New Guitar Decisions....

On Wednesday’s we wear pink.

Here in Detroit everyone wears pink tutus on Fridays because it’s business casual day.

But for me, business casual is whatever I fell asleep in the previous night. This morning I woke up in a saucy little pair of hooker hot pants, reeking of cheap perfume.

I certainly had some explaining to do when I got home.

Maybe it’s better that I can’t remember what happened.

Nah.

I’ve had Teles. When I first started recording professionally people said, “You need a Tele, a Strat, a 335 and a Les Paul.

Wasn’t true.

What I found I needed was a PRS.

Haven’t bought or owned a Tele in 20 years. It was a happy day when I sold the one I had. Never liked playing Fender style guitars. Never missed the Tele I sold. And no one ever cared or complained on any of my sessions. No one ever said, “Oh, I need that part to be a Tele.”

Once, on a big project, a client said, “I’d like to have a Rickenbacker 12 on this.” Only specific instrument request I ever had in 30 years of ad music work.

I suppose not everyone needs a Tele but I certainly do. It's not even the sound that gets me all the time. The location of the controls and balance of the guitar work for me. Very comfortable. Oddly enough I got the same feeling when I got a 594. Everything is in the place it needs to be.

I suppose not everyone needs a Tele but I certainly do. It's not even the sound that gets me all the time. The location of the controls and balance of the guitar work for me. Very comfortable. Oddly enough I got the same feeling when I got a 594. Everything is in the place it needs to be.

The thing is that each of us finds what we like, and “must-haves” are personal choices.

Something about the 594 makes it great for me, too. Feels so right.

Nah.

I’ve had Teles. When I first started recording professionally people said, “You need a Tele, a Strat, a 335 and a Les Paul.

Wasn’t true.

What I found I needed was a PRS.

Haven’t bought or owned a Tele in 20 years. It was a happy day when I sold the one I had. Never liked playing Fender style guitars. Never missed the Tele I sold. And no one ever cared or complained on any of my sessions. No one ever said, “Oh, I need that part to be a Tele.”

Once, on a big project, a client said, “I’d like to have a Rickenbacker 12 on this.” Only specific instrument request I ever had in 30 years of ad music work.

Yeah I was just in enablement mode. LOL I love a good tele, but never can get on with strats outside of a Clapton model.

I can get some convincing spank out of a P90 guitar..have some 'tele shaped objects' by a small builder I love that fit that bill.

The switch on the top horn throws me off.

You might just need a deluxe with 4 knobs and an upper switch! (594)

You might just need a deluxe with 4 knobs and an upper switch! (594)

I've played more Telecasters than I can count but a Deluxe was not among them. I'm not certain I'd like the switch there on a Tele even though I love it on the 594. The standard setup works just fine.

1955 Telecaster
tYdoVWQl.jpg

Here in Detroit everyone wears pink tutus on Fridays because it’s business casual day.

But for me, business casual is whatever I fell asleep in the previous night. This morning I woke up in a saucy little pair of hooker hot pants, reeking of cheap perfume.

I certainly had some explaining to do when I got home.

Maybe it’s better that I can’t remember what happened.

You saucy little minx you.

I've played more Telecasters than I can count but a Deluxe was not among them. I'm not certain I'd like the switch there on a Tele even though I love it on the 594. The standard setup works just fine.

1955 Telecaster
tYdoVWQl.jpg
I know what you mean. I was all used to the cu22 3-way and then got a 594 and it turned my world around.

I was watching some of the videos and am intrigued now.
Must find one to play just so I know about it.

I’ve got a Richie Kotzen Telecaster, it’s got a fat neck and a series parallel switch instead of a tone knob, it’s a great guitar,

I’ve got a Richie Kotzen Telecaster, it’s got a fat neck and a series parallel switch instead of a tone knob, it’s a great guitar,
I played one of these recently. I don't think I could get along long term with that neck, but it sounded awesome.

I played one of these recently. I don't think I could get along long term with that neck, but it sounded awesome.

I absolutely loved the neck, but my tele's a parts caster with a .95 depth (ish) at nut now.

Back