New Guitar Decisions....

But how well does the Vela carry a Tom Morello type tone?

Given that he gets that tone with a Tele, I'd say there's no issue getting a VERY similar tone with the Vela. The stamped bridge of the Vela REALLY gives a Tele type tone. Remember, tone is a combination of the guitar, the pedals, the amp and the player. You could have his exact rig and not get his tone precisely because you're not him.

If you want a Tele, buy a Tele. I play my Vela more than my Tele. Every time I pick up the Vela I think, "Maybe I should sell the Tele." But I haven't, and I probably won't because I just LIKE having a Tele.

There were pics here of one of the PRS endorsees playing a 305 that had been converted to a SD everything axe pickup set. So you could probably throw a Tele neck pickup into one as well...

I'm with Garrett, you can get really close to Tele with good splits on a PRS. I was really surprised how close I could get with a 594.

I'm with Garrett, you can get really close to Tele with good splits on a PRS. I was really surprised how close I could get with a 594.
I second the tele split potential of the 594 with 58/18LT pickups. They are phenomenal.

But the Telecaster is etched into guitar history for a reason. If that's what you want, you should buy a Nash. Best tele's for the money BY FAR, in my opinion. AND get yourself a Vela, because they are killer. And a Santana.

Core Starla preferably with a Bigsby, but you'll need a little patience waiting for the right preowned example to pop up.

Not exactly like a tele but it can cop those tones convincingly, it'll offer a bunch of other sounds a tele can't, and is just way cooler overall. The shorter scale length however gives it a much different feel so it won't 'fight back' in the way that some tele players seem to favor ... a factor I never personally understood.

Given that he gets that tone with a Tele, I'd say there's no issue getting a VERY similar tone with the Vela. The stamped bridge of the Vela REALLY gives a Tele type tone. Remember, tone is a combination of the guitar, the pedals, the amp and the player. You could have his exact rig and not get his tone precisely because you're not him.

If you want a Tele, buy a Tele. I play my Vela more than my Tele. Every time I pick up the Vela I think, "Maybe I should sell the Tele." But I haven't, and I probably won't because I just LIKE having a Tele.
I just want his kinda type of tone, which is why i want a tele, just im not fully replicating it. I wanna implement some of it into my music. I may try a Vela

All of my electric guitars are either PRS's or Fenders. I have a 57 Reissue Tele which I consider to be a great sounding guitar (quality not the same as PRS, but the tone is classic Tele all the way). I also have an NF3 and a S2 Studio. Both of these guitars are great guitars, but you are not going to get a Tele sound out of them (they are much closer to Strat like tones IMHO). So long and short, I see no harm in getting a Tele, if you primary interest is the tone(s) that the Tele can deliver.

Now that PRS has the Silver Sky (and what seems like very good market acceptance), maybe they will think about a Tele????

Variety is a good thing. I currently have a PRS, Gibson, Fender, Dean, & BC Rich electrics. Even though the PRS & Gibson get 99% of the playing time, it is nice to have the others when I want to just switch things up a bit.

Reactions: Tag
So tough times have came up, Im starting to like the telecaster and now i want one. I try to stay with PRS and stay true to PRS but now I want a tele. What do I do!?

I think the simple solution is to buy a Tele. The design of the bridge & bridge pickup makes for a unique sound that I don't think any other guitar can get. There are a ton of low cost options out there if you just want to dip your toe in the water.

I'm a big PRS fan but started out playing a Tele and gigged a 1983 '52 RI Tele modded by Joe Glaser for 18 years straight.

Nothing does what a great T-style does, IMO. However, I am not a Fender fan these days. So many do it better---better neck carves, better fretwork, better hardware, better finishes, etc. These are just two of my favorite T-type guitars I own.

And here is my workhorse Suhr in action.

As far as typical PRS go, the DGT split does the best approximation, but that is all it is. You must have the metal bridge plate that holds the bridge pickup at the correct angle, three barrels---plus a good pickup there, and you can twang AND rock till your heart's content. Tele neck pickups are wonderful for jazz type tones and the combined sound is good for just about anything.

The most recorded guitar in history is Tommy Tedesco's white Tele with a rosewood board. That guitar was on more hits and movie soundtracks than you can imagine. Sometimes it sounded like a twangy Tele, other times just a great sounding guitar played by a master. That is the beauty of the design---very versatile and you get what you put into it.

Yeah, but Tom Morello's Tele is an early American Standard, so it doesn't have the classic bridge. Plus he runs through OD and a Whammy pedal. You can get a similar tone from a number of different guitars.

But I get it. GAS is a cruel mistress. Buy whatever is going to make you want to play.

everyone needs a tele. Period. Even David Grissom is seen with one around Austin from time to time.

Nah.

I’ve had Teles. When I first started recording professionally people said, “You need a Tele, a Strat, a 335 and a Les Paul.

Wasn’t true.

What I found I needed was a PRS.

Haven’t bought or owned a Tele in 20 years. It was a happy day when I sold the one I had. Never liked playing Fender style guitars. Never missed the Tele I sold. And no one ever cared or complained on any of my sessions. No one ever said, “Oh, I need that part to be a Tele.”

Once, on a big project, a client said, “I’d like to have a Rickenbacker 12 on this.” Only specific instrument request I ever had in 30 years of ad music work.

Last edited:
I was getting ready to scratch the Tele itch again ( I've had a bunch )
My local enablers saved me !!!!!

dZxpwH7.png

Back