New to PRS...but not guitars

jbear

Hey All,
I love guitars! I love playing, collecting, modding, building (assembling more accurately), and I have waaaay more guitars than chops. I'm working on that. Anyway...
Technically I'm not "new" to PRS, as I've had a couple of SE's over the years. I am looking at adding one of the non-SE's now. Just for some background...I've got several Les Pauls and love 'em. Same for GS's, Fender RF Esprits, Strats, Teles, 335's, Ibanez, and some assorted odd-balls. I'm not looking for "better;" I'm looking for something different. Just saying that because I know that lovers of various brands sometime can be "nationalistic" about those brands. I know PRS makes good stuff, but I don't know the nuance. I'm looking for your collective insight as to which you think I might dig. I totally get it...I need to try them through my rig with my hands, but...a starting point will be awesome...and appreciated!
Me: I play fusion, non-traditional blues, straight jazz, and ever so occasionally...I do the rock. My current stylistic and tonal heros...Robben Ford, Scott Henderson, Mike Landau, Jimmy Herring, Jeff Beck (BBB/Wired/T&B era),David Gilmour, Wayne Krantz, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Khan, Alex Machacek, Derek Trucks, Lowell George, and Duane Allman. I'm playing all sorts of guitar through...Fender 65 DRRI, Ceriatone OT Special, Suhr Badger 18, Carr Hammerhead II. Not a big all-at-once pedal guy. But I do use these: Sonic Fusion or Barber Small Fry for OD. Maxon SD9 or El Raton if dist . is needed. Boss CE-2 Chorus. DD6 Delay, HOF Reverb...and the occassional wah. So...I'm all over the map as you can see (if you've had the patience to read this far).
My budget is not unlimited (I want to keep it used and around $1500+/-), but I did just sell a Les Paul, so I've got some play. My casual glances around the web are leading me toward trying:
1-CU24
2-Older CE 24
3-Newer CE 24 and changing the bridge.*I've installed Callaham bridges on Strats and Fabers on a 335...they made significant differences.
4-CU22
Okay...whatchoo think? And...most grateful in advance!

Hey All,
I love guitars! I love playing, collecting, modding, building (assembling more accurately), and I have waaaay more guitars than chops. I'm working on that. Anyway...
Technically I'm not "new" to PRS, as I've had a couple of SE's over the years. I am looking at adding one of the non-SE's now. Just for some background...I've got several Les Pauls and love 'em. Same for GS's, Fender RF Esprits, Strats, Teles, 335's, Ibanez, and some assorted odd-balls. I'm not looking for "better;" I'm looking for something different. Just saying that because I know that lovers of various brands sometime can be "nationalistic" about those brands. I know PRS makes good stuff, but I don't know the nuance. I'm looking for your collective insight as to which you think I might dig. I totally get it...I need to try them through my rig with my hands, but...a starting point will be awesome...and appreciated!
Me: I play fusion, non-traditional blues, straight jazz, and ever so occasionally...I do the rock. My current stylistic and tonal heros...Robben Ford, Scott Henderson, Mike Landau, Jimmy Herring, Jeff Beck (BBB/Wired/T&B era),David Gilmour, Wayne Krantz, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Metheny, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Khan, Alex Machacek, Derek Trucks, Lowell George, and Duane Allman. I'm playing all sorts of guitar through...Fender 65 DRRI, Ceriatone OT Special, Suhr Badger 18, Carr Hammerhead II. Not a big all-at-once pedal guy. But I do use these: Sonic Fusion or Barber Small Fry for OD. Maxon SD9 or El Raton if dist . is needed. Boss CE-2 Chorus. DD6 Delay, HOF Reverb...and the occassional wah. So...I'm all over the map as you can see (if you've had the patience to read this far).
My budget is not unlimited (I want to keep it used and around $1500+/-), but I did just sell a Les Paul, so I've got some play. My casual glances around the web are leading me toward trying:
1-CU24
2-Older CE 24
3-Newer CE 24 and changing the bridge.*I've installed Callaham bridges on Strats and Fabers on a 335...they made significant differences.
4-CU22

The best option for you imo is a CU22 or 24 with 85/15 pickups. The most versatile in the game, perfect for the type of stuff your playing. Or possibly a 24 with a 408 configuration, you can have a single coil sound combined with a humbucker or a just a single or humbucker.

