New to PRS Question

Good Day all,

I am looking to purchase my first PRS soon and came across one today however the sales staff at the store were less than helpful today as I was try one I really enjoyed. I should have grabbed some pictures but oh well.

By the serial number it seems to be a 2010 model that is still new in the store but I am curious as to what the specs are. It looks to be a Custom 24 but it has a "Les Paul" style three way switch and coil tap capability. It also has bird outlines vice full birds. All the other 2010 I have seen online seem to have either a five way blade or the rotary style switch.

the dude at the store told me that the pickups were SD 59's but since they were not branded Seymour Duncan and that seemed strange on a stock PRS I was sceptical.

I emailed customer service with the serial number and I am hopeful they can provide full specs.

I wish I had gotten pictures but any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated as to the specs, pickups, etc.

though I can't provide any beneficial help, I am curious to see how PRS responds to your query. Please post back when you learn more.

Seymour Duncan pups don't always have branding on the covers or pup itself. They would have it on the metal plate underneath but...

On a new PRS? Either the guy is clueless or it's a used PRS that's been modded.

Seymour Duncan pups don't always have branding on the covers or pup itself. They would have it on the metal plate underneath but...

On a new PRS? Either the guy is clueless or it's a used PRS that's been modded.

It's definitely new...they are a chain that does not sell used gear. Based on ther answers, I am going with clueless.

First PRS Congrats! Once you play it you will never go back to another guitar brand. I remember when i got my first PRS. I was 12 years old and i got my quilt maple top model.

I agree that the sales staff is clueless.
A three way blade switch on a Custom 24 ought to be a SE series as the USA made Custom 24 would have a 5 position blade switch (unless it is an older 5 position rotary switch.)
PRS does not use Duncan pickups. Period. PRS USA pickups are made by PRS in the USA and the overseas made PRS pickups are made exclusively for PRS SE and S2 guitars and are made strictly to PRS specs.
If you click on the tab up there ^ which says products, navigate to the particular guitar you are interested in and then on the little thing that says SPECS when you are looking at the individual guitar model page which you are interested in, you will see the specs there.

The specs at the to really only seem to be for current models, not those from a few years ago, unless I am missing something. As I said the serial number dates it as made in 2010.

I found this pic on line and it basically shows the guitar I played only in a different colour and this one has a more figured top.

image-16.jpg

Okay - so you're looking at a CU24 with McCarty switching instead of the 5-way rotary. I believe the pups from that year would be the VB/HFS combination.

Okay - so you're looking at a CU24 with McCarty switching instead of the 5-way rotary. I believe the pups from that year would be the VB/HFS combination.

Okay. I really had not seen that style switch with the coil tap option anywhere on the web. On a custom 24. Is it common or is it a customized add on for a custom 24?

Okay. I really had not seen that style switch with the coil tap option anywhere on the web. On a custom 24. Is it common or is it a customized add on for a custom 24?
Pretty common from that time frame. The sounds vary somewhat vs. the 5-way rotary selector format.

though I can't provide any beneficial help, I am curious to see how PRS responds to your query. Please post back when you learn more.

After sending the email last night, customer service contacted me first thing this morning with the following. Very quick and profession job!

"Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. This appears to be a 2010 Custom 24, figured maple top, mahogany neck with a regular carve, East Indian rosewood fretboard, McCarty Sunburst finish with HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups and the 3-way toggle with push/pull was an available option."

I recently purchased a for sure "New" core model custom 24 with the rotary switch. It's a 2009 model.

If you look at it today, you will see the 3 way toggle switch. PRS sells this on their web store. It also come with a push pull option on the tone control. It functions just like a Les Paul in the down position. In the up position, same function, only single coil functions. I just didn't like the rotary switch and apparently other didn't either because PRS discontinued it in their C24 line of Core models.

PRS does not use Duncan pickups. Period. PRS USA pickups are made by PRS in the USA...

To nitpick: the P90s are actually customized Duncans. And the Swamp Ash Special had a Duncan Vintage Rails in the middle position. While the EG used 3 Duncan singlecoils, and the EG II sported two or three Fralin "Domino" hum-cancelling single-coils.

But all humbuckers used are home grown.

To nitpick: the P90s are actually customized Duncans. And the Swamp Ash Special had a Duncan Vintage Rails in the middle position. While the EG used 3 Duncan singlecoils, and the EG II sported two or three Fralin "Domino" hum-cancelling single-coils.
But all humbuckers used are home grown.

Thought that one was a Fralin too?

What year was this? My Swamp Ash Studio has 57/08's.

Back