New S2 Singlecut...Pickups?

TremoJem

I tried Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus, but was left with much disappointment from the build quality.

It was horrible. Mostly due to the neck joint. Actually I had two that were defective and decided I needed to look for alternative.

This led me to PRS. My quest was for that thick, fat Les Paul sound that hits you like a freight train.

I have an Ibanez Jem 7VWH. It covers all of my needs for the Super Strat tone and I love it. Everything about it...the 25.5" scale, jumbo frets, tremolo, pick ups etc.

But I really wanted something different. Something that would allow me to detune and use a slide.

The Epi sounded incredible, but quality was less than optimal.

I decided on the S2 Singlecut, as my Sweetwater representative suggested it.

My only concern is that it is not as fat, thick or in other words, having the freight train tone.

My question is this.

What if I swap out the pick ups. Maybe Bill Lawrence L500s?

I have played with pickup height and will adjust them again tomorrow to the suggested height that PRS has on their website, but am not confident it will help.

What are your suggestions? I will hopefully post more pics tomorrow.

Thanks

16343660720_6f75a3eb2f.jpg

I've always been of the opinion that if you want that Les Paul tone, you need a Les Paul. Other guitars get you close, but often not close enough.

I personally think the McCarty and the SC58 are the ones that get closest in PRS terms. A change in pickups in your S2 may help but you may still fall short of what your looking for.

For a similar price to the S2 you could have got a LP Studio. Whilst it's in no way as well built as the S2 it will get you that thick tone that you are after.

It is worth just experimenting with your amp settings anyway. You may find you can dial in a useable tone that you are happy with and without the need for gambling with a pickup swap.

Last edited:
I agree. I've had the S2 singlecut for a few days, but returned it. I could have tried different pickups, but didn't want to take the chance. I got a used LP classic for the same price as the S2 and I am very happy with the purchase.

Thanks guys. Here is the thing...the Epi's sounded incredible...but the playability is horrible compared to the S2.

The quality is horrible in Epi's and Gibby's too. I am not trying to slam them, just stating what I learned from experience and from the other forum that posted pics and commented on the same thing. Believe me when I say.."I want a Les Paul in the worst way". It just seems that I will have to buy a used one that is not weight relieved and therefore will probably cost me about 5k or more. I just don't have that kind of money.

I am not sure what spec the frets are with regards to comparing the two, but they both list "medium jumbo".

But, the S2 is down to a very low action and I can still play it. In fact it is almost as low as my Jem. The Epi had to be high in order for me to play it. I like my jumbo frets in my Jem and after many years of playing Ibanez's with jumbo frets, I am surprised I can even play medium jumbo...but that is testament to PRS for making a great instrument.

I had real difficulty with the Epi neck with regards to action height and frets. But, LOVE THE TONE.

So, yes you are probably right...pick ups might not help. That leaves me with the option of buying an Epi Les Paul Tribute Plus and doing a fret job...hmmm, it is that thinking that led me to the PRS in the first place.

Oh well...maybe Ibanez has a model that gets me close...I doubt it though. I checked and the only one that got close was over 2K.

15917098254_1dd03d3671.jpg

You have a pretty skewed perception of gibby prices, I think :)

I got a GREAT Les Paul (used) for the price of the S2 Singlecut I had for a few days. Couldn't be happier.

And weight relief is not as bad as the Gibson R8 owners think.... Don't drink that kool-aid :) PRS also used weight relief in the past.

You'll just have to try several LPs in order to find the right one.

If you didn't like the tone of the S2 SC, why did you buy it? A pickup change won't give you that thick, creamy LP tone. Plus, a pickup change is a crapshoot: you don't know how a particular pickup will sound like in your guitar until you install it. I've played several LPs last year and even the cheapest one, the LPM, felt and sounded great.

OP, I recall your posts in the MLP forum, bad luck maybe. Here's a couple of suggestions. I might check out the PRS Marsden SE model, I believe it is as thick as a real LP. Pickups are decent, but you could put a set of Burstbuckers in there if need be. Only one color option I think, but they look really nice.

