New model announced

There's plenty of teles out there that aren't over the top twang. I built a rock machine tele last year. Sure i coax sweet tele twang out of the bridge but honestly it loves to rock more than boot scoot. Its absoluteky one of my favorite guitats that draws compliments for looks and sound as much if not more than my custom 24.

The Tele has the "country" rep, but really, it's the Strat that was built to be a country guitar. Seriously. Read the history.

Leo Fender built the first production solidbody electric guitars, and those were sold as the Broadcaster and Esquire. The idea was for it to be a solid body electric guitar, which was a heretical, nay revolutionary thought at the time. It wasn't a country guitar, it was an electric guitar, and that by itself was radical enough.

After Fender shook up the market with the first solidbody electric guitars, they decided to build a country guitar, as that was the hot musical style at the time. The result was the Stratocaster, which by the way also wound up being a revolutionary electric guitar.

I had a serious bias against Teles for the longest time, mostly for stupid cosmetic reasons. I honestly just don't like the way they look. But I remember reading a comment from a knowledgeable gigging professional who said "a great Telecaster sounds like hitting a piano with a sledge hammer."

Well.

I had to have me some of that. To my ears the bridge pickup of a Strat is a massive serving of plinky disappointment compared to to the righteous kerrang of the bridge pickup on a Tele.

So I had a custom tele-like guitar built by a very respectable builder of electric guitars. And I told the builder "I want a rock Tele, not a country Tele." Also, "paint it the color of my Mustang" and his eyes lit up and our brains joined. I've probably dropped enough hints that a few of you know who I'm talking about. I love that guitar to death.

TL;DR: I'll take the back half of a Tele over the back half of the Strat any day of the week. The front half is a matter of taste, and I can appreciate both.

Would want an actual tele player. GE Smith, Danny Gatton, that Paisley guy. Would have been skeptical, but the SS made me a believer.

Would.
What about Terry Kath? It would sell the guitar, and bring Terry back to the world vision.

Great fools gag

I just want to say, so that we are all clear,...

That I was but an innocent bystander in this thread train that went left and then off the tracks.

Let the record show. It wasn’t me. The gloves didn’t fit.

I just want to say, so that we are all clear,...

That I was but an innocent bystander in this thread train that went left and then off the tracks.

Let the record show. It wasn’t me. The gloves didn’t fit.
Oh it wasn't the gloves that didn't fit though... if mammory serves me correctly, that is.

Back