New Schaller S-Locks

Never had any issues with the old Schallers. Tightened the strap nut with a wrench and it remained snug. As for the rattle, i put a dab of silicone grease at the bottom of the "U" and bingo, noise reduced. Also I should add that I don't move around too much while playing.

What’s your major?
Paying for college, not attending. Besides, they were at IU Bloomington...state school...not like it was Harvard. I wasn’t handling the Santana doubleneck for feck-sake!

Like the new design and its silent. Downside is I always now hear the noise on the straps I have with old locks whereas before I did not point any attention to it.

The downfall of the new locks is the screw. Its way wider than the older screws (also lenght closer to the short than long lenght). You have to really consider when installing these that do you want to widen the strap screwhole.

I have a set of the new style Schallers on the way in...should be here on Thursday, and I will report back.

Like the new design and its silent. Downside is I always now hear the noise on the straps I have with old locks whereas before I did not point any attention to it.

The downfall of the new locks is the screw. Its way wider than the older screws (also lenght closer to the short than long lenght). You have to really consider when installing these that do you want to widen the strap screwhole.

Will the new version not work with the old screw?

Way wider is a bit of a strong statement. You could jam a couple toothpicks in and switch back to the stock PRS buttons.

Way wider is a bit of a strong statement. You could jam a couple toothpicks in and switch back to the stock PRS buttons.

Well the statement comes from personal experience with the product. I've installed them on 3 of my guitars so far. The fact is the new S-Locks screw is much thicker than the old Schaller lock screws (or original screws of any of these 3 guitars). On my LTD EC-1000 I chipped even a little paint because of the thickness when installing it. I don't mind it because it was covered by the button itself and it isn't that expensive guitar. But on pricier guitars I'm hesitant to install them in future.

Anyone have experience with the new design? I really don't want to make bigger holes on my guitar...I saw that schaller has different sizes on their site - does anyone know what size the PRS CE uses?

Three different strap buttons to choose from:

XL = thread 4,5 mm, length 30 mm (as Replacement Kit)

M = thread 4,0 mm, length 22 mm (standard)

S = thread 3,5mm, length 18 mm (as Replacement Kit)

• We recommend to select the strap button first according to the size of the existing hole in the guitar.
  • If the hole is too big or too small, please choose a different strap button or reduce / close / re-drill or extend the hole.
  • To do this, carefully turn the strap button into the wood and, if the train is too tight, unscrew it again and drill it up successively.
  • If the strap button can be screwed in too easily, reduce or close the hole and then re-drill.

Last edited:
I used to use Schallers but got sick of the strap end not fitting on thicker straps. Did this new design fix that ?

In my experience, yes. What sucks is the new strap button itself. Before the screw was separate from the button. Now it’s one piece. Though, if you use one strap across several guitars, Grover has the old button separate from the screw that will work with these strap locks.

Weird. I bought a bunch of them from Sport HiTech on Reverb to upgrade my guitars and there wasn't any option for different buttons. They just worked.

Anyone have experience with the new design? I really don't want to make bigger holes on my guitar...I saw that schaller has different sizes on their site - does anyone know what size the PRS CE uses?

Three different strap buttons to choose from:

XL = thread 4,5 mm, length 30 mm (as Replacement Kit)

M = thread 4,0 mm, length 22 mm (standard)

S = thread 3,5mm, length 18 mm (as Replacement Kit)

• We recommend to select the strap button first according to the size of the existing hole in the guitar.
  • If the hole is too big or too small, please choose a different strap button or reduce / close / re-drill or extend the hole.
  • To do this, carefully turn the strap button into the wood and, if the train is too tight, unscrew it again and drill it up successively.
  • If the strap button can be screwed in too easily, reduce or close the hole and then re-drill.

In case you’re upgrading from the previous model, I just replaced the things that goes on the strap and used the old buttons that get screwed to the guitar. I find that one piece screw pretty stupid. I don’t want to widen the screw hole on my PRSi in case I want to go back to the original buttons or try a different straplock or want to sell a guitar with its original parts. The part that goes on the strap itself is definitely way better. I also I didn’t see anything about different lengths.

Several of my guitars have buttons that back out. It has to do with how the Schaller buttons wear and the friction that occurs when mated with the strap. The new design has a bevel where the lock hits the button making that contact initially softer without compromising the connection. It really works. Next, I’ll have to find a bunch of new buttons to swap out all of the rest over the course of the next year. The new buttons worked perfectly for me and the slight difference in thread from my stock screws was enough to make better contact without using a toothpick or glue. To me, the overall design change is a winner.

Weird. I bought a bunch of them from Sport HiTech on Reverb to upgrade my guitars and there wasn't any option for different buttons. They just worked.

I did too. The screws weren't any bigger either. Perfect fit.

Several of my guitars have buttons that back out. It has to do with how the Schaller buttons wear and the friction that occurs when mated with the strap. The new design has a bevel where the lock hits the button making that contact initially softer without compromising the connection. It really works. Next, I’ll have to find a bunch of new buttons to swap out all of the rest over the course of the next year. The new buttons worked perfectly for me and the slight difference in thread from my stock screws was enough to make better contact without using a toothpick or glue. To me, the overall design change is a winner.
This. +1000
The other benefit of the new 1 piece screw/button is they don’t seem to ever loosen. I used to check my buttons all the time and occasionally tighten. New design hasn’t budged since installing them.

I have them on ALL of my guitars and am pretty happy with them. I sold one guitar and there was no issue with putting the old stuff back in.

You DO have to retighten the piece that attaches to the strap now and then but that's normal.

The only advancement might be if when using one strap on multiple guitars, somehow the hardware could pivot accounting for different geometry of different guitars.

I have them on ALL of my guitars and am pretty happy with them. I sold one guitar and there was no issue with putting the old stuff back in.

You DO have to retighten the piece that attaches to the strap now and then but that's normal.

The only advancement might be if when using one strap on multiple guitars, somehow the hardware could pivot accounting for different geometry of different guitars.
Really? I haven't had to retighten anything on the new version and it's been almost a year.

I've bought several of these for my guitars. I love them! Much better than the old setup. Its the only lock set I trust.

Back