Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
Hey guys! There is a PRS Special Semi Hollow I am interested in, but the previous owner has removed the Narrowfield. I can’t find them anywhere. Does anyone know where to get one aftermarket, if PRS will reinstall one, etc? I’d like to buy the guitar but I want to return it to stock. Thanks!

They are hard to come by. When they come up they are gone pretty quickly. I asked prs a while back and they don’t sell them at all. I would bank in not finding one. Only say that as I have been trying to find one or two for a while now and no luck.

IDK... it doesn't seem a great proposition to get into a used NF guitar with the idea of trying to get it back to stock. Simply because those NF pickups just aren't really all that easy to find.

And also, I'd be curious to know what kind of pickup and/or electronics did they put into the guitar, since no other pickup out there has the same shape/cutout. (Did they have to cut some wood or the pickguard to fit something else in there, etc.?) But I suppose this would also matter more if we knew what kind of narrowfield PRS we're talking about here--is it a Studio or SAS or ME III with just humbucker rings, or an NF3 with a pickguard?

But I suppose this would also matter more if we knew what kind of narrowfield PRS we're talking about here--is it a Studio or SAS or ME III with just humbucker rings, or an NF3 with a pickguard?

Special semi-hollow.

Since I got my SAS NF a year ago, I've been moderately obsessed with the NF pickups. Regularly checking listings, I've only ever seen one listed for sale and it came out of a Special. I believe it was posted less than a week at $400 before it sold.

I‘m sure you did but did you ask the owner if they have the pickup available ( even if you have to install)? Or where it went. That’s a strange way to sell a guitar and could raise other flags but what do I know lol. Good luck.
They took it out to add a middle pickup to another guitar they had

IDK... it doesn't seem a great proposition to get into a used NF guitar with the idea of trying to get it back to stock. Simply because those NF pickups just aren't really all that easy to find.

And also, I'd be curious to know what kind of pickup and/or electronics did they put into the guitar, since no other pickup out there has the same shape/cutout. (Did they have to cut some wood or the pickguard to fit something else in there, etc.?) But I suppose this would also matter more if we knew what kind of narrowfield PRS we're talking about here--is it a Studio or SAS or ME III with just humbucker rings, or an NF3 with a pickguard?
There's nothing there right now. They took it out to put in another guitar before selling this one. So the guitar is a good deal because of this, even if I spend $3-400 on a pickup. Its a special semi hollow. PRS sells the rings though, so I'm jut trying to find a pickup

Even if they don’t sell one separately it wouldn’t hurt to ask PTC if they’d install one for you (won’t be cheap of course).

Back