New S2 Singlecut...Pickups?

Isnt a Les Paul Studio even CHEAPER than an S2? AND it's made in the USA. Workmanship is good on the ones I've seen and tried. The Koreans DO do a great job on the S2 and SE lines though.
The Bernie Marsden SE (as was mentioned earlier) gets pretty Les Paul-ish and it IS less than a LP Studio. The SE build quality is imho the same (awesome) as the S2s.
But yeah, there are several American made Gibson Les Paul models that sell for the same or less than the S2s.

NOT saying that the S2s arent great...any PRS is AWESOME...but a PRS is not a Les Paul and it's more than just the pickups that make the gibby sound so fat. A lot of people will tell you that it has a lot to do with the neck and...I tend to agree. I dont like beefy necks but...

In the end though, DO try the Bernie.
Good Luck.

ChuckBlues...would you say that the body thickness is the same as an LP?

Would you say the neck is somewhat close to the 60s taper?

Just wondering. I think if the answers are yes, than it will be closer in tone to an LP than the S2 Singlecut I have.

TNX

Hey guys. I just picked up an Antique White S2. A little backstory here. I own 3 late 90s Custom 22s with Dragon 2s and a lawsuit Singlecut with #7s.

Firstly. This is a VERY well built instrument. The intonation, fretwork, and electronics are all top notch US PRS all the way.

The guitar DOES NOT sound like a PRS to me. It has it's own voice. More SG than LP. I swapped out the #7s for Bareknuckle Mules to try to get it less biting and more round/warm. Even with the $300.00 Bareknuckle PAF clones the S2 still has a more jangly and snappy quality than a fat LP tone.

I purchased this guitar to replace my Custom 22s when on tour, and although the S2 doesn't have the growl of my 22s or my Singlecut; it is a work horse guitar that I'm not afraid to take a few bruises on the road. Planning on purchasing another as a backup.

Hope this helps!

-W

Back