2001 prs sc250 vintage tuners upgrade

Lheadri2

I’ve tried researching previous threads but have found contradicting answers.

I would like locking tuners on this 2001 sc250. Will prs phase 3 tuners work on this guitar? Someone mentioned the thickness of the headstock is different than modern headstocks. If the phase 3 tuners don’t work, could i swap for new prs vintage tuners (like what’s on the silver sky) ? I don’t mind the footprint of the old tuner showing. Thanks for the help!

One person said the new ones are designed for a thicker headstock? Can you confirm this doesn’t matter? Thanks!
No idea tbh. I can measure my mates 594 S2 that has the new vintage tuners and report that back so you can compare it with your guitar

Right the S2 594 with vintage tuners headstock is 15.5 to 15.8mm thick.

Forgot that I posted about this . went with phase iii’s and decided to use the little cover plates that I saw on a silver sky mod. Only thing that bugs me is the original tuners on top weren’t exactly on straight. So if it bugs me enough I may fill in the holes and straighten them. You may have to zoom in to see the cover plates

Forgot that I posted about this . went with phase iii’s and decided to use the little cover plates that I saw on a silver sky mod. Only thing that bugs me is the original tuners on top weren’t exactly on straight. So if it bugs me enough I may fill in the holes and straighten them. You may have to zoom in to see the cover plates
In picture 7, the original tuners look to be crooked to begin with. Is it the angle of the photo?
When it’s time to change the tuners on my Singlecuts, this is the method that I’m going with.

In picture 7, the original tuners look to be crooked to begin with. Is it the angle of the photo?
When it’s time to change the tuners on my Singlecuts, this is the method that I’m going with.
Exactly! They were crooked to begin with. That’s one reason I posted, to see if other people have had crooked tuners . I’ll prob fill in the holes and straighten them. That’s another good thing about the black plate . It would cover up any imperfections

Phase III are brilliant tuners. The only vintage style I like are the Gotoh Fender use who also make the Phase III tuners!
I don’t mind the new vintage tuners that lock , like what’s on the silver sky. But I’m like you, I prefer the phase iii’s so If I was gonna change to locking, might as well go with the ones I prefer while I was at it

I put Phase 3 on my Fiore so I have a set of vintage backed tuners with steel buttons
I have a blue fiore and those buttons feel so odd. I prefer the silver sky buttons even though I didn’t like them at first . The main reason I did this was to get locking tuners. I’m sure somebody would like to have that fiore set

Back