Need some help

AP515

Mostly Normal
I've recently picked up a 2002 Cu24 Artist package with a stoptail. Love the guitar but I've been looking at the features and there is something I can't explain. They didn't put the usual locking tuners on it, they used non-locking PRS tuners. That made me think the headstock wouldn't take the Phase 2's so I measured the thickness. It's a Cu24 with the McCarty headstock thickness.

Anyone know how you can special order a McCarty thickness headstock in 2002 and not have to go private stock? I asked PRS for details but they could only give me the information from the MODCAT.

20151121_174824_zpsk1do8wyh.jpeg

Cua4%20ST%201_zpsewuaoic9.jpeg

Who knows how it was ordered or if it was private stock but I think it's been modified along the way cause those ain't 2002 pups.

Who knows how it was ordered or if it was private stock but I think it's been modified along the way cause those ain't 2002 pups.
Yeah, I put in the 59/09's. Someone had put in a custom custom in the bridge and a JB in the neck. Not my flavors...

Right around 2000, PRS stopped using the locking tuners on non trem guitars. IIRC, they did this for 3 years, or so...

Right around 2000, PRS stopped using the locking tuners on non trem guitars. IIRC, they did this for 3 years, or so...
Thanks Jamie,

I don't remember seeing Cu22's with stoptails without locking tuners. I remember McCartys didn't, but didn't they have thicker headstocks?

I appreciate the information.

Back