McCarty 594 - HB ii or Solid?

Which McCarty 594 should I buy?

• McCarty 594 HOLLOWBODY II Trampas Green Smokeburst Non-10 top +$300

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • McCarty 594 SOLIDBODY Faded Blue Jean 10 Top ($300 less than HB ii)

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Ohreallynow

Every few years I refresh my small collection depending on what/who I'm playing with. I recently sold my Standard 335 and Silversky but still have a Custom Shop '61 335 a DGT, and a homemade tele. I've been looking for a McCarty 594 and found two different ones locally and wanted to get your opinions. Guitar #1 is a McCarty 594 HB II in Trampas Green Smokeburst Guitar #2 is a McCarty 594 Solidbody in Faded Blue Jean 10 Top. Both are lightly used (they were made within two weeks of each other in 2021 according to their hang tags.

I can't decide between them and need some advice. I play mostly jam band stuff, classic rock, and blues with the occasional jazz tune thrown in (I am definitely not a jazz player though).

The HB II is $300 more and is much lighter (due to the hollow body) but the solidbody has a much nicer top. Not sure which would hold its value better (if at all) but that could be the tie breaker.

Thanks!

I am one who thinks that a PRS Hollow Body guitar should have a Piezo system in it. They don't do that for the 594 HB. That would lead me to buying the Solid Body. I have a solid body double cut 594 and love it. I have a couple of Hollow Body PRS guitars too, with Piezo. I like those as well and love the versatility they give me in a band context. I played one of them exclusively in the last band I was in. We did a lot of songs where I would flip over to the acoustic tones and go back and forth and use both at the same time occasionally. Without that Piezo option, I would grab my double cut solid body 594. It has been my most played PRS for a while now and I have a fair number of them.

I am one that prefers a longer scale guitar so the 594 is kind of iffy for me.

I had a 594sc for a short while. I wasn't sure I'd like it but a forum member here was selling for a really good price so I gave it a shot.

Didn't like it but was able to trade it even up for a killer top 89cu24.

Every few years I refresh my small collection depending on what/who I'm playing with. I recently sold my Standard 335 and Silversky but still have a Custom Shop '61 335 a DGT, and a homemade tele. I've been looking for a McCarty 594 and found two different ones locally and wanted to get your opinions. Guitar #1 is a McCarty 594 HB II in Trampas Green Smokeburst Guitar #2 is a McCarty 594 Solidbody in Faded Blue Jean 10 Top. Both are lightly used (they were made within two weeks of each other in 2021 according to their hang tags.

I can't decide between them and need some advice. I play mostly jam band stuff, classic rock, and blues with the occasional jazz tune thrown in (I am definitely not a jazz player though).

The HB II is $300 more and is much lighter (due to the hollow body) but the solidbody has a much nicer top. Not sure which would hold its value better (if at all) but that could be the tie breaker.

Thanks!
I had a Custom Shop 335, and it was terrific, but also different from the SC594 HB. For me, it would not come down to the color, the top or the resale value (which is unpredictable at best).

It would come down to whether I want the tone of a hollow or solid body. Whether you want something in the direction of your 335, but different; or something more in the direction of your DGT, but different.

That's a question only you can answer.

If it's just about the color or the resale, please ignore everything I've said. :)

I would go with the Hollowbody because of the weight. I’ve been so spoiled with hollows and semis being so nice and light.

If you want a piezo why not just go for the normal HBII? While the coil tap options on the 594 are great, at the end of the day I still think I prefer my piezo equipped HBII’s over the 594 HB.

Hey. I have heard there is a difference in necks as well. I can't say from experience, but my HB II neck feels really good. It is smoother, and faster than either of the ,335's I owned. Not sure about the fat wide neck on the Piezo as I have never had the chance to play one.
Also, mine is in Trampas Green Smokeburst and it looks exceptional. I may be prejudiced though since my sweet (departed) wife was Irish.

Back