Need a few pickup recommendations!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Hi all, thinking about swapping out the #7 bridge in my S2 Satin 22 for something different. While the #7 does sound very good, it's just not what I want in that guitar right now. In my S2 Semi, the 7's are perfect and I have no intent to change them. In the solid body Satin, the bridge pickup is twangy, and has an upper mid push to it - almost Tele-ish, actually a great tone if I weren't doing harder rock. But for now, I'd like to investigate something with more low and low mid content, and more output. And, preferably covered, with an Alnico mag. Although I could be persuaded to look into an \m/.

Possibilities so far are the Dimarzio Andy Timmons model, SD Custom, and Bare Knuckle Black Dog. Any other suggestions?

Gonna have to say that Mojotone is probably making some of the best sounding pickups on the market. You should check them out. I have the PW Hornets in my S2 Singlecut and they are fantastic. www.mojotone.com

Hi all, thinking about swapping out the #7 bridge in my S2 Satin 22 for something different. While the #7 does sound very good, it's just not what I want in that guitar right now. In my S2 Semi, the 7's are perfect and I have no intent to change them. In the solid body Satin, the bridge pickup is twangy, and has an upper mid push to it - almost Tele-ish, actually a great tone if I weren't doing harder rock. But for now, I'd like to investigate something with more low and low mid content, and more output. And, preferably covered, with an Alnico mag. Although I could be persuaded to look into an \m/.

Possibilities so far are the Dimarzio Andy Timmons model, SD Custom, and Bare Knuckle Black Dog. Any other suggestions?

Hey Andy I have BN Mules in my SE Bernie ! Highly recommended !

I am thinking the Duncan Custom Custom (the one with an Alnico 2 magnet) would float your boat. I just put one in my '03 SE Santana and it's doing exactly what you're after, more low mid content, more power, sweetens the highs nicely, splits well. Given our guitars are very similar, and I had issues with my bridge pickup being too bright, this will likely float your boat.

Hey Andy, I had a Dimarzio Andy Timmons in my Cu24 for a while and loved it. Very different and, IMO, worked well with the guitar. It was eventually replaced with a 59/09, but the AT was a fun and cool sounding pup. Stil l have it, too, if you're interested. PM me, if so.

Hi all, thinking about swapping out the #7 bridge in my S2 Satin 22 for something different. While the #7 does sound very good, it's just not what I want in that guitar right now. In my S2 Semi, the 7's are perfect and I have no intent to change them. In the solid body Satin, the bridge pickup is twangy, and has an upper mid push to it - almost Tele-ish, actually a great tone if I weren't doing harder rock.

Andy, I'm surprised by your description of the tones in the solid body. I've never tried 7s in an S2, but 7s in a SC solid body are anything but "tele-ish". As a matter of fact, the SC trem RWs that I play all have 7s, and I think they are a great hard rock pickup with lots of smooth sustain. Maybe we're using different amps (I play through a PRS 2 Channel Custom or a Boogie Mark 5 35)?

I'm not trying to be confrontational; I'm just confused by the tones you're getting.

I had a Dimarzio Super Distortion in a brighter guitar for awhile and it tamed the high end a good bit.
Andy, I'm surprised by your description of the tones in the solid body. I've never tried 7s in an S2, but 7s in a SC solid body are anything but "tele-ish". As a matter of fact, the SC trem RWs that I play all have 7s, and I think they are a great hard rock pickup with lots of smooth sustain. Maybe we're using different amps (I play through a PRS 2 Channel Custom or a Boogie Mark 5 35)?

I'm not trying to be confrontational; I'm just confused by the tones you're getting.
Sounds weird to me too. I'm not overly familiar, but had the ZM for awhile and they sounded pretty thick in that guitar. Could something be wrong with pickup or wiring?
I am thinking the Duncan Custom Custom (the one with an Alnico 2 magnet) would float your boat. I just put one in my '03 SE Santana and it's doing exactly what you're after, more low mid content, more power, sweetens the highs nicely, splits well. Given our guitars are very similar, and I had issues with my bridge pickup being too bright, this will likely float your boat.
Always wanted to try one of these and just never did.

+1 BK Mules. These pickups are amazing! From creamy vintage tones to hard rock growl just turning the volume pot.

Totally recommended!

No offense taken! My benchmark for comparison is my SE Akesson (singlecut w/57/08's and stoptail), which sounds very thick and ballsy. I would like to get the S2 sounding more like that - I bought it needing a trem and different control layout, but want a similar sound if possible. Maybe too much to ask considering how different the guitars are? The biggest difference between your SC trems and this guitar is the body shape and thickness, but also finish, neck wood, and S2 vs. core parts. Maybe I'll play with the pickup height and pole pieces and see if I can get something different out of it.

I'll also try to post a comparison clip if I get a few extra minutes.

If you comparison is the 57/08 and like that well try that :)
for something different I have a Dimarizo Tone Zone ( 36 anv neck ) it is a great combo in my CU22 very big sounding

Andy

I believe the BN Riff Raffs are hotter than the Mules but still in the PAF territory ! I have them in my SE Santana !

Abraxas are hotter Mules, some more punch on paper, but once I asked Tim (BK owner) what will be a more powerful substitute for a Mules set and he recommended me a Rebell Yell set.

Abraxas are hotter Mules, some more punch on paper, but once I asked Tim (BK owner) what will be a more powerful substitute for a Mules set and he recommended me a Rebell Yell set.
Good point here. Andy, if you're thinking about BK's, one of thre reasons I was drawn to them was their customer service. I'd read good things, and found out first hand they were true. Since they're mostly made to order, I was contacted to find out what my plans were for them so they could wire them the right way. Tim was open to dialogue on tones, and what fits best. They also have some good samples of all their p/u's on their website.

Good point here. Andy, if you're thinking about BK's, one of thre reasons I was drawn to them was their customer service. I'd read good things, and found out first hand they were true. Since they're mostly made to order, I was contacted to find out what my plans were for them so they could wire them the right way. Tim was open to dialogue on tones, and what fits best. They also have some good samples of all their p/u's on their website.

I agree with Bodia ! When I got my BN Mules & Riff Raffs I had consulted Tim about the guitars they were going into ! He was extremely helpful ! Yes their customer service is top notch !

I have a set of Rebel Yells in a Les Paul R9, and I love the match. Combined with the R9 electronics, not as heavy as you'd expect. Hotter than typical PAF, but not completely outside the range.

Kevin

Back