Epi does make some good models though. I might track down a 1959 model, made in 2010 - has a fatter neck though. Or a 1960 v3 which I have, with a somewhat slimmer neck, but not skinny. Great guitars, higher build quality, long neck tenon, real maple cap and great sounding Burstbucker 1/2 pickups in them. I prefer them over the Gibson '57s that are in the Tribute, as I have one of those too. Plus if you don't like 'em, the resale is great. They run close to what they were new, if not more, in the $650 - 800 range. About the price of the Marsden model.

My 2 cents anyways.

Just read you got the S2, so disregard my comments, lol. I really like the S2 series actually. I'm thinking about getting a S2 Standard 22. Seems like sort of a cross between a Les Paul and a strat. I love their look, and I think it's time I step outside of Fender/Gibson and get something different.

Thanks IRG. What really breaks my balls is the neck and frets. I looked at the Prophecy GX. It has the jumbo frest and a 14" radius. Very close to my Jem neck. It is not as pretty at the Tribute or Plus Top Pro. I am not familiar with the pick ups though. How do they sound compared to the Epi buckers and 57s. I actually like the buckers in the PTP a little better than the 57s I think. I am so confused!

What are the pickups in the Prophecy? I was thinking they're two versions, one has a set of Gibson 498/490, the other a set of active EMG 881/85. The Gibson pickups are hot PAFs, I've had them in a couple of guitars, and they are hotter. Not really my cup of tea but they're good for rawk. I guess I prefer lower output pickups somewhat, and then adding a hotter signal via pedals. If you have a more rocking amp though, you might be able to avoid that, and just guitar>amp. Although I was looking at the Seymour Duncan video of their power booster pedal, that would be helpful to have too.

EMG's are what they are, never used them. A lot metal guitarists swear by them, some complain they're sterile on clean tones, but I've heard some like 'em too. So I dunno, I guess try them out first if you can.

The Prophecy is one of Epi's thinnest necks I believe, probably why you like it, similar to your Ibanez.

I saw the SE Bernie was mentioned here.
Great video here of Bernie comparing it to his '58 Les Paul

I have never played a Bernie SE guitar, but I have often read it comes the closest to an old thick Les Paul sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I had the SE 245 which has the same body thickness as the Marsden, but not quite the thick neck. Two things let it down imo, one is minor and that is the nut, they bind strings easily. But not an expensive fix. The other is bigger, and the pickups on it are fine, but generic. Expected at this price point I guess. A good set of pickups would take these to a higher level. I'm hoping this is true of the S2 line, but from what I've been reading here, it's a mixed bag still.

I play in a hard rock/metal band called Pandemic Unleashed. I own a S2 Antique White Singlecut Solid Body. It's one of the best sounding and playing guitars I have ever used. I'm an EMG guy. I put them in every guitar I have owned. BUT this S2 sounds just as good as my other guitars that have EMGs in them. It actually sounds a little better. The stock S2 pickups are very hot. I love them. And I will say, I did a tone comparison between a Gibson Les Paul Standard with EMGs to my S2. The S2 eats the Standard for breakfast and leaves no leftovers. The S2 sounds much fuller than the Les Paul and just as hot if not hotter pickup tone. The S2 also FEELS like a $2,000 guitar. More so than the Standard. I play out of two Mesa Boogie Mark V heads and two 4x12 cabs with Celestion V30s. My settings aren't way over EQd either. My gain is at 1:30, treble 1:30, presence 1:00, bass 11:00, mids 10:00 the graphic is a classic V shape with the low and high mid slightly boosted evenly. And I'm on the Mark IIC+ setting. With the S2 I can get anything from AC/DC to Slayer. It's an awesome guitar. I had it set up with 10-52 Ernie Ball Cobalts and it stays in tune great. I love it so much I've decided that I'm going to buy another one in the future in the Cherryburst

Last edited:
David, I too have the S2 Singlcut...with stock pickups.

