New pickups day, S2 to core

Anachronism

Bassist with a guitar habit
I installed some 58/15 LTs (TCI) and a PRS wiring harness into my S2 594 singlecut. It took a while, but everything is wired up, hopefully not waiting for an inopportune moment to come loose.
My immediate impression is that the core pickups are somehow both richer and clearer than the 58/15S set. That is, they are more harmonically complex, perhaps because they more clearly capture the full sound of the guitar. They are very responsive--which is good, but does expose mistakes. They are very musical even when run into a lot of overdrive, and the coil splits are much improved.
Playing the upgrade S2 alongside my cores, I don't feel that anything is lacking in terms of tone or playability. The S2 isn't as elegant (though it's still a looker), but I think it's going to be a keeper.

So glad it turned out well, but given the quality of the components not surprising at all!

I'm not sure what I'll do with my S2 594. Like you, not really happy with the stock pickups, but the sound I get from the Stripped '58 is so good that I'm not sure that the S2 with Core electronics would be that different. Maybe just get some hot pups and see how it works as a rock machine.

So glad it turned out well, but given the quality of the components not surprising at all!

I'm not sure what I'll do with my S2 594. Like you, not really happy with the stock pickups, but the sound I get from the Stripped '58 is so good that I'm not sure that the S2 with Core electronics would be that different. Maybe just get some hot pups and see how it works as a rock machine.

That could certainly work out well. I will say that the 594 with the 58/15 LT pickups is distinct from a P245 I had with 58/15 pickups, and probably further still from the Stripped '58.

Back