New to forum, looking for advice on prs purchase

Mesaman

Hey everyone! Just joined forum. I've wanted a prs for at least fifteen years now. I've finally got the means to pick one up. I hope to come home with one at this years experience. This will also be my first time to the experience, which is sad since I live so close to the factory. I think I would either like a dgt or a custom 24, having hard time deciding. What is everyone's thoughts on those two models? Thanks

DGT is a tone machine. For my money, the neck is about perfect. That said, it does have bigger frets and comes stock with 11s. That said, it plays very smoothly.

I also have a CU24, but with the reissue T&Bs, not the 59/09s they come with now. I never bonded with those in the CU24. Not gospel, just my observation. Lots of guys love them.

The real question is what kinds of tones do you like in a guitar?

The DGT is a more vintage sounding axe, and the CU24 more modern.

For what it's worth, in contrast to Alan, I never bonded with the original T&Bs on the Customs I owned back in the day, and much prefer the 59/09s or 57/08s. The PRS website says that the CU24 is available with a choice of pickups, not just one as implied in the previous post.

Internet advice on what to buy is never all that useful without some context, so here's mine:

My PRSes are used for recording tracks for TV ads composed in a wide variety of styles. While I sometimes play high gain stuff as needed for a track, I prefer moderate gain and more vintage sounding tones. I get my overdrive from the amp, as opposed to pedals. My amp is a PRS HX/DA.

For my purposes, the DGT would be a more useful guitar, however, everyone has different needs and preferences. I'd say play both and see.

What a great search to be having :) can't wait to see the result
Both are great guitars and you can't go wrong with either I am more in the 22 fret camp just like how they hang on me better.

Between the two, I'd lean towards the DGT, since I was a big fan of the McCarty, on which the DGT was based. I do like Customs, but I'm a 22 fretter as well (my only PRS at the moment is a Custom 22 Soapbar).

FWIW - I've only test-driven the CU24 with 59/09s. What I replaced was the VB/HFS. What I missed with that set was the old spanky in-between PRS sound that I remembered from the early days. The T&Bs have that. I never found it w/the VB/HFS.

Les nailed what I missed (but meant to say) about the DGT - it's more of a vintage sound than the CU24.

My take on the Custom 24 and DGT:

If the Custom 24 is what you bring to your modern rock/metal gig, the DGT would be what you'd bring for a jazz/blues gig.

:cheers:

Thanks everyone. I'm one of those guys that can't make up his mind which style to play. I dabble in different styles, not any good but I try!

the DGT would be what you'd bring for a jazz/blues gig.

Unless you're David Grissom, who brings the DGT to alt. rock, rock, country, blues, and whatever-the-heck-else-he-does-which-I-don't-know-what-that-is gigs.

Both are great guitars, so it's a win win scenario, 22 vs 24 fret, but my preference would be the DGT. One of the best guitars in the business, versatile, feels and sounds great to play, with great pickups and a great neck.

I could never bond with the HFS. Didn't care for rotary pup selector either. When the 2011s came out with 5909s and blade I was excited. Now that I have had it a while I really like 24 frets too. The cu24 w/5909s is very hard to beat for heavy to classic rock. The only change I would welcome is to be able to split pups by themselves.

Absolutely love my DGT. However, you can't go wrong with either. Maybe head up to the local guitar store and fiddle around with a few 22 fret guitars and then fiddle with some 24 fret guitars and see if tyou have a preference for either. That way, come Experience you should be confident in your decision.

Can I ask a favor though? Be sure to buy your guitar the Experience when I am not around else I may end up buying one myself!

I own a dgt but want to add a cu24as well.

DGT is very vesatile. I even play metal with it lol

I think you win with either. My thoughts are echoes of what Les said. DGT is more vintage, Custom 24 is more modern. Though I don't want to limit you or the axes. This is just how I think of them.

There's a guy on YouTube rocking pretty hard with a Sgt and a mesa mark v. I think that guitar is pretty versatile. I just like how huge it sounds. Watching grisson on YouTube makes me want to pick up a prs amp too!

There's a guy on YouTube rocking pretty hard with a Sgt and a mesa mark v. I think that guitar is pretty versatile. I just like how huge it sounds. Watching grisson on YouTube makes me want to pick up a prs amp too!

I think I know the guy you are talking about, he shreds. Great combo.

Back