm diameter with 3.5mm across the flats. That is apparently the same as Gotoh. I haven’t yet confirmed with parts - if Gotoh fits I’d love to get the Phase III buttons so I haven’t bought Gotoh buttons to confirm yet.

I will tell everyone when I'll have my Grovers. If they will fit perfect... that is the way to go and bury the hatchet.

I was messing around with the Grovers and the SE stock tuners. TL;DR - they're almost exactly the same and are a direct swap. The differences are incredibly minor (small cosmetics, the length of a screw, and of course, the locking mechanism).

Look at the marks on the hidden underside (the Grover is the 5.B and PRS is 6.C) and then there's the H with the small C in its crotch, which I would assume is a manufacturer's logo/mark:
ZLDimVf.jpg

The SE buttons fit on the Grovers like they were meant to go together. Even the screws that hold the buttons on are the same diameter and thread pitch, though the SE screw is slightly longer to accommodate the beefier button.
A9zP3bf.jpg

They drop in and with the SE button are almost indistinguishable. Also, the headstock face nuts that screw down from the front are both 10mm, same length, same thread pitch, same everything. I put the Grover bolt on the PRS tuner, took it apart, looked away, and came back unable to tell which was which.
OXxzoH9.jpg

I know PRS is in the business of selling things to make money, such as SE locking tuners, and I feel bad in a way to compare these so directly. Perhaps the SE locking tuners are different in other ways, like the unplated brass shaft.

I was messing around with the Grovers and the SE stock tuners. TL;DR - they're almost exactly the same and are a direct swap. The differences are incredibly minor (small cosmetics, the length of a screw, and of course, the locking mechanism).

Look at the marks on the hidden underside (the Grover is the 5.B and PRS is 6.C) and then there's the H with the small C in its crotch, which I would assume is a manufacturer's logo/mark:
ZLDimVf.jpg

The SE buttons fit on the Grovers like they were meant to go together. Even the screws that hold the buttons on are the same diameter and thread pitch, though the SE screw is slightly longer to accommodate the beefier button.
A9zP3bf.jpg

They drop in and with the SE button are almost indistinguishable. Also, the headstock face nuts that screw down from the front are both 10mm, same length, same thread pitch, same everything. I put the Grover bolt on the PRS tuner, took it apart, looked away, and came back unable to tell which was which.
OXxzoH9.jpg

I know PRS is in the business of selling things to make money, such as SE locking tuners, and I feel bad in a way to compare these so directly. Perhaps the SE locking tuners are different in other ways, like the unplated brass shaft.
Yes, they are pretty much the same tuning machines. BUT I've found the Grovers more precise, more accurate and smooth turning. PRS SE instead were very floppy turning and sometimes a little stepping. This is the reason why I didn't consider to buy locking SE tuners.

I ended up taking the Grovers off. I'm going to send them back and get the SE Locking tuners instead. I can't seem to put my finger on what it was about them that I didn't like... it was more like, these aren't really any better than stock aside from being locking, and that mechanism is a little strange.

I ended up taking the Grovers off. I'm going to send them back and get the SE Locking tuners instead. I can't seem to put my finger on what it was about them that I didn't like... it was more like, these aren't really any better than stock aside from being locking, and that mechanism is a little strange.
Mine are doing good. My tuning is almost frozen.

I've been looking at tuners so much, and seeing the Phase III tuners, they look like precision machined jewels compared to other brands.

Tuners_Phase_III_101659--H-002_bass_side_b_1_1000x.jpg
Would these not fit into an SE? Asking for a friend who just happened to pick up a used SE 245...

I have hipshot open gear locking tuners on another guitar, which have been great, and found a 3x3 set for under $60. Wouldn't you know it? Same manufacturing marks as the SE and Grovers. SE buttons fit perfectly.

6nCNT3m.jpg
These ones has the straight 90 degrees hole. I didn't want to plug the existing holes. Anyway the Grovers are doing very very well. My tuning is almost frozen.

These ones has the straight 90 degrees hole. I didn't want to plug the existing holes. Anyway the Grovers are doing very very well. My tuning is almost frozen.

I've seen hipshots before that have the offset mounting hole for the open gear but now I cant find them, only the closed with the offset mounting hole. As said you can always use the plate. I'll dig up a couple pics. I love the hipshots. Plus the buttons are interchangeable with the stock SE if you wanted or any of the many options available.

Here's a project that they were a luxury upgrade, the guitar has a floyd with locking nut. I had a spare set in the parts box and figured why not? Any time saved stringing up a floyd is worth it and they look so damn cool! I prefer the clean look without the plate since the plates don't hide the old mounting holes on a PRS anyhow (disappointing). I decided to keep the hipshot buttons for now but may put the SE ones on or another from hipshot.

t20201114_2055312e244b796dd0a11b.jpg

t20201114_2146289303dbcfa34253f9.jpg

t20201114_22070884dcc3314ff2d18a.jpg

t20201116_1336042c502589ee4c2484.jpg

OMG... that mounting plates are truly horrible, specially on the asymmetrical PRS headstock. Maybe on a Gibson or a Fender. On that headstock is a punch on an eye. Anyway I'm good with my Grovers. I tuned up my guitar last time a month ago, I think.

Lol I don't think the plates are that bad but agree it looks better without. All the wording PRS puts on the back of the headstock makes it a little busy, but I may have used them anyhow if they covered the old mouting holes. The plates do work really well on a fender with inline 6. Without the plates they look really clean and killer with the open gears (especially from the player position) plus super smooth and precise. Grovers are cool though because they line up and drop in.

I did order the mann upgrade service for the old tuners since they are just sitting around in the parts bin. I'll report back once i install them on another guitar.

Here's a project that they were a luxury upgrade, the guitar has a floyd with locking nut. I had a spare set in the parts box and figured why not? Any time saved stringing up a floyd is worth it and they look so damn cool! I prefer the clean look without the plate since the plates don't hide the old mounting holes on a PRS anyhow (disappointing). I decided to keep the hipshot buttons for now but may put the SE ones on or another from hipshot.

t20201114_22070884dcc3314ff2d18a.jpg

t20201116_1336042c502589ee4c2484.jpg
Did you just tighten them down a bunch from the front so you didn't have to use screws on the back?

Did you just tighten them down a bunch from the front so you didn't have to use screws on the back?

I didn't tighten more than I would normally, ok maybe a turn past snug to secure. The wood didn't indent f that says anything. An old trick in the sperzel world, which used to my go to in another guitar life, was to remove the mounting pin underneath. Same concept. I'd have to try and really put pressure on them to move, I haven't tried with a string on there, but I assume the tension makes them even more secure. The truth is with a locking floyd nut its not a huge concern of mine, and if it was I wouldn't hesitate to put screws in to maintain the clean look. Its an SE (hell guitar), experiment and have fun! Hipshots are 110% worth it plate, screw, or not

Would these not fit into an SE? Asking for a friend who just happened to pick up a used SE 245...
Phase III will not work on an SE 245. The existing peg holes on the SE 245 will be too big for the Phase III tuners to seat properly.

Phase III will not work on an SE 245. The existing peg holes on the SE 245 will be too big for the Phase III tuners to seat properly.
Are you sure about that? I put a set of Phase III tuners on my SE Bernie and recall having to enlarge the holes. Been a long time, though. Also put a set on an SE One

Back