New Amp Day: ARCHON 100watt

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
New Amp Day: ARCHON 100watt with a Marshall 1936 cabinet... the one with Vingage 30's installed.

I've had my eye on this amp ever since they first announced it. Since then they have come out with a 50 watt and a 25 watt combo and I had actually talked myself in to the 25 watt combo. But as it so happened, I wound up poking around a legendary PRS dealer in Maryland today, got to talking to them about their amp selection and wound up getting a great deal on the 100 watt version. Besides, they didn't have any of the smaller ones in stock. I'm actually planning on pairing up the 2x12 Marchall cabinet with my lunch box sized hand wired Russian Sovtek amp but the sales guy said the Archon would go very nicely with it too. The new home for the Archon will be perched up on one of my Marshall 1960 4x12 cabinets.

Archon100Marshall1936.jpg

Tone Demo from PRS which you've probably already seen a hundred times.
[video]https://youtu.be/W8GU9osUXoY[/video]

From the PRS web site:
http://www.prsguitars.com/archon/

Congrats, and welcome to Club Archon!

Great amps - so versatile. I bought mine w/o hearing more than Internet clips, and I haven't regretted it for a second.

It seems like the only instructions it came with were the lawyer speak instructions. Ie, don't do something stupid in nine different languages.
So I guess one is supposed to just read what it says on the dials and experiment with the different tones.

A question for anyone who might know... Will I get uneven "wear" out of the tubes if I set the power switch to the 50 watt setting and leave it there? I assume that only half of the tubes are used in the 50 watt setting like a different amp that I have at home. This has led me to wonder about when it comes time to change the tubes, will I have to change all of the tubes or just the ones that got used by having the amp set to 50 watts for its whole life?

Probably. I only run my Mesa Electra Dyne in 45 watt mode and I know it just uses 2 of its 4 6L6's. The heaters are on the other tubes, but none of the high voltage required for full operation. Maybe an amp guru will chime in. In fact, if you're really curious, just Google it. It's probably the same for all 100 watt heads with a half power switch.

A question for anyone who might know... Will I get uneven "wear" out of the tubes if I set the power switch to the 50 watt setting and leave it there? I assume that only half of the tubes are used in the 50 watt setting like a different amp that I have at home. This has led me to wonder about when it comes time to change the tubes, will I have to change all of the tubes or just the ones that got used by having the amp set to 50 watts for its whole life?
I'm also interested about this question :D

Now we're talking: Super High Quality, Professional, High Power Greatness that would be right at home on any stage in the world. Well Done~!

When you have the chance, could you tell me:
Q: Did it come stock with 6L6 or EL34's?
Q: Have you checked the Tube Bias?

Thanks~!

Last edited:
Woooooooo! I'd email PRS on the tube thing. I always run 100 watt mode so I've never thought about it that way.

Rotate the power tubes periodically, like car tires. Just make sure you keep the pairs together. I suspect they are inside-outside pairs, but I can't remember for sure.

It seems like the only instructions it came with were the lawyer speak instructions. Ie, don't do something stupid in nine different languages.
So I guess one is supposed to just read what it says on the dials and experiment with the different tones.

Killer amp. Enjoy!
The only knobs I don't have at 12:00 are bass, depth and presence. I bump up the bass knobs slightly (1:00) and alter depth and presence slightly to balance the tone for the room I'm in. And I have both bright switches on.

Back