New McCarty LT pickups?

SinSir

Mad Scientist
There was some talk in another thread about the 594 getting an update. Saw this on one of the FB groups.

10000335116f9a9aef6828e1b2.jpg

I’m for the name change. This numbering system has been terrible. Especially when the “S” versions are involved. It’s not only a mouthful but very confusing for some sellers. I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen it mixed up, even from reputable dealers. I hope the change is permanent and for all the lines.

I am surprise by the move from brushed nickel. I liked that cosmetic choice but it does wear faster than traditional nickel.

I’m for the name change. This numbering system has been terrible. Especially when the “S” versions are involved. It’s not only a mouthful but very confusing for some sellers. I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve seen it mixed up, even from reputable dealers. I hope the change is permanent and for all the lines.
The numbered naming convention is pretty straight forward once you know what the numbers represent. Do I want the PRS version of a 57 sound? 85? Kinda like strat pickups, 50s or 60s. Issued in 08? 15? Easier to me than, say Dragon. What's a dragon sound like? OK.. Maybe the D1 do breathe a little fire. :D

Now the S does confuse things. Are those 5815s or 5815S?

Last edited:
The numbered naming convention is pretty straight forward once you know what the numbers represent. Do I want the PRS version of a 57 sound? 85? Kinda like strat pickups, 50s or 60s. Issued in 08? 15? Easier to me than, say Dragon. What's a dragon sound like? OK.. Maybe the D1 do breathe a little fire. :D

Now the S does confuse things. Are those 5815s or 5815S?
Oh I understand it. And what it’s intended. But for your average seller and buyers? Way too many times I’ve seen guitars described as 58/15 on a custom 24. A simple error. But a real different pickup

Oh I understand it. And what it’s intended. But for your average seller and buyers? Way too many times I’ve seen guitars described as 58/15 on a custom 24. A simple error. But a real different pickup
I get what you're saying.. but we can't fix stupid :)

If they can't get the pickups straight they'll find something else to mess up.. like neck profiles!

I am not by any means a contrarian, but I don’t care for the PRS trend towards low output pickups and fat necks that seem to be more and more the norm. I am relegated to grabbing older used guitars with 22 frets and pattern thin or DGT carve, and upgrading the pickups.

Yeah I know about Tremonti’s and Holcomb, etc but they don’t do it for me either ergonomically, having 24 frets, or too flat a radius. That and the cost of new nowadays drives me to the used market.

Back