Appreciated. I take it that you feel that the 85/15's can do the vintage voice well? I should add...I'm a mix of pick and hybrid...if it matters. I have a 335 that sounds amazing when I pick, but not when I use my fingers. Another one with different PUPs sounds killer no matter what. Still working that out. Heights and pole-pieces haven't done it yet. I think the 408 thing is a bit out of my price range????? I'm cool with this "new" guitar being great at something(s) and not other things.

I think you’re on the right track with your 24-fret choices. I would say decide if you like maple or hog necks more, and there you go.

Gotta say...I don't really have a preference there. I do prefer rosewood and ebony boards to maple, but I never say never when it comes to guitars.

I am finding myself drawn to these CE24's for some reason. Anyone care to share they're take on those? I'm not a fan of those MIK bridges, but I could easily swap that on a newer one...or...the older 90's look pretty tempting...don't know anything about the PUP's in those. Do you guys?
My favorite PUPs (for reference)
SD59's in Esprits
Peter Florence VooDoos
Super58's and SD Seth's in semis
A bunch of random boutique stuff
Too many single coils to name...but if you like Robben Ford...Onamac Windery makes THE best Ford set for Tele that I've ever played (I put them in 3 Teles).
As you can probably figure out...I'm a vintage/low output kinda player.
Hope I'm not over-info-ing you guys.

If you’re lookin’ at CE24’s.... I’d personally recommend one of the alder ones, they’re rad. Anything up until the end of 94.

I have a 97 ce24 that's modded to hell and back. It is a nice guitar and all but I seem to reach for it a lot. It just feels good to play it.

It does have 408 style switching. Push pulls on both vol and tone pots.

Older CEs are really hard to beat 22 or 24 frets.

I'm going to have to go with an older CE24. I'd suggest an older McCarty or DGT as well at the price point you're shopping in.

The HFS bridge and Vintage Bass pickups with the 5 way rotary are great IMO in this guitar. Both of mine are mahogany backed, maple tops, and maple necks. Very versatile and great instruments.

The benefit of the older one is that you are going to save money initially leaving you with room for pickup changes and mods. The plus is that the foundation will be solid. Great guitars and very under rated.

Hey All,
1-CU24
2-Older CE 24
4-CU22

My PRS recommendations have been pretty consistent lately.
McCarty 594 which will feel right at home (or a little better) if you are already comfortable with Les Pauls.
Custom 24 or Custom 24-08 (2015 or newer) for something a little different and very versatile.

I had a ‘91 CU24, and also a recent one (2015). I like the recent one more. The pickups are better, and the guitar seems more refined in lots of ways.

It’s all personal preference. Try a bunch.

If you like low output, a McCarty 594 would possibly get you fusion plus vintage. 58/15lt humbucker are fabulous.

What neck profile do you prefer?

I appreciate all of the insight!
I tend to like chunky neck profiles, but...I'm fairly adaptable.

Is there a list somewhere of which older model/years have which PUPs?

I appreciate all of the insight!
I tend to like chunky neck profiles, but...I'm fairly adaptable.

CE and Custom 24’s most commonly show up with slimmer neck carves, the 22’s more often with the thicker ones. Of course that’s not always the case but, more often than not. You kinda have to look out for “regular” profile necks or oddities that’ll have what used to be called “wide fat”.

I had a ‘91 CU24, and also a recent one (2015). I like the recent one more. The pickups are better, and the guitar seems more refined in lots of ways.

It’s all personal preference. Try a bunch.
Which of course begs the question of guitarists lauding companies whose best instruments are behind them, rather than in front. But that’s a different topic...

It dosen't matter what you start with because more will soon follow as all your other guitars run for cover :)

I would have to say the 594 is perhaps the best 'Vintage' guitar with PRS's build quality and some modern features like coil splitting and locking tuners. It does get a LOT of comparisons to the Les Paul - not just the SC either and would be the PRS guitar to replace your LP. Its more versatile than most Gibson's due to the coil splitting option. The Custom 24 has its own voice and more modern - certainly the 85/15's are - and as others have said, it is very versatile too. I feel the Custom 22 is more of a modern LP in a lot of ways with a few more options and lighter weight - its perhaps more of a cross between the Custom 24 and a LP as you get all the options of a CU24, same scale length, same 5-way, neck, body but the 22 frets and similar neck PU position which changes the tone.

The Custom 24 is the traditional PRS and its worth getting - just for the 'owl' :D

Back