New PRS owner- Question about QC

Do you think that line by the neck joint can be fixed? This guitar was the lightest one I could find at 6.8 lbs which is what I need.

That looks like it could be glue that squeezed out from the neck joint and should have been cleaned off before finishing. If so, it shouldn't have left the factory like that. I'd hope PRS would fix this as it's a defect, but it's a question of whether you want to undertake getting the guitar repaired or finding a replacement.

On close inspection does it look like something under the finish or a bubble where the finish separated from the wood?

The hassle of returning it and trying to find another may not be worth it. It plays great and is so light.

That looks like it could be glue that squeezed out from the neck joint and should have been cleaned off before finishing. If so, it shouldn't have left the factory like that. I'd hope PRS would fix this as it's a defect, but it's a question of whether you want to undertake getting the guitar repaired or finding a replacement.

On close inspection does it look like something under the finish or a bubble where the finish separated from the wood?

Maybe on a Core but I wouldnt expect that on a SE

Yeah the edge of the maple veneer. You can see the light and dark patches along the edge perfectly align with the strips of flame on the top
Indeed you can, but what I meant was you shouldn’t be able to see the edge of the veneer at all, so I would consider that a flaw tbh. I think we might be agreeing, but I’m not entirely sure :)

The hassle of returning it and trying to find another may not be worth it. It plays great and is so light.
Only you can decide. Personally, that would bug me and spoil my enjoyment of owning it, but if you’re not bothered then play on sir!

Indeed you can, but what I meant was you shouldn’t be able to see the edge of the veneer at all, so I would consider that a flaw tbh. I think we might be agreeing, but I’m not entirely sure :)

I think we are saying the same thing. IMO though I don’t think what you can see there is really avoidable on a section with no binding

I recently purchased a PRS Zack Meyers and wanted to get some feedback regarding the finish work on the Guitar. I am not sure if these are defects or expected minor flaws near the lower horn, and were the neck joins the body. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

I just bought a CE 24 this month and it has a bump on the side of the neck right around the 7th fret. Feels like a wart. Contacted PRS support about how to remove it but no response.
So, QC rating? I'll hold off but...
Support- Solid F.

I bought the Santana Abraxas 50th edition where they only made 1,000 of them. I have the same flaw where the neck and the body meet just like in the photo the pm posted. I was a bit perturbed when I saw it. But, with a limited edition, I don't think I want to take a chance to get it replaced, if that is even an option. In my mind, it makes it unique. But, from everything I hear about PRS, I expected better.

I bought the Santana Abraxas 50th edition where they only made 1,000 of them. I have the same flaw where the neck and the body meet just like in the photo the pm posted. I was a bit perturbed when I saw it. But, with a limited edition, I don't think I want to take a chance to get it replaced, if that is even an option. In my mind, it makes it unique. But, from everything I hear about PRS, I expected better.

I wouldn't worry about the limited too much there's quite a few floating around. Daves had a couple used ones too the other day.

That’s your answer. If it’s light, plays great, and sounds great (which my ZM certainly does) then you gotta decide if you can live with the cosmetics.

That’s your answer. If it’s light, plays great, and sounds great (which my ZM certainly does) then you gotta decide if you can live with the cosmetics.

This ^^^ We forget sometimes that's what its all about. I've been on a music documentary kick lately and looking at lots of these guitars the now famous musicians were using would never sell on reverb today!

Anybody have much luck contacting PRS customer service? Then don't seem very responsive. I even called to follow up on my email I sent them, and the person I spoke really could care less.

Anybody have much luck contacting PRS customer service? Then don't seem very responsive. I even called to follow up on my email I sent them, and the person I spoke really could care less.

I usually get an email response pretty quick.

I sent an email with pics about an issue 2 months ago, gave up on a response.

As " anal" as I am ... I don't think I'd sweat that . Looks like some finish was missed at the joint. and maybe a Tech who was skilled in finishing could address that.

But I have found, that after a guitar sits around the crib long enough, dust and sh*t get in that joint, and you would not even notice it ...

You mention that your original guitar has the lighter weight you need, and in the long run, that will far outweigh the benefit any "pristine" neck joint might provide, while weighing 10 lbs ! :cool:

Then ... there is the inadvertent "bonk" that occurs (usually when putting the new babe in the rack, the older jealous gurls bonk on her little nicks show up on the lower bouts) So ...

Kick back and enjoy your guitar. ! :p

EDIT ;BTW... that is a pretty guitar. I'm diggin' on the flamey/stripey top .

I been baying at the moon, to get flame like that, on a S2 McCarty 594 Thinline ...

Last edited:
Worrying about that minor stuff on an import guitar is kind of over the top. Just my opinion. Might be worth a look on a Private Stock. But this is..I dunno. nuts.

The "lines in the finish" on the other one are actually lines in the wood itself. In other words, nature.

I wish folks wouldn't make such a big deal out of the F#$king tops of the guitars, especially on the SE line.

Back