It took a little bit of an effort to adjust and then I performed a setup on the instrument and it crushes.

I play thru two Mesa Tremoverb Combos with V30s and share a custom wired Marshall 4x12, which I split for two inputs.

The guitar sounds amazing. At first, I was thinking pick up swap, but now I am good to go.

I too, run my gain channel at about 12 to 1...a little less than you, but it sounds great. Actually my preamp settings are very close to yours, but in any setting, I think these Maryland made guitars are sweet!

TremoJem, glad you were able to work things out on your guitar! As an aside, I'm a big fan of the Singlecut models in the Core line, and have one of the McCarty Singlecuts that were introduced recently for the Private Stock line. I do think they have that huge, freight train sound as well.

One thing I gotta comment on is the Tremoverb combos. What great amps! I had one in my studio for probably 12-13 years (had one of the early leather covered ones), and then my son rocked it in his band all through high school and college. IMHO, it's the best all-around amp Mesa has ever made.

Unfortunately, mine had an issue at the end, so I took it to the local amp guru for a repair. Big mistake, I should've sent it to Mesa. He "fixed" it with a non-Mesa mod, and the amp really never sounded the same. I finally reluctantly sold it to a guy who wanted to mod it further, and bought my son a newer Mesa.

I've become a huge fan of PRS amps, and the HXDA is my main squeeze. It's an incredible amp, and sounds amazing with a PRS SC.

LSchefman, thanks for the kind words...I too love my amps. Very versatile.

I am kinda thinking about expanding on the PRS tone. I watched the Bernie Marsden video with the SE Singlecut and it is the bomb for LP tone, according to this video. It seems to be a bit thicker in the body size too...don't know.

I can't really afford anything in the core line, so the next thing would be one of the SE Singlecuts.

Does anyone else have any experience with the SE Singlecuts?

I have a Bernie Marsden that I swapped out the pups for Bare Knuckle Mules , It's my favorite by far . I like it better than the S2 Mira I have ,

Hi, just a few comments that may help you out. I own several PRS that I LOVE as well as a mid 80's Gibson Les Paul with the famous Tim Shaw pickups as well as a Japanese Ibanez from the early 90's and 2 Epiphone Les Pauls. I just wanted to say in my experience that a PRS just as any other guitar does its own thing the best. Live I will gladly grab my PRS and do a whole show. If I am recording I may opt to use my Les Paul or even the Ibanez for certain parts or songs. I feel ya on the build quaility. My PRS play SOOOOOO nice I hate to put it down but sometimes only the Les Paul will work on a track. I find it more of an issue with rhythm work than leads. I have both Gibson and Epi Les Pauls and I would really suggest you try the Guitar Center exclusive Epi Traditional Pro. They have a satin back and neck but a gloss top. They have coil splits and pups are a Probucker 3 in the bridge and a 57 classic in the neck. I have found the fretwork on the new models ie 2014 to be better than the ones from a few years back in fact I just bought my newest one a few weeks back and there is no need for fretwork. Perfect fretwork out of the box. I can A/B them with my Gibby and I swear if you close your eyes there is no difference in tone and I am very picky. I would suggest buying a used Traditional Pro for like 300 bucks and if need be get a fret job for 90 bucks and have the molten les paul tone for 400 bucks. I have alot of guitars because they really all do different things and I use the PRS for lots of recording but it sounds like what you really need is a Les Paul, lol I get it. Go get one and just know that the build quality really isn't going to match but if it sounds right just look past that point. Rock on brother!

I have a Epi 1960s Tribute Plus and it is easily equal in build quality every S2 I have played and I have played several, it is nearly as well built as my American Strat. I would say you were very unlucky in your experience with the Tribute, try again. With the Gibson 1957 pups and quality electronics if you couldn't see it you would never know it wasn't a Gibson.

...I would say you were very unlucky in your experience with the Tribute, ....

Either that or you were rather lucky with yours. It appears to me that more people find flaws with Epi's than have the quality experience you did. Still there are well built Epi's out there. I'm glad you found one.

Back