New Guitar Decisions....

TRJC24PRS

Possibly A New Member
So tough times have came up, Im starting to like the telecaster and now i want one. I try to stay with PRS and stay true to PRS but now I want a tele. What do I do!?

I have a Tele; a 2014 American Deluxe. It's a great guitar.

I play it and I really enjoy it. Then I pick up my Vela and realize how close they are. The Vela has the same "snap" and immediacy as my Tele. The Vela has a few more tones in it with the split bridge p/u option. I like the Vela's d-style neck pickup better than my Tele's neck pickup.

But the Vela is not a Tele. There's something about having having a Tele and that direct lineage to the first mass produced electric guitar.

If you want a Tele get a Tele. IF you really like the PRS scale length and playability and you like the Tele vibe, there's a good chance you're going to end uop with a Vela as well.

Might as well buy a Tele. Enjoy the search.

I really love their sound, but find the E strings too close to the edge of the fretboard. That's why I cant have one :(

I would think a.Brent Mason would be loaded with Tele tones?

That's what I thought, too, before I bought mine....but NOPE. It's totally its own thing. The Vela is more Tele-ish, but still not the same.

OP, get the Tele. You won't be sorry. I still have an Esquire that play often because nothing else gets that sound.

I have a Tele; a 2014 American Deluxe. It's a great guitar.

I play it and I really enjoy it. Then I pick up my Vela and realize how close they are. The Vela has the same "snap" and immediacy as my Tele. The Vela has a few more tones in it with the split bridge p/u option. I like the Vela's d-style neck pickup better than my Tele's neck pickup.

But the Vela is not a Tele. There's something about having having a Tele and that direct lineage to the first mass produced electric guitar.

If you want a Tele get a Tele. IF you really like the PRS scale length and playability and you like the Tele vibe, there's a good chance you're going to end uop with a Vela as well.
But how well does the Vela carry a Tom Morello type tone?

I find I can get Tele-ish on anything with a single coil option.

If you want a Tele, you gotta go for the true deal with the stamped bridge and the single coil pickups. But that also means you have to deal with the issues that setup carries with it.

I was in to Teles for several years, but I "fixed" them by modernizing them. I finally realized I could get close enough with my coil splitting PRS guitars, plus still have the humbucker tones. Bye-bye Teles.

Someday I might put together a true vintage style Esquire. The magic really is in that vintage bridge/pickup combo. Anything else is just -ish, so I may as well play a PRS instead.

Back