Need Soapbar advice.

windsongstudios

I am a total diehard PRS guy...just wanted to get that out in the open.

So....

Collings 290 or McCarty 2007 Brazzy Korina Soapy?

and go.....:)

Looking to pull the trigger on something tomorrow.

Last edited:
Consider the Custom 22 soapbar available in the artist package with three soapies! The NAMM thread has a pic of one in blue fade.

Take some time and find a used Thorn Jr90.
There have been two that sold recently in or close to your price range.

I love my PRSi as well.
IMHO the Jr90 is significantly better.

I haven't played the Collings.

Last edited:
Both are amazing. There are some Soapy Customs new that are close to your price range. That is one of my favorite P-90 guitars. The 290 is cool. They are different vibes. Which speaks the most to you?

The Collings was designed to be a nicer-finished version of the old Gibson LP Jrs, and in fact it sounds an awful lot like them. I had several Collings (not that model), and they're nice axes.

The PRS isn't a reproduction, it's got a different voice (and I think maybe a touch more openness, again, a result of not trying to sound like an old guitar).

Both are beautifully built, and sound great. Faced with the very same choice, I went with the PRS, YMMV.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I went with the McSoapy.
And I was going to add that the PRS has a contoured, arched top, and the Collings doesn't. Not that that may have much to do with how either sounds or plays, but the arch top is still nicer.

I have a '56 LP Junior that I came *this* close to gigging. While the pups sound completely different, McSoapies play 1000x better, have solid intonation and if you damage it or have it stolen, you won't kick yourself in the jewels for taking it out. In full disclosure, I didn't opt for the McSoapy to replace the Junior, it was an SE One that stole my heart.

Brazzy McCarty Soapbar can be done in your budget range, no problem. Incredible guitars...

339573308.jpg

Back