Looking for advice.

RustyDP

Hi everyone, I want to hear some of your thoughts on what guitar do you think has the closest sound to an SG in the PRS S2 and SE range.
I really want to start playing some Greta van fleet but with an PRS.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't own any of the S2 line but I have a Starla from back when they put the stop tail bridge on them for a short while. That guitar is all mahogany like an SG. It has a really good SG type tone to it. It just sounds like rock-n-roll with some drive. Comparing the Starla construction to the S2 line, I would probably look at these;

S2 Standard 22
S2 McCarty 594 Thinline

Last edited:
I don't own any of the S2 line but I have a Starla from back when they put the stop tail bridge on them for a short while. That guitar is all mahogany like an SG. It has a really good SG type tone to it. It just sounds like rock-n-roll with some drive. Comparing the Starla construction to the S2 line, I would probably look at these;

S2 Standard 22
S2 McCarty 294 Thinline
The very Rare 294 Thinline. I even put very in front of rare!

I was thinking S2 Standard 24. There's a guy on Youtube that loved SGs, and that's what he went with. It does have the trem though. You could also go SE Standard 24-08 as well. However, you get the 85/15S pickups there, so they wouldn't naturally have that vintage sound. Pickup swaps though!

McCarty 594 Thinline. Pickups, frets, scale, bridge & stop tailpiece, selector switch location, 4-control arrangement… it’s as SG as a PRS has ever been.
And all hog!

The only thing that MAY not be exactly what you want is the pickups. On my '22 594 McCarty the not LT version of the pups aren't great but there are lots of fantastic alternatives. A Wolfetone Marshallhead A2 I put in my SE245 last week is awesome.

Last edited:
Back