New Schaller S-Locks

Thanks for the feedback, all. I've poked around on the youtube, talked with a local guitar tech, read message boards. Anyway, I think that I'd like to keep my original screws in the guitar (so that I don't change the original hole size), instead of using schaller's new one piece button/screw. It turns out that Grover seems to sell (what appears to be) the original schaller design without felt pads.

So, I'm 99% sure I'm going to get grover strap locks and buy felt pads. Unless someone here can talk me out of it.

I'm going to install on my PRS CE, Ibanez RG550 and Les Paul Tribute.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I've poked around on the youtube, talked with a local guitar tech, read message boards. Anyway, I think that I'd like to keep my original screws in the guitar (so that I don't change the original hole size), instead of using schaller's new one piece button/screw. It turns out that Grover seems to sell (what appears to be) the original schaller design without felt pads.

So, I'm 99% sure I'm going to get grover strap locks and buy felt pads. Unless someone here can talk me out of it.

I'm going to install on my PRS CE, Ibanez RG550 and Les Paul Tribute.

That is correct. I’m using the Grover buttons with the S-Locks for some time now they match perfectly. Also nice when you have more guitars than straps as the Grover buttons cost drastically less than the S-Lock set.

Have a look at Marvel strap-locks. I’m pretty sure you can use your PRS screw (but please check).

They’re sturdy, a clever design (well for a numbskull like me!) and they won’t break the bank.

In fact the post above makes far more sense, just ignore me.

Schaller S-locks have a wider thread (approx 0.5mm wider) than the factory one on 2017 McCarty 594.
Also S-locks are roughly 1/3 shorter.
I decided not to risk it.
Will probably buy a pair of regular schaller buttons for security locks and try using stock screws

My new Grover strap locks and the felt pads showed up today. I'm going to install using the stock screws this weekend. Does anyone recommend that I put locktight on the stock screw before I install? I'm a bit nervous but I'm sure I'm prepared.

Last edited:
Schaller S-locks have a wider thread (approx 0.5mm wider) than the factory one on 2017 McCarty 594.
Also S-locks are roughly 1/3 shorter.
I decided not to risk it.
Will probably buy a pair of regular schaller buttons for security locks and try using stock screws

All I can say is; they went into all of mine without problem. The old PRS screw also went back into them without issue.

All I can say is; they went into all of mine without problem. The old PRS screw also went back into them without issue.

I'm not saying they wouldn't fit. The only thing is that they will make half of the original hole approx 0.5mm wider.
I did some comparison photos but I need one more post to post them

I'm not saying they wouldn't fit. The only thing is that they will make half of the original hole approx 0.5mm wider.
I did some comparison photos but I need one more post to post them

One more what? (There’s your opening - just don’t let Bodia see it because he’s a...well, you know!)

There's always one... as they say. I had Shallers on every electric guitar I own for many years. Gigged many of them, played them all. Now, I don't go out, have no intention, and I just removed the lot and returned them all to original buttons. The irony of it is, my PRS got damaged, not by a strap lock coming unscrewed or failing, but in a bout of Budweiseritis that left me to drop an old horseshoe stand on it one day and chipped a mighty ding in the lower bout.. I've since had it repaired flawlessly, but no Shaller was taking the place of 6 buds in a day, that day...;-)

Ok, so the buttons are all installed and ready to go! I'd like to put locks on my other straps but I can't seem to find extra locks outside of the set. You guys know where I can get some more locks?

I installed these one of my Fender bases today.... nice!

Reviving this thread-- I ordered some of the new s-locks and found as others did in this thread that the screw is shorter, and looks a hair wider.

From those of you that installed these on your core PRS, did it widen the hole to the point the original screws/buttons aren't usable anymore? Any issue using a shorter length screw?

Any issue using a shorter length screw?
Yes. The issue is, the screw is now cast into the rest of the button. They’re one piece. I’ve not taken it out to see if the original still fits because mine will never come out...and never sold. Kinda moot. Stick with the old style if that’s an issue.

Reviving this thread-- I ordered some of the new s-locks and found as others did in this thread that the screw is shorter, and looks a hair wider.

From those of you that installed these on your core PRS, did it widen the hole to the point the original screws/buttons aren't usable anymore? Any issue using a shorter length screw?
No issues using the supplied button/screw. Holds rock solid. Haven’t taken them off to try to put stock back on. There’s lots of debate in the thread about the bigger diameter screw. Pretty sure most who have installed them haven’t removed because they’re great. Jam a toothpick in there if you want to switch back or don’t install if you’re that worried.

I took my S locks off a core that I was selling. Original screws went in fine, with no need to add anything.